Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Smile 2013 Element 999 RSL

So i fall in love and ordered one !!! Yes ! After 10years Specialized's s-works Epic 26" 03'- 05'-07'- Stumpjumper's ht 29er 09' and 10' !!! It comes with a 100mm Lefty XLR 29er ! Normally the first week of december !!

Misty ,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What do you mean it comes with a lefty fork?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Element 999RSL 29" 2013

Frame has arrived , building it up next week !! Can't wait !!

Misty ,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty69 View Post

Frame has arrived , building it up next week !! Can't wait !!

Misty ,
    Sweet!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sweet frame. You'll love it.
    3hrs today on my 970RSL (on studs !). Great bike.
    The 999 colour combo looks great.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What headset are you going to use?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice frame. What size is it?

As far as i understand you can only have this model as a frame only option or not?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Its a XL , this frame you can buy as a frame only or complete bike !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so the frame only comes with an rp23 w/kashima coat, while the complete bike comes with the monarch xx shock?
    I'm getting mine this week, but it is a complete bike.
    pretty stoked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Misty, did you remove the remote lever and cable? If you did can you still turn the CTD dial? I'm still waiting for my frame and been wanting to know if that was possible with the CTD remotes. I would probably just run it on trail all the time like I do my, plus I hate remotes.
    RIDE MF RIDE,
    Scotto

ups and downs
    The valve on the remote CTD rear shock is spring loaded, if you try to run it without the remote bar lever it stays in the Climb position. You'd have to take the CTD valve apart to find that rather stiff return spring, or switch it to the lever type valve without the remote capability.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rockyuphill,
    Have you taken it? I was thinking there would be a return spring in both the shock and lever. There has got to be a way to get that spring out and just use it with the knob. Maybe I'll give FOX a call.
    RIDE MF RIDE,
    Scotto

ups and downs
    I tried removing the cable on my Fox CTD shock on the Instinct 970 and found the shock valve was spring loaded to the C position. And it is a heavy return spring. There's no spring in the lever. I didn't want to get into taking the shock valve lever apart in case I blew something up and broke it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm just curious why you guys are wanting to remove the remote lever? Is it the lever operation itself of functionability? From what few rides I've had so far I'm a huge fan of the function just not the lever size and looks. I'm coming from dual remote lockout levers and find myself using the CTD positions frequently.

ups and downs
    I expect it's the huge size for most people especially for a lever that only adjusts the rear shock and not the CTD fork at the same time, like the one on the Instinct 970

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just don't like remotes. They clutter up the bars and I always forget to turn it on or off, I like to set it and forget.
    RIDE MF RIDE,
    Scotto

mtbr member

She's here......

Isn't that a cute one??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Element 999 RSL-rsl1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Frame: Rocky Mountain Element 999RSL XL
    Fork: Cannondale Lefty XRL 100mm
    Headset: ?
    Stem: Ritchey 100mm - voorlopig
    Handlebar: Schmolke
    Grips: Specialized
    Brake: Magura MT8
    Shifters: SRAM XO Twister 2x9
    Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR
    Front derailleur: SRAM XO
    Crank: B.O.R xc 666 36-22
    Bottombracket: B.O.R
    Pedals: Time Atac Titanium
    Wheels: Notubes Crest met DT Swiss 240s sapim cx ray messing nippels
    Remschijven: Storm sl160mm
    Cassette: SRAM 990 11-34
    Ketting: KMC X9L
    Banden: Schwalbe racing ralph
    Zadelpen: Thomson masterpiece
    Zadel: Fizik Aliante carbon
    Bottlecage: Specialized s-works

Weight : 10.08kg 22.22Lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Last edited by Misty69; 01-31-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: wrong

mtbr member
    Nice work! Looks like you may have the wrong tires listed...

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2013 Element 999 RSL

I want to know about those b.o.r. Cranks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Frame: Rocky Mountain Element 999RSL XL
    Fork: Cannondale Lefty XRL 100mm
    Headset: ?
    Stem: Ritchey 100mm - voorlopig
    [b...
    Great build.

Are you running a normal-size Lefty, or a Lefty with the XL clamps? Stock headset? Which Lefty adaptor (P321 or Cannondale) ??

I'm planning to run a lefty on my XL size RSL. The headtube+headset stack height measures 1mm too large for a normal-size lefty, but I'm hoping I can squeeze it in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Did you happen to weigh the frame with shock before you built it? Curious what an XL frameset weighs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I did not weight the frame. It came buil up with xx and I removed all of the xx parts, but the stem, fork, seatpost, saddle, seat collar, etc all stayed in the swap. It is now built up with full xtr and comes in at 22.7 with ti spindle egg beater 3s, no tubes, and a carbon ec 70 flat wide bar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks, I am looking to get one, but my budget will probably allow for the carbon front triangle and aluminum rear. I was hoping to get weights on both to see what the biggest difference is.

By the way, that is a great weight, got a build list by chance?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the build list is simple. the bike is exactly as it is stock, but change any sram part for xtr and there you have it. also the bar is an ec70 flat wide.
    the fr rotor is 180mm and the rr is 160mm. the rr der is the shadow plus with the clutch mechanism

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    RockyUphill, where can I order a Medium frameset?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

ups and downs
    You'd have to go through your local dealer or an authorized online retailer. But I have a hunch that the frame only option might already be spoken for. Frame only production happens after all the built bikes are taken care of and are likely almost all sold by the time they are ready to ship. JensonUSA has no frames available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    All the frames are gone for 2013 I tried!! I just ordered a new Ibis Ripley 29er frame, 5.2 lbs but will be more rigid than the Element.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Zachariah, I sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    I ordered mine back in November and I just received my frame set last week, I expect the build to finished by tomorrow night. This my not be much help but I spent a week on a Ripley and I can't say I was impressed. If the Ripley was any stiffer than the Element I couldn't tell and the Ripley definitely didn't climb as well as the Element. I will say the that the Ripley descended at lest as well as the Element. The only bike I've spent time on that impressed me as much as the Element is the Intense Spider Carbon Comp. I spent 3 days on that bike and if I hadn't already committed to the Element it would be a coin toss as to which one would end up in my quiver.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Element was my 1st pick, hardly no bike shops that sell them. So no local support, very hard to talk to them on the phone. If something breaks good luck getting parts, there goes the season!!!

It's really hard to buy a bike when I can't test it first, every bike fits different for different people. I have short legs but long torso, I'm 5'9. My gut told me the Element would be the perfect bike to ride everyday and race. I hope the Ripley fills that space in my gut!!

The Spider looks like a great bike, I don't like the low arm at the bb. Just like the Tallboy it will get smashed.

I will run a 140mm fork 34mm 51mm offset on the Ripley to slack it out abit, I have a set of i9 Torch wheels on the way for it. If I don't like it I can always sell it!!!

I hope you love the Element, Rocky Mountain owners are passionate people and love to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2013 Element 999 RSL-rocky-frame.jpg

Not the 999 but same frame. I got the complete and stripped it down. This is the weight with hanger, rear shock/hardware, and bottle bolts. Nothing else. Size Large. 4.46 lbs.

I have a nice project going that I will post pics of soon.

mtbr member
    I totally understand what you're saying, if I hadn't had the opportunity to demo a Element I would have made a different choice (the Intense) instead of ordering from a shop 45 miles away. If my local RM dealer actually stocked RM products it also would have helped but as it was I decided to reward the guys who invested in the inventory and actually stocked RM bike. On a side note I know two Ripley owners who are both stoked with their bike so just because the bike didn't suit my janky riding style doesn't mean it won't be a great bike, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If it does not work out I'll get the BC Element that has the green going through it. I'll buy the bike complete and part it out!!! The weight was the other thing that caught my eye on the Element, that full carbon frame is really light. The Ripley in Med at 5.2lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: 2013 Element 999 RSL

Like another guy. Ordered it in November got it yesterday! Lrg 2020grams. With bottle bolts and seatpost colllar

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Element 999 RSL-uploadfromtaptalk1368394871990.jpg  

http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

ups and downs
    That's 130gms lighter than the 26" Element Team RSL frame in large

Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    Like another guy. Ordered it in November got it yesterday! Lrg 2020grams. With bottle bolts and seatpost colllar

mtbr member
    May 2006

999Rsl LRG, came with CTD remote...stupid remote adds ~122grams with cable and housing.

May order a ctd factory shock. I don't need a remote....or see if fox can change the shock to a regular dial...

mtbr member
    999Rsl LRG, came with CTD remote...stupid remote
    Mine too, it's the first thing (the remote) headed to ebay. The bike I demoed (the bike that sold me on the Element) came with a RS RT3 that worked awesome in the middle position, so much so that after a while I just left in the middle position and forgot it. Ill give the Fox a try without the remote, after I convert it to the regular dial and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Can the ctd remote be converted to normal dial? Well, i'll have an answer tomorrow, calling fox from the shop.

Really wish Rocky hadn't used the goofy 6x1.25 shock sizing.....can't find any supplier that stocks the Monarch RT3 in that size

mtbr member
    Yes is the answer on the Fox, also, theres a bunch of 6x1.5 medium medium RT3s on ebay right now.

Can the ctd remote be converted to normal dial? Well, i'll have an answer tomorrow, calling fox from the shop.

Really wish Rocky hadn't used the goofy 6x1.25 shock sizing.....can't find any supplier that stocks the Monarch RT3 in that size

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin View Post
    Yes is the answer on the Fox, also, theres a bunch of 6x1.5 medium medium RT3s on ebay right now.
    The ebay RT3's are 6.5" x 1.5", you'd need 6" x 1.25" for Element 29".

mtbr member
    Interesting, the Rocky dealer I'm purchasing the frame set from gave me a spec of 6.5 x 1.5 x 22.2

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The ebay RT3's are 6.5" x 1.5", you'd need 6" x 1.25" for Element 29".

ups and downs
    Interesting, the Rocky dealer I'm purchasing the frame set from gave me a spec of 6.5 x 1.5 x 22.2
    The shock sizes are listed in the Critical dimensions table from the 2013 RMB Tech Manual as posted here. 2013 Critical dimensions

It may be that he thought it was a misprint or an error as that size has only been used on the older 3" travel Element Team or Tsc frames.

mtbr member
    May 2006

I took a ruler to mine. 6"X1.25..

ups and downs
    There's just no excuse for beating on your shock with a ruler.

I took a ruler to mine. 6"X1.25..

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for that, otherwise I would've been standing here with the wrong shock and my thumb up my a$$!

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The shock sizes are listed in the Critical dimensions table from the 2013 RMB Tech Manual as posted here. 2013 Critical dimensions

It may be that he thought it was a misprint or an error as that size has only been used on the older 3" travel Element Team or Tsc frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well I just got lucky!!! I just scored a med. 999 new with extra's off ebay. I was also able to change the i9 green spokes to red to match frame. Since the Ripley in med still not available I cancelled the order. Now what fork to get? I can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Nice score! I'm going with a SID XX WC extended to 110mm.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Well I just got lucky!!! I just scored a med. 999 new with extra's off ebay. I was also able to change the i9 green spokes to red to match frame. Since the Ripley in med still not available I cancelled the order. Now what fork to get? I can't wait!!!
    Wow...you outbid me!!!!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Really!! It was great deal I should have it friday!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, I made a call to Rockshox today to ask about a rear shock for my bike as I like the ride feel better on the monarch. They told me that it is not a size they sell after market and that it is strictly an OEM size. After checking with QBP it seems the smallest size they stock is the 6.5x1.5. Anyone got any leads on a Monarch RT3 in the 6x1.25 flavor?

ups and downs
    You could try buying one through Rocky as a replacement part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The SID XX World Cup can be set at 110mm? I think 110mm would be perfect. I have both of my lefty forks set at 110mm and I love it. I thought about putting a lefty on the 999 but I think I'll try a convential fork on this bike!!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Just built it today. 21.5Lbs
    Lrg 2013 999 RSL
    Sid XX worldcup 29.
    Ritchey Superlogic 400mm seatpost
    Ritchey Superlogic riser bar 660mm
    Bontrager XXX 100mm stem. Changing out to 110mm Ritchey C230 soon
    ESI racersedge grips
    Ritchey PRO headset
    X0 Gripshift!!!!!
    Formula R1 brakes
    Origin 8/ashima rotors 180/160
    Raceface Next SL 26/38
    PG-1070 chain
    CrankBros candy 11
    XX front/rear derailleur
    WTB Silverado (not sure which model, the lightest?)
    XX cassette
    American Classic hubs
    Dt-swiss revolution Spokes
    Lightbicycle Carbon rims. 420Gram version

Things that are changing...I hate remotes....I have a RCT3 damper is the male for my SID. Also, trying to decide which rear shock to get for the rear so I can ditch the huge CTD remote.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Element 999 RSL-uploadfromtaptalk1368679473931.jpg  

2013 Element 999 RSL-uploadfromtaptalk1368679494877.jpg  

Last edited by DukeNeverwinter; 05-16-2013 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Yup, SID 100s come with a 20mm spacer to limit the travel to 100mm, so just take 10mm out of the spacer, reassemble and presto a 110mm SID.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Very nice! Do you have the 27mm or 30mm external width LightBicycle rims? How is the clearance with them?

mtbr member
    May 2006

First gen narrow, plenty of room. I have a Bontrager 29-1 2.0 as a rear tire......

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm running 2.25 Ralph's on the wide LB rims, and have plenty o' room. 970RSL, ie. with carbon stays.

I suspect 2.35 Nics on LBs would fit, but barely. Haven't tried yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
    I'm running 2.25 Ralph's on the wide LB rims, and have plenty o' room. 970RSL, ie. with carbon stays.

I suspect 2.35 Nics on LBs would fit, but barely. Haven't tried yet.
    Thanks - been trying to figure out if the wide ones will work on my 2012 alloy back end.

G.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are you running the new grip shifts? How do they compare to the old 9 speeds? I've a feeling I'll have to swap my X9 triggers out for some twisties as I've been using them for so long that anything else feels alien....
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    May 2006

They are 10spd X0 twisties! Same solid click, much much smoother action.

mtbr member
    It's done!
    999 XL frame set W/Fox CTD remote rear shock
    SID XX WC 15mm thru set to 110mm
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Syntace Mega force 70mm 9% stem
    Enve flat bar
    Ergon grips
    Enve set back seat post
    Specialized Romin Expert saddle
    Formula R1 brakes
    XX Trigger shifters
    XX dérailleurs F & R
    XO Crankset
    XT Pedals
    KCMC chain
    Specialized Roval Control SL wheels set up tubeless
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron F
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph R

The shop tells me its 22.3 lbs with pedals and cages

2013 Element 999 RSL-dsc00378.jpg
    Last edited by reydin; 05-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's a nice looking bike !! Nice build spec. Let me know how that fork feels, I'm 200 lbs do you feel flex ? Go ride that son-a-gun. I'm doing xx1 crank but 10 speed xx.

mtbr member
    May 2006

If I weren't a 220lb monster, I would get some NoTubes race golds....mine would be sub 21 with them...

mtbr member
    That's a nice looking bike !! Nice build spec. Let me know how that fork feels, I'm 200 lbs do you feel flex ? Go ride that son-a-gun. I'm doing xx1 crank but 10 speed xx.
    Thanks! Up until 3 months ago I was 195 and I was running that same fork on my Hard Eddie HT and it was plenty stiff at that body weight. The WC SID actually turned out to feel stiffer than the Fox fork it replaced but I'll let you know how it works out on this build.

mtbr member
    May 2006

I have had both the sid xx carbon crown and a sid rct3 Alu on bikes. The Alu crown was stiffer than my 2011 fox. The Carbon crown is not as stiff as the Alu sid. Close but it is noticeable by my fat ass when railing corners.

mtbr member
    I have had both the sid xx carbon crown and a sid rct3 Alu on bikes. The Alu crown was stiffer than my 2011 fox. The Carbon crown is not as stiff as the Alu sid. Close but it is noticeable by my fat ass when railing corners.

Interesting I ran the XX alu crown on Scott HT when I was about 195 my aSSometer tells me just the opposite but me more around 175 these days has something to do with that. Either way I'll find out in the next few days!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I really like the the lockout on the Rockshox, its the same I have on my lefty fork. Very nice feel to it. So I want that lockout with the fork, I also like the black color fork not white. This will be my 1st 2 sided fork, the lefty is a great XC fork.

Man the SID XX WC is pricey!!!

mtbr member
    Ok just got back from my shakedown run and I am not disappointed, this thing is everything I remembered from my demo ride on a 970 just lighter a bit snappier, in short so far everything I wanted it to be. I was afraid of that the Fox shock would change the ride characteristics in a negative way but I am happy to say that once set up correctly, the tune that RM specified for this application is spot on! Now I just have to get rid (a work in progress) of that ridiculous Fox remote. That being said I was running a Fox product on the front I would probably keep the Fox remote but since I'm running a SID up front thats one too many remotes so the Fox remote is being shown the door.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yup, SID 100s come with a 20mm spacer to limit the travel to 100mm, so just take 10mm out of the spacer, reassemble and presto a 110mm SID.
    Does this apply to all SIDs? I've read conflicting information all over the place but wouldn't mind extending my 100mm dual air RLs. I guess I'll have to open them up to check but then there's the hassle of sourcing oil etc......

ups and downs
    You generally can't extend travel beyond what it was shipped as, but you can shorten travel. So a 120mm fork can be converted to 110 or 100mm but a 100mm fork can't be extended beyond that.
    Quote Originally Posted by marmoset View Post
    Does this apply to all SIDs? I've read conflicting information all over the place but wouldn't mind extending my 100mm dual air RLs. I guess I'll have to open them up to check but then there's the hassle of sourcing oil etc......

mtbr member
    I'll have to look into that

ups and downs
    The lower cost and heavier forks often have a long enough damper assembly to accommodate a longer travel than they shipped with, and long enough stanchions, but on the higher end SID's they will typically shave weight on 100mm forks by taking that extra 20mm of length off the internals from a 120mm fork. The 80/100mm are usually the same with the 20mm spacer installed when used as an 80mm fork. Fox does the same thing with F series forks, you can reduce travel but not extend them, where they don't do that on the Floats.
    I'll have to look into that

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just asked my local bike shop, the tech there said 100mm SID WW can not go to 110. The guy is Sram/RockShox guru.

mtbr member
    I just asked my local bike shop, the tech there said 100mm SID WW can not go to 110. The guy is Sram/RockShox guru.
    It looks like you guys are right, oh well I can live with 100mm. 110 would be better though

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My medium 999 arrived today, weight 2003 grams/4.41lbs. I may build it up with lefty carbon fork set at 110mm. Anyone care to comment of lefty on this frame? This frame looks nice and well made.

mtbr member
    My medium 999 arrived today, weight 2003 grams/4.41lbs. I may build it up with lefty carbon fork set at 110mm. Anyone care to comment of lefty on this frame? This frame looks nice and well made.
    I think Misty69 (the guy that started this thread) built one up with a lefty.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wow, my lrg was only 17grams heavier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea, I was a bit surprised too. If I do go with the carbon lefty fork this will save some weight. Anyone have advice on installing Cane Creek headset, seems like bearings have alot of play inside the the headtube.

mtbr member
    May 2006

The 999 doesn't use a normal pressfit headset. It uses drop in bearings. Double check that the O.D. on the top bearing is 42mm and the O.D. on the Bottom bearing is 52mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OK,I see the carbon is the race. I have the right size, Cane Creek 110, IS42 Short Top and IS52 Bottom. So bearings just lay on the carbon inside the frame, should I just a good grease to pack it out? Thanks, this is my 1st carbon build bike!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    don't use too much grease. just a light coating

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trying to get an idea how the lefty will look and fit, color wise its perfect. May need a different headset with more stack, I'll see what Jake say's at Project 321. I could get it work but there will be over 1/2 of spacers on the top to fill the gap.
    I also asked my local shop about not using the remote on the rear shock, he said they can not add manual control to shock. Would need to replace the shock with the manual one. The lever is huge on the bar and I hate it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Element 999 RSL-p1050976.jpg  

2013 Element 999 RSL-p1050987.jpg  

mtbr member
    The process if possible at all would be involve changing the top cap assembly and I'm being told that this may or may not work. I agree with you about the size and look of the remote and I would add that having two remotes from two manufacturers and a rear shock dimension that is not available aftermarket is ridiculous! That being said, Ive gotta say as much as I hate the way it looks, I love the way it works. I'm not a Fox fan but that shock with that remote works great on that bike. I still don't like looking down and seeing that rats nest of brake lines, remote cables, remote lines and shifter cables but once I'm on the bike all that disappears so give it a week or two to get used to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You don't happen to know the part numbers or who to talk to in order to get the conversion kit? I called Fox yesterday and they said there was no way without changing the upper eyelet assembly. They did however inform me that there will be a retrofit kit to run the new smaller 2014 lever, but the parts are not available yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So if I go with a Fox 120 fit ctd front fork I would be able to control both front and rear with just one huge lever. Plus I'm running 1x10 so no shifter on left side, but the fox fork is heavier than Lefty or SID. Decisions-decisions !!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim83 View Post
    You don't happen to know the part numbers or who to talk to in order to get the conversion kit? I called Fox yesterday and they said there was no way without changing the upper eyelet assembly. They did however inform me that there will be a retrofit kit to run the new smaller 2014 lever, but the parts are not available yet.
    I love it, in the Fox marketing suite "we'll launch it with this massive lever arrangement that we came up with in our lunch break, then next year we can flog everyone an upgrade kit with the proper design that we haven't yet finished"

mtbr member
    Yup that'd be on the to of my list but I'd get it reduced down to 110 and I'm pretty sure that the 1x10 would easily offset the extra weight of the Fox. As you say, decisions, decisions...

mtbr member
    2013 Element 999 RSL-dsc00381.jpg
    So as you can see in spite of what I've been told about my SID 100, these speakers do go up to 11

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Might be worth seeing if the new Fox 2014 remote works with the shock. It looks a lot better than the existing levers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Element 999 RSL-fox-2014-remote.png  

mtbr member
    I run my DOSS remote under the bar, inboard of shifters and brakes. Same can be done with CTD. At least it gets it off the top of the bar.

Trying to get an idea how the lefty will look and fit, color wise its perfect. May need a different headset with more stack, I'll see what Jake say's at Project 321. I could get it work but there will be over 1/2 of spacers on the top to fill the gap.
    I also asked my local shop about not using the remote on the rear shock, he said they can not add manual control to shock. Would need to replace the shock with the manual one. The lever is huge on the bar and I hate it!!
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm running the dual remote on the bottom of the bar, left side, with a 1x11 drivetrain on my 970RSL. I wasn't a fan of look or ergonomics of the remote when it was on the top of the bar, but I LOVE it now. I was planning to put a Lefty on the bike (have one in the basement and I love leftys), but the remote set-up works so well that I'm having second thoughts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What fork are you running? How do you like it compared to the lefty? I'm really torn between the two !

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does anyone know if the XX1 crank with the 156 Q Factor will fit this frame? Or is the 168 required?

mtbr member
    May 2006

156 will fit. My next sl 2x10 is 156.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rocky just told me 168q is recom. because 142x12 is wider than 135mm rear. Feet will rub on chain stays.

ups and downs
    My Race Face Next SL 2x10 cranks are 146mm from inside of crank arm to inside of crank arm at the pedal. The 156mm XX cranksets are only 129mm inside to inside of the crankarms
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    May 2006

Woops. Just looked it up. My next sl 2x10 is 165. sorry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4