4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

2013 Altitude Upgrades

Week or two ago put down a deposit to order a 770msl. Super excited to try a new ride especially this one- should arrive in April. Been riding 29ers for several years in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. My buddy has ridden Rocky Mountain for years but I really started to notice improvements in the bikes in past few years (you guys need to work on offering some basic bike colors in addition to your two-tone stuff though- like black or raw!) and my favorite LBS (Redstone Cyclery) started carrying them last year. I debated between an Intense Carbine (test rode w/ 650b), Intense Spider Comp 29, Transition Covert (w/ 650b) and the Altitude.
    The new Altitude won on paper... looks great geometry wise, has multitude of features including Ride 9 (reminds me of an Enduro I had with the flip flop link...cool idea but was useless other than buff singlestrack because it made the bottom bracket height too low at 12.8"). Altitude doesn't have this problem with BBH, and I'm generally a fan of higher BBH bikes.
    Now to the point of this thread. What upgrades do you plan on making to your Altitude? So far here's my thoughts:
    1) Brakes- Replace Avids with some Formula RO s I recently purchased. LBS had a smoking deal on these spendy brakes recently. Their awesome remind me of the biancos, and the modulation feel got so much better with these.
    2) Wheels are a possibility. Taking a wait and see approach. The infernos seem solid but little weary of 24/28 spoke wheels- never owned straight pull hubs, supposedly stronger w/ less spokes. And who makes the straight pull hubs for RM?
    Anyways would like to see what other people are thinking and any info on wheels would be cool.
    Last edited by dirtydoug; 02-04-2013 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Would guess the RM straight pull hubs are built by DT.

I went for the Syncros TR1.0 wheels, which are also built by DT (for Scott), then rebranded as Syncros.

Front Wheel SYNCROS TR1.0 Carbon 27.5" - Syncros

Rear Wheel SYNCROS TR1.0 Carbon 27.5" - Syncros

I also think the ARCH EX Rim / DT240s Hub / DT Supercomp Spoke package available prebuilt from Stan's is another great option for the Altitude.

ZTR Arch EX 650b- 32 Hole Black - NEW

ups and downs
    Typically the RM Wheeltech hubs have been made by Formula. They mention that these hubs use sealed Japanese bearings, so definitely not DT's, the Swiss would never brag about Japanese craftsmanship.

A nice set of Enve 27.5" rims and DT 240S hubs would be the way to go for a bombproof set of Altitude wheels.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

2013 Altitude Upgrades

Hey thanks for the info. Intrigued by carbon rims but prefer running tubeless at low pressures and common sense says this may not be good approach. My rear 29er velocity p35 on my SS has some good dents on it after 1 season. I don't think I'll test carbon rims @ enve and syncros prices.
    There are those light bicycle carbon rims (see the 650b thread) with talk of Vanderham going to test them out? Sounds like a planted story by the Chinese government to support their carbon rim industry.
    So LB carbons with 240s/ CKing or Arch EX or Flow EX w/ 240s / CKing is what I am thinking as another upgrade.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

2013 Altitude Upgrades

Skyak - your 790 build is going to be sweet btw.