North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Enough to sell TB?
    Perhaps
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm amped for the 29er Element RSL as a race bike for next year. But back to the Altitude 650b...

LeeL: In your review you suggest the new Altitude might be pushing pretty far into the range of the Slayer. Care to say more about that? The standard 'trail bike' for much of the riding around here is a Giant Reign, with Nomads also common. Is the 650 Altitude covering the same bases as those bikes? Geometry makes it looks like that is the case -- but the Altitude is pretty darn light.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    650b altitude imo is so capable it can run well into what a 160^170mm travel bike can do,

It will be at least if not better dh than the Reign. It might match a Nomad although that depends on build.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    650b altitude imo is so capable it can run well into what a 160^170mm travel bike can do,

It will be at least if not better dh than the Reign. It might match a Nomad although that depends on build.
    Where would the Sight B1 fall in that spectrum? A bit more of an XC feel than the others? Or would you choose the new Altitude for a day with 1000+ meters of climbing?
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Just did "Severed D**k" on North Shore yesterday, LeeL Missed the turn off to "Shorn Scrotum", but since I was going UP the trail, I think I remember the turn off. Sigh, will get it next time, hopefully.

So, the past few months I've had my heart set on getting a Element 50. But after seeing a Slayer 70 at Big Tree Bikes (no affiliation) this week and doing severed d. yesterday, I think I want a Slayer instead, or at the minimum a Altitude 750. That trail is one wild beast...
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

ups and downs
    Were there any of the new Instinct 970/950 at the demo for comparison. I'm still thinking the Instinct might be the best step up from the Element 70 MSL to bigger wheels for me.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Thanks for the assessment. I may need to consider a complete change of my 2 bike arsenal then.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Where would the Sight B1 fall in that spectrum? A bit more of an XC feel than the others? Or would you choose the new Altitude for a day with 1000+ meters of climbing?
    I think the SIght is comparable to the Altitude but thats,s off the cuff without much time and I hate making that big a deal about it till I,ve had time as i dont want to mislead. Id have to look at the price lists. That,d be more of a fair comparison otherwise one would be doing apples to oranges comparison

Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Just did "Severed D**k" on North Shore yesterday, LeeL Missed the turn off to "Shorn Scrotum", but since I was going UP the trail, I think I remember the turn off. Sigh, will get it next time, hopefully.

So, the past few months I've had my heart set on getting a Element 50. But after seeing a Slayer 70 at Big Tree Bikes (no affiliation) this week and doing severed d. yesterday, I think I want a Slayer instead, or at the minimum a Altitude 750. That trail is one wild beast...
    Can,t help you there but keep in mind that Severed and Shorn Scrotum are among the easiest Shore trails so it kind of depends on what you want to to ride. Most of us would ride the Altitude on Severed. I,d do the Element myself on Severed (not bragging - just saying).

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Were there any of the new Instinct 970/950 at the demo for comparison. I'm still thinking the Instinct might be the best step up from the Element 70 MSL to bigger wheels for me.
    No. To be honest i wonder why one would pick the Instinct when the Altitude kicks so much ass and prob be built as light But thats not fair to say when I havent ridden the Instinct. But Ive really drunk the Altitude koolaid

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Lee - I have the 2011 stumpy evo. How would this compare? I am really liking what I see...
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Lee - I have the 2011 stumpy evo. How would this compare? I am really liking what I see...
    No idea

mtbr member
    Has MSRP on the 750 gone up? Seeing $4k here: Rocky Mountain Altitude 750: 27.5 Mountain Bikes | Bicycling Magazine

ups and downs
    I'd expect it's more likely that Bike Magazine has a typo because $4,499 was too complicated to type.

chips & bier
    The 26" MSL is already so gnar...
    Okay, so given that and your comment that the Altitude is getting into 160-170 mm x 26" territory in terms of capability... do you think I should be skipping the Altitude and heading straight for a Slayer to add to my Element MSL?

I ask as I suspect my Element probably isn't the best choice for the enduro racing I'll be doing....

Thanks!
    Eric

ups and downs
    The Altitude would be much lighter and racier than a Slayer, especially with the Ride9 adjustability

chips & bier
    Check. Thanks for that reminder :-)

There are a couple of other issues with the Slayer, as well. The 70 frameset is already sold out over here (gotta check on a complete bike) and the TT is so short that it would be a chore to get up the hill. My back's a mess and I need a relatively long bike to be able to ride for hours.

Thing is, I'm a bit worried an Altitude would still be too much overlap with the Element to justify another bike in the shed. I'm a pretty capable descender on the Element (nowhere near the regular enduro circuit guys obviously, but that's me, not the bike...). I'm just afraid I'll trash the poor thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I'd expect it's more likely that Bike Magazine has a typo because $4,499 was too complicated to type.
    Hoping that is the case

750 and 750MSL are at the top of my list for a new trail bike this year.

ups and downs
    I still haven't had a chance to wring out the Instinct 970 yet, but the Altitude looks like an ideal all mountain bike.

The Element 70 MSL looks like a pretty sturdy bike, par example

https://vimeo.com/40560345

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone know if you can run the Fox rear on the carbon versions without that massive handlebar lockout and cable... similar to the propedal switch?

I am looking at the 750 or 750msl and REALLY don't want that thing, so I am leaning more towards the 750 with the Shimano bits..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The remote kit on the rear shock is retrofitable to be non-remote, by Fox or any authorized Fox dealer with the knowledge of the repair.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM2 View Post
    The remote kit on the rear shock is retrofitable to be non-remote, by Fox or any authorized Fox dealer with the knowledge of the repair.
    Thanks!

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    this bike is hawt
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL - kperras's Bike Check - Vital MTB

25.9 lbs w/o pedals. Do you think it's superlight version of the frame?

Also Rocky Mountain offer this 790 bike or frame in raw carbon version! I'd buy one otherwise it's a 770 or 730. Oh yeah or an Intense Carbine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Been debating hard between the element 970/BC edition, altitude 770, and the intense carbine. so many good choices!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    this bike is hawt
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude MSL - kperras's Bike Check - Vital MTB

25.9 lbs w/o pedals. Do you think it's superlight version of the frame?

Also Rocky Mountain offer this 790 bike or frame in raw carbon version! I'd buy one otherwise it's a 770 or 730. Oh yeah or an Intense Carbine.
    Raw Carbon version of the 790? Where have you seen or read that. All I can find is the black/yellow one.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    Raw Carbon version of the 790? Where have you seen or read that. All I can find is the black/yellow one.
    I haven't just not a fan of rocky mountain two tone paint schemes- generally like raw or black. Seeing this rocky mountain employees 790 in raw carbon...I was hoping that rocky may have set aside some frames and not sent to paint yet. I had my LBS contact and they said nope only painted ones available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2