Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode the Instinct 29'er briefly (20 minutes) after a 4 hour, very technical, rock and root infested NEMBA ride and on pretty spent legs and 1 nasty trip over the bars. Towards the end of the 4 hour ride it started raining and the trails got really sketchy and you had to be really careful getting on the front brake. The roots were like ice and it was really easy to spin out on the rocks in difficult climbs.

The bad news for me...the new 650B Altitude never made it. I was totally bummed about that as that's the bike I really wanted to try since my current bike is a 650B Jamis Dakar. The Rocky guys said there's only a handful in the US and apparently out west someplace. The Instinct 29'er was there in my size which I rode once again on tired legs and slick wet trails. I think it was setup to stiff in the back but surprisingly the Fox fork felt pretty smooth and plush. Otherwise it really didn't do anything for me on this brief ride to make me go wow (Stealth Reverb was sweet though). Yup the wheel rolls over stuff a bit easier but it just felt like you were riding a big bike that plows over and through stuff. My Jamis 650B feels more lively which I like and honestly I preferred the Specialized Test FSR Stumpy Comp 29'er better (but I had it for 3 days and dialed in all the settings). Both have 130mm travel. Funny, I didn't really care for the Rocky Element 29'er I rode either at another event (not my style bike really). The Instinct also had this feeling of heaviness to it even if it might have been 30lbs like the Rocky guy thought. I was tired though and that very well could be part of it. Ride was to short for a real proper evaluation so take it with a bag of salt but that's my first impression. Also haven't ridden allot of 29'ers but I almost hate to say this but I did really like the 2012 Spec. Test bike...but that was coming off my 08 Prophet which I now realize sucks in so many ways compared to a new bike. My new Jamis Dakar is really nice but to many pedal hits in New England rocks is a bummer. Very tall new 650B Schwalbe NN tires en route from Germany now which may help that a bit.

When my local Rocky dealer has the Instinct and Altitude for demo I will spend a day on each one for a proper test. Sadly it probably wont be until early next year and we could be buried under snow.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've read some describing this as a long travel Element, which sounds perfect. The wheelbase is much longer than the Element, though. I wonder if it will lose that magic touch the Element has.

Wish I could find more info on this bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorwg View Post
    I pre-ordered one and wasn't expecting to see it until March, but my shop told me yesterday that it might be here in a couple of weeks!

Apparently the frames are already in Vancouver getting assembled. This was for an XL 950 - other sizes might be a different story.
    This turned out to be a mis-communication. The actual ETA is mid-February.

ups and downs
    I saw an Instinct 950 and 970 in the LBS today. The 970 looks really good with the gloss black decals on matte black paint. I think a 970 is in my future. I wasn't able to see it on a scale, I'm curious what it weighs.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I saw an Instinct 950 and 970 in the LBS today. The 970 looks really good with the gloss black decals on matte black paint. I think a 970 is in my future. I wasn't able to see it on a scale, I'm curious what it weighs.
    well hopefully someone gets on one of these soon and tells how it is

ups and downs
    Part way there. I have an Instinct 970, now the snow and slush just needs to melt so the riding can begin. Interestingly, it came in setting 1 with 30mm of BB drop, so that's where I'll start, and we'll see if I need to switch it to setting 9 to get 25.34mm of BB drop.

30.42 pounds with the saddle swapped to a Selle Italia Flite Ti (about 30gms lighter than stock and a very familiar perch for my butt) and with Eggbeater SL pedals. So it isn't as feathery light as my Element 70 MSL, that's about 8 pounds heavier. We'll see how all this translates to trail feel.

The 725mm wide bars seem to get hung up on everything moving it in and out of the LBS and my house. That extra 25mm of bar width seems to throw off my estimate of how it fits through doors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Instinct FAQs-2012_1220new0008.jpg  

2013 Instinct FAQs-fullscreen-capture-12162012-60951-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^ How did you get one? I thought they don't hit shops till FEB?? I'm interested in this and the Altitude.. Let us know how it rides when you are able to test it out.
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Can't wait to hear your impressions of it. I too am looking at this and the altitude (and the trance). Awesome bike.

ups and downs
    I was surprised to see them in the showroom of the LBS as I had heard February as well.

I do need to put some Conti MKII 2.2 RaceSport tires to get the Black Chili rubber on it before tackling wet roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    When you ride it can you let us know how the pedal bob is without using the CTD remote? Too poor to afford the high dollar models.
    Last edited by richulr; 12-21-2012 at 04:41 PM.

ups and downs
    I figured I'd start my 29er FS experience with an affordable version, in case 26" is more appealing. There'll likely be a carbon Instinct next year.

I'm curious about the whole CTD setup thing as I have a setup on the ProPedal shock on the Element 70 MSL that I like in all conditions, I never tinker with the lever on the shock. It will be interesting if it turns out that I get a tune in the Trail mode and never tinker with it.

ups and downs
    Here's some photos of some of the details.

The Instinct 970 ships with the Reverb seatpost with the internal remote hose routing. The hose enters the downtube at the head tube and then pops out under the BB and re-enters the seat tube just above the FD height. Having heard how many of the Reverbs had warranty issue in the first year that concerns me a bit since the Reverb is a remote hydraulic control so that could be a messy seatpost repair if the remote hose has to come off to get the seatpost out, but it sure makes things tidy. There are cable guides on the top tube for an external seatpost remote as well. The rear shock lockout cable is externally routed.

The swingarm has two cable guide options, one for Shimano and one for SRAM FD's.

It looks like the welds have been finished and smoothed before painting, maybe with a wire wheel or something, very nicely finished.

Lots of nice details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Instinct FAQs-2012_1222new0001.jpg  

2013 Instinct FAQs-2012_1222new0015.jpg  

2013 Instinct FAQs-2012_1222new0002.jpg  

2013 Instinct FAQs-2012_1222new0008.jpg  

2013 Instinct FAQs-2012_1222new0009.jpg  

mtbr member
    rockyuphill, am I right to assume the new Reverb post line now enters from the bottom of the seat post? If so, RM really has cleaned this up but I do share your concerns about servicing the post.

ups and downs
    The Stealth remote hose enters at the very bottom of the post. I was just looking through the Stealth service manual to get an idea of what has to happen to get the post out for service. I haven't tried removing the post to see how much surplus hose is in there, but I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to find out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    man I hope you get some good weather soon

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the instinct. I am interested if it can be used as a genuine all mountain 29er, or if it is just a long legged xc bike, there seems to be a lot of mention of its xc talant in the rocky written material. The geo would suggest that it should be good. My local shop stocks transition and rocky so for me my main choice will be between a covert 29 and the instinct both with a 140mm fork. Can't wait to do some test riding on both. Covert just on looks seems a little more heavy duty but keen to hear your thoughts on the enduro / all mountain powers of the instinct.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The Instinct is on my wishlist as well. Hope you can give me more detailed info about how the bike behaves in long climbs. While traveling a lot I only can bring one bike with me. I love technical trails but once in a while I participate in a bikemarathon as well. So I need a bike which covers technical descents (not the real downhill stuff) and brings me to the top of a mountain as easy as possible.

ups and downs
    All about the Reverb Stealth dropper post installation and hose routing

https://vimeo.com/54461390

ups and downs
    Finally got some saddle time on the Instinct today, it was very wet out there.The very first time getting the bike moving I was thinking "Penny Farthing" looking over the bars at a 29" front wheel, I am always amazed how much bigger that looks. As soon as it's moving that extra wheel size stops being a peculiar feeling.

The standard Conti tires are not confidence inspiring on wet roots, my RaceSport Black Chili versions of the Mountain King 2.2's should be here next week, and then I will feel better about tackling wet trail conditions.

The 70mm stem length makes for a very speedy turn in, that's going to take some getting used to, but I sure can't complain about the handling being sluggish. This bar/stem setup is a 725mm wide bar and 70mm stem, and even though the HTT length is 5mm shorter than my 26" Element, this cockpit feels very comfortable.

With the CTD suspension in the Trail setting the bike feels very plush but not spongy. Even in the D for Descent position, climbing short steep climbs you get a lot of rear suspension movement but it doesn't suck a lot of energy out of going forward, or slacken the bike out too much. I expect that just as with Pro Pedal I will find a Trail suspension setup I like and just leave it that way. It pedals very efficiently in Trail so that must be mostly like Pro Pedal.

Right now it is setup in the default BB drop of 30mm, after I get some time at this setting, I will try it in setting 2 with 20.7mm of BB drop and then at setting 7 for 35mm of BB drop.

2013 Instinct FAQs-2013_0106new0003.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-21-2013 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice picture! Curious about your next bike experience. Have fun!

ups and downs
    I picked up a pair of Conti Mountain King 29 x 2.2 ProTection tires today, the RaceSports weren't readily available. I was concerned about the weight but they came in under the spec weight of 750gms each. the pair of new Black Chili tires were only 1425gms and the OEM Mountain King/X-King combo was 1361gms, so not a huge weight penalty. I took the plastic spoke protector off which saved 23gms so a net weight increase of only 41gms for much better wet grip.

I might end up going for some Race King 29x2.2 RaceSport tires in the summer if it looks like it will be a fairly dry riding season. They should be 285gms lighter for the pair.

Now I just need to ride it (without freezing my brass cleats off).

ups and downs
    More saddle time and it's feeling more familiar. The Mountain King ProTection tires make all the difference on wet and muddy trails. And frankly they roll smoother and quieter on pavement too. The big wheels do tackle roots and rocks with less body English input than a 26" wheel bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Instinct FAQs-2013_0125new0001.jpg  

ups and downs
    One crucial bit of info that I've been able to measure, the actual BB height on the Instinct 970 with the MK 29x2.2 tires is 13" with the Ride9 in the standard 30mm drop setting. That's 1/2" higher than the BB height on my Element 70 MSL with MK 26x2.4" tires. I'm looking forward to that increased BB height to eliminate pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am still confused why they spec'd the 32 instead of a 34 on a longer travel 29r. Is it really a 32 on your instinct?
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

ups and downs
    Yep it is definitely a 32 on the Instinct 970. I expect that the extra weight wasn't considered justified at 130mm of travel where it might be on a 150mm travel fork. With a 15mm thru axle it feels pretty solid. I haven't really punished it yet but so far so good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast