Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    I just want to know how this thing descends.... How does it feel? Fun, lazy, etc etc
    I just plunked down a few months rent for one of these puppies. One of my first stops will be Seven Springs in western PA where there are some legit descents (for this part of the country). I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm expecting it to be killer. Can't wait to dial in the ride9 and float....pics coming this week.
    2013: RM Instinct 970

2012: Pinarello FP Quattro

2011: The last time I had money for anything besides biking

mtbr member
    That Raw one is bad-ass!

ups and downs
    Is the raw frame one of the alloy bikes that were built in Canada for the press demos last fall? That is pretty spiffy. Nice wheels, BTW.

I have broken my vow to avoid going weight weenie on the Instinct 970. Shaved 1.5 pounds off with wheels and a switch to XT brakes with XTR rotors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Instinct FAQs-2013_0423new0002.jpg  

2013 Instinct FAQs-2013_0418new0004.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Is the raw frame one of the alloy bikes that were built in Canada for the press demos last fall?
    The bike is not a press bike. This bike will be competing in the BME, most of the NAET, and one of the EWS events. We'll see how she does... though last I heard the rider has something to do with the equation. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    How's the clearance with the 2.2's?
    A hans 2.35 on the rear will rub if you are a masher at full throttle, by this I mean a Cat 1 masher running a 36T upfront single at full sprint or start practice. This is more the OEM wheelset than chassis though, a set of Enve's cured this immediately.

If you run a 1x guide, you will put the rear shift cable in a precarious position to run a wider tire, zip ties to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Do you agree with the magazine about the pedal efficiency and suspension efficiency scores? Does it really bob under power? I ask because they also say that the Element 970 bobs, bit I never noticed such a treat in my bike.
    If you climb in descend mode in the rear, it will. If you have pressure set correctly in the rear, in trail and climb you're fine. I find the descend mode in the Fox CTD shocks to be lacking any progressiveness, and never use it. This bike excels in the trail and climb modes.

... I have broken my vow to avoid going weight weenie on the Instinct 970. Shaved 1.5 pounds off with wheels and a switch to XT brakes with XTR rotors.
    Excellent choice, on both counts. I just cannot get over how good these wheels are... ( or expensive even with team deals . ) These wheels really finish off the chassis IMHO and riding with higher pressures at race speeds downhill make pumping a fun a lively pass time.

----

Lastly, someone asked about descending. As a top 10 Super-D rider in the MSC for 2012 ( for whatever this is or isn't worth to you ), I can verify to you that this bike will jump, turn, pump, and descend really well if you are used to doing these things on a 29 chassis. Manuals... not so much, but hey... As with all things, this cannot be all things, but the usual compromises made in longer travel 29ers are handily dealt with via the Ride9 bit to a large extent. This will be the 3rd long travel 29er I have raced in Super-Ds and Enduros, and in training and practice so far, it is by far the best. Time will tell though...

The ride9 will allow you tweak per stage/event, as well as find your own sweet spot for the trails in your back yard. The steering is classic dead nuts RM neutral, the chassis takes mid-corner line changes very well, and once its on line its a bit of auto-pilot.

Once the regional race season begins here in CO, i'll update this thread with observations on the chassis and how I get on with her.

Also, if you own this bike, post in this thread. Let RM know your feedback, they take it to heart. And given that they are pretty much sold out ( to dealers anyways ) on these I would hope they see it in their kind hearts to produce a carbon version sooner rather than later.

rodeoj
    Last edited by rodeoj; 04-23-2013 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    I have broken my vow to avoid going weight weenie on the Instinct 970. Shaved 1.5 pounds off with wheels and a switch to XT brakes with XTR rotors.
    agree with rodeoj...the enves complete the package. this bike could have been in zero dark thirty
    2013: RM Instinct 970

2012: Pinarello FP Quattro

2011: The last time I had money for anything besides biking

ups and downs
    I've got the black ENVE decals too... stealthier

mtbr member
    I went to the local Rocky Mountain Demo event to ride an element 950 or 970 again to make sure it was true love before pulling the trigger. I rode an Instinct 970 while there, on a whim, and the bike felt “right” from the moment I threw a leg over it. It was one of the most fun & dialed feeling bikes I have ever ridden, right from the start.

I have to say, the RM suspension does bob, this isn’t a new thing. If I were buying a bike for suspension performance alone, I would be looking at a DW bike or similar design. The RM will most likely be my next bike because their geometry and the ride that comes with the perfect geometry for the bikes purpose. I think RMs suspension is one that does need the shock platform, but that’s fine most do…and I was completely impressed with Fox’s CTD. Previous models of Fox shocks (as well as last years Monarch) on the Element seemed to have very little change when flipping the lever. Going between C & D on the CTD is like 2 completely different bikes!

The bike I rode was in the factory setting (neutral) My first thought was the bar mounted control for the rear shock was overkill –nope, its awesome. This bike felt like a long travel, beast of a bike on the descents, stable and very neutral, yet didn’t feel sluggish or long. The Instinct felt like it begged to be pushed much harder on the descent than most first rides let you get accustomed to. Climbing felt surprisingly efficient. Usually a bike that feels really stable on the downhill tends to be a pig on the climbs, I did not experience this. This bike is a sleeper, I never gave it a lot of thought really, and I don’t hear much about it…but I may be in love….the black is just plain badass too! I can see how some people may not like the finish for the price of the bike, it looks like someone grabbed some black paint and sprayed right over the decals. I dig it and I get it.

My only complaints would be the weight & the price. (these 2 are directly connected) For the price of the 970, I don’t think you should have to spend a sizeable chunk of coin getting the weight down.

One thing for sure though, this bike put the fun factor through the roof IMO. It sounds really cliché, but this bike made me want to just keep riding.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been riding my instinct for 2 months now, and love the ride, but I'm a little annoyed to say that this is the noisiest bike I've ever owned.

I think it developed its first pivot creak 10km into my first ride on it, and after the first week sounded as bad as my Reign X got after three years without service.

I've since had the swing link changed out under warranty, all the pivots striped, cleaned, and carefully re-assembled twice, the plastic crown race changed to metal, and I'm on a loaner wheelset while mine is getting warrantied, but the creaking comes back first ride after every trip to the shop.

The last time, after cleaning, carefully torquing and locktiting the pivot bolts it lasted all of 35km of trail riding before the creak came back - a new record, but painfully short.

This is annoying me because in my experience, creaking means somethings about to fail.

Does anybody else have this same complaint? Is dust getting into the ABC pivots? Is this a warranty issue? Or am I just too heavy for this pivot design?

I'm about 215lb without gear, and I try to ride hard, but that isn't a rediculous weight for someone that will fit an XL frame.

Trevor

ups and downs
    Creaking is usually more about contact points not having enough grease at the metal to metal contact points, or the wrong type of grease that isn't staying where it needs to. So a white lithium grease isn't as good on pivots as a thicker grease like Phil Woods. The ABC bushings should be fine unless they are getting crud in them past the o-rings.

You mentioned that the swing link was already replaced on warranty, what was the issue there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorwg View Post
    I've been riding my instinct for 2 months now, and love the ride, but I'm a little annoyed to say that this is the noisiest bike I've ever owned.

I think it developed its first pivot creak 10km into my first ride on it, and after the first week sounded as bad as my Reign X got after three years without service.

I've since had the swing link changed out under warranty, all the pivots striped, cleaned, and carefully re-assembled twice, the plastic crown race changed to metal, and I'm on a loaner wheelset while mine is getting warrantied, but the creaking comes back first ride after every trip to the shop.

The last time, after cleaning, carefully torquing and locktiting the pivot bolts it lasted all of 35km of trail riding before the creak came back - a new record, but painfully short.

This is annoying me because in my experience, creaking means somethings about to fail.

Does anybody else have this same complaint? Is dust getting into the ABC pivots? Is this a warranty issue? Or am I just too heavy for this pivot design?

I'm about 215lb without gear, and I try to ride hard, but that isn't a rediculous weight for someone that will fit an XL frame.

Trevor
    You know, I totally forgot to mention that, but the bike I demo'd creaked BAD. I was hoping it was a fluke and just a neglected demo bike, but now, that is a point of concern. Curious if there are more people having this issue with the Instinct?

mtbr member
    I guess it's the same problem that plagued the early Element 29ers: dry axles. I lubed them and the creaking was gone. Seeing as the Instinct uses the same basic layout as the Element, I would guess to lube the pivot axles (not the bushings).

@Rockyuphill: What setting do you prefer on the ride-9? I'm currently torn between the (non-existing) Titus El Guapo 29er, the Specialized enduro 29 comp and the Rocky Mountain Instinct. Since I already have an Element, I'm biased towards the Instinct, but the Enduro seems a great platform too and has more travel. But comparing geometry numbers, the Instinct is specced with the same wheelbase as the Enduro eventhoug the Enduro has 430mm chainstays vs 452mm of the Instinct. So I guess this is all in the headangle.

ups and downs
    So far I've stuck with the as shipped neutral setting as I have been riding in a more XC type trail. If I can avoid catching any more cold viruses and actually get back to riding and get it out on a wider variety of trails I will try some other Ride9 configurations.

I guess it's the same problem that plagued the early Element 29ers: dry axles. I lubed them and the creaking was gone. Seeing as the Instinct uses the same basic layout as the Element, I would guess to lube the pivot axles (not the bushings).

@Rockyuphill: What setting do you prefer on the ride-9? I'm currently torn between the (non-existing) Titus El Guapo 29er, the Specialized enduro 29 comp and the Rocky Mountain Instinct. Since I already have an Element, I'm biased towards the Instinct, but the Enduro seems a great platform too and has more travel. But comparing geometry numbers, the Instinct is specced with the same wheelbase as the Enduro eventhoug the Enduro has 430mm chainstays vs 452mm of the Instinct. So I guess this is all in the headangle.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Creaking is usually more about contact points not having enough grease at the metal to metal contact points, or the wrong type of grease that isn't staying where it needs to. So a white lithium grease isn't as good on pivots as a thicker grease like Phil Woods. The ABC bushings should be fine unless they are getting crud in them past the o-rings.

You mentioned that the swing link was already replaced on warranty, what was the issue there?
    I haven't had the linkage apart myself yet, so I don't know what's getting past the o-rings. If I take it apart I'll look for any metal-metal contact.

The pivot between the top tube and the swing link had an alignment issue, so it wouldn't turn freely. With the shock removed it took about 15 lb of force at the wheel to cycle the suspension. With the new link it takes less than a pound.

So you're saying to add grease between the pivot bolts and anything they touch that's metal right? That kind of makes sense, and agrees with what rockyuphill said. I'll give that a shot and report back.

This wasn't directed at me, but I've been riding mostly in setting 9:
    (heavy rider, steep angles). I was clipping pedals a lot in the neutral position, and I find the bike is more than slack enough for XC in the steep position. I've been meaning to try the steepest head angle position too but haven't gotten around to it yet.

2013 Instinct FAQs-9.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think I figured out the creaking. The pivot bolt down by the bottom bracket was a little bit loose. I've had one quiet ride since tightening it, and I put locktite on, so hopefully this is the end of the noise.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I threw a fox 34 140 on the Instinct... fun++.

ups and downs
    The not-at-all-well-kept-secret carbon Instinct 29 MSL was covered in the Bike magazine

Rocky Mountain Launches Carbon Instinct MSl 29er

And there will be a frame only option for the 999 MSL

And an intro video

https://vimeo.com/69340020
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Instinct FAQs-instinct-999-msl.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 07-01-2013 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wow that bc edition could be a winner.

mtbr member
    I've been drooling over that eye candy all day!

So, did they change the geometry for 2014? because the Ride9 geo #s look different from the 2013 data..I thought it was the same bike other than the carbon build obviously.
    First Look: Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL ? 130mm Travel Carbon 29er Revealed | Mountain Bike Review

ups and downs
    That screen shot of the Ride 9 page in the Instinct preview are the Altitude as those are the 650B Altitude numbers.

There'd be no real reason to tweak the geo numbers with the Ride 9 it can be tweaked just about any direction.

mtbr member
    Ahhh, Ok, that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anybody have an idea of the specs or reviews on the dt swiss m1.6 wheels?

I can't find any info anywhere.

ups and downs
    My DT Swiss M1.6 wheels weighed 2010gms and the hubs are about equal to a DT Swiss 350. They have the star ratchet system. I think all of DT's alloy rims are a bit softer than Mavic rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hmm - so wheelset might be soft as well as relatively heavy and relatively narrow.

So far that's been my biggest complaint with my 2013 970 - considering a wheelset upgrade

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hmm - another question about the m1.6 - was that 2050 g without brake rotors and cassette, or weight naked?

If that includes rotors and cassettes, then the wheels aren't as heavy as I thought.

I have been giving some thought to upgrading to a wider rim and at 2050 either the Stan's flow ex or arch would be lighter than the m1.6.

ups and downs
    Bare wheels with hubs, spokes, rims and rim strips only. I replaced mine with Enve carbon wheels at 1415gms. Boy did that make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr1978 View Post
    Hmm - another question about the m1.6 - was that 2050 g without brake rotors and cassette, or weight naked?

If that includes rotors and cassettes, then the wheels aren't as heavy as I thought.

I have been giving some thought to upgrading to a wider rim and at 2050 either the Stan's flow ex or arch would be lighter than the m1.6.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast