Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Element 999 RSL

57K views 249 replies 36 participants last post by  edibetta 
#1 ·
So i fall in love and ordered one !!! Yes ! After 10years Specialized's s-works Epic 26" 03'- 05'-07'- Stumpjumper's ht 29er 09' and 10' !!! It comes with a 100mm Lefty XLR 29er ! Normally the first week of december !!

Misty ,

#32 ·
I ordered mine back in November and I just received my frame set last week, I expect the build to finished by tomorrow night. This my not be much help but I spent a week on a Ripley and I can't say I was impressed. If the Ripley was any stiffer than the Element I couldn't tell and the Ripley definitely didn't climb as well as the Element. I will say the that the Ripley descended at lest as well as the Element. The only bike I've spent time on that impressed me as much as the Element is the Intense Spider Carbon Comp. I spent 3 days on that bike and if I hadn't already committed to the Element it would be a coin toss as to which one would end up in my quiver.

#33 ·
The Element was my 1st pick, hardly no bike shops that sell them. So no local support, very hard to talk to them on the phone. If something breaks good luck getting parts, there goes the season!!!

It's really hard to buy a bike when I can't test it first, every bike fits different for different people. I have short legs but long torso, I'm 5'9. My gut told me the Element would be the perfect bike to ride everyday and race. I hope the Ripley fills that space in my gut!!

The Spider looks like a great bike, I don't like the low arm at the bb. Just like the Tallboy it will get smashed.

I will run a 140mm fork 34mm 51mm offset on the Ripley to slack it out abit, I have a set of i9 Torch wheels on the way for it. If I don't like it I can always sell it!!!

I hope you love the Element, Rocky Mountain owners are passionate people and love to ride.

#35 ·
I totally understand what you're saying, if I hadn't had the opportunity to demo a Element I would have made a different choice (the Intense) instead of ordering from a shop 45 miles away. If my local RM dealer actually stocked RM products it also would have helped but as it was I decided to reward the guys who invested in the inventory and actually stocked RM bike. On a side note I know two Ripley owners who are both stoked with their bike so just because the bike didn't suit my janky riding style doesn't mean it won't be a great bike, enjoy!

#36 ·
If it does not work out I'll get the BC Element that has the green going through it. I'll buy the bike complete and part it out!!! The weight was the other thing that caught my eye on the Element, that full carbon frame is really light. The Ripley in Med at 5.2lbs.

#40 ·
999Rsl LRG, came with CTD remote...stupid remote
Mine too, it's the first thing (the remote) headed to ebay. The bike I demoed (the bike that sold me on the Element) came with a RS RT3 that worked awesome in the middle position, so much so that after a while I just left in the middle position and forgot it. Ill give the Fox a try without the remote, after I convert it to the regular dial and see how it goes.

#42 ·
Yes is the answer on the Fox, also, theres a bunch of 6x1.5 medium medium RT3s on ebay right now.

Can the ctd remote be converted to normal dial? Well, i'll have an answer tomorrow, calling fox from the shop.

Really wish Rocky hadn't used the goofy 6x1.25 shock sizing.....can't find any supplier that stocks the Monarch RT3 in that size

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

#53 ·
Well, I made a call to Rockshox today to ask about a rear shock for my bike as I like the ride feel better on the monarch. They told me that it is not a size they sell after market and that it is strictly an OEM size. After checking with QBP it seems the smallest size they stock is the 6.5x1.5. Anyone got any leads on a Monarch RT3 in the 6x1.25 flavor?

#56 · (Edited)
Just built it today. 21.5Lbs
Lrg 2013 999 RSL
Sid XX worldcup 29.
Ritchey Superlogic 400mm seatpost
Ritchey Superlogic riser bar 660mm
Bontrager XXX 100mm stem. Changing out to 110mm Ritchey C230 soon
ESI racersedge grips
Ritchey PRO headset
X0 Gripshift!!!!!
Formula R1 brakes
Origin 8/ashima rotors 180/160
Raceface Next SL 26/38
PG-1070 chain
CrankBros candy 11
XX front/rear derailleur
WTB Silverado (not sure which model, the lightest?)
XX cassette
American Classic hubs
Dt-swiss revolution Spokes
Lightbicycle Carbon rims. 420Gram version

Things that are changing...I hate remotes....I have a RCT3 damper is the male for my SID. Also, trying to decide which rear shock to get for the rear so I can ditch the huge CTD remote.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

#72 ·
Does this apply to all SIDs? I've read conflicting information all over the place but wouldn't mind extending my 100mm dual air RLs. I guess I'll have to open them up to check but then there's the hassle of sourcing oil etc......

#62 ·
Are you running the new grip shifts? How do they compare to the old 9 speeds? I've a feeling I'll have to swap my X9 triggers out for some twisties as I've been using them for so long that anything else feels alien....

#64 · (Edited)
It's done!
999 XL frame set W/Fox CTD remote rear shock
SID XX WC 15mm thru set to 110mm
Cane Creek 110 headset
Syntace Mega force 70mm 9% stem
Enve flat bar
Ergon grips
Enve set back seat post
Specialized Romin Expert saddle
Formula R1 brakes
XX Trigger shifters
XX dérailleurs F & R
XO Crankset
XT Pedals
KCMC chain
Specialized Roval Control SL wheels set up tubeless
Schwalbe Rocket Ron F
Schwalbe Racing Ralph R

The shop tells me its 22.3 lbs with pedals and cages

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.