Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered

So I put the order in at my LBS for an Altitude frame!!

Now I've got a few big decisions to make...especially for the fork.

I'm not sure which fork I should get, but whichever one it is, I think I need to keep in mind how different axle to crown lengths will affect the head angle.

I did see on the Rocky Website that the Altitude is specced with either the Fox 34 or the Rockshox Revelation, and both forks produce the same head angle range (66.6-68.3).

The website also shows the Fox 34 set to 150mm? How do they change this from the stock160mm? Does this modification change the axle to crown length?

Any thoughts on going with the Revelation Dual Air to save 1/2 pound vs. the Fox 34? Other fork ideas?

2013 RockShox Revelation RCT3 Dual Postion 650B 15QR Tapered Air Fork - Pro Bike Supply

For drivetrain I'm thinking Sram 1x11 with 28 tooth front ring.

ups and downs
    The Fox fork can be travel reduced from 160mm with a 10mm spacer, and that does reduce A2C by 10mm. But the 34mm stanchions on the fork will be much stiffer than the 32mm on the RS Revelation, that would be worth the extra 200gms.

Here's the Fox A2C spec http://service.foxracingshox.com/con..._SPEC_RevC.pdf
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How much was the frame if you don't mind me asking? Can you tell me what color the frame only comes in?

mtbr member
    the frame msrp is $2799. I never asked about the colour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The Fox fork can be travel reduced from 160mm with a 10mm spacer, and that does reduce A2C by 10mm. But the 34mm stanchions on the fork will be much stiffer than the 32mm on the RS Revelation, that would be worth the extra 200gms.

Here's the Fox A2C spec http://service.foxracingshox.com/con..._SPEC_RevC.pdf
    Thanks Rocky...looks like the 150mm setting is 544.4mm.

Now...if you had the option between a "32 FLOAT 150 FIT CTD w/Trail Adjust" (if they made it in 27.5) and the "34 FLOAT 27.5 160 FIT CTD w/Trail Adjust" shimmed to 150mm, which would you (for your own riding) take on the new Altitude? Extra stiffness or 1/2" lb less up front?
    Last edited by skyak; 10-11-2012 at 07:37 PM.

ups and downs
    Since I'm close to 200 pounds, I'd go for the 34mm Fox fork. If I were 50 pounds lighter, the 32mm Revelation would likely be stiff enough.

The guys at my LBS told me how much that SRAM 11 speed setup costs: $425 for the cassette, $285 for the cranks with 32T ring, about $100-130 for new chainrings or different tooth counts, $305 for the rear derailleur, and $175 for the rear shifter. So almost $1200 plus the DT Swiss rear hub upgrade at $100.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 10-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.

orthonormal
    Nice. I have the 790 complete bike on order. The only parts I'm a bit unsure of are the brakes and saddle. I haven't had the best experience with Avid/SRAM hydraulic brakes and I've been using WTB Rocket V saddles for a long time.

I'll probably pick up another set of Answer Roves for the bike. I've been really happy with them on my SS.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Curious when is your frame only expected?
    I checked on the frame only availability of the new Element RSL 29" and it was February.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdcd View Post
    Curious when is your frame only expected?
    I checked on the frame only availability of the new Element RSL 29" and it was February.
    They said February is the current expected, but in reality it would probably be closer to April.

mtbr member
    Since I'm close to 200 pounds, I'd go for the 34mm Fox fork. If I were 50 pounds lighter, the 32mm Revelation would likely be stiff enough.

The guys at my LBS told me how much that SRAM 11 speed setup costs: $425 for the cassette, $285 for the cranks with 32T ring, about $100-130 for new chainrings or different tooth counts, $305 for the rear derailleur, and $175 for the rear shifter. So almost $1200 plus the DT Swiss rear hub upgrade at $100.
    I'm really stoked on the 1x11, I hope that I can get it before the frame arrives.

Only thing that gives me a little concern is the gearing ratios (I love my granny!!).

My current granny setup is 34/22 = 1.55 on 26" Rear.
    Going to 42/28 = 1.5 is going to be a little higher gearing...but then you add on the 650B vs 26" and you lose about another 5% leverage??
    So am I right in thinking that the total impact with 1x11 650B vs. my current setup is about ~8% higher geared granny? ...having my doubts now if this is true!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Nice. I have the 790 complete bike on order. The only parts I'm a bit unsure of are the brakes and saddle. I haven't had the best experience with Avid/SRAM hydraulic brakes and I've been using WTB Rocket V saddles for a long time.

I'll probably pick up another set of Answer Roves for the bike. I've been really happy with them on my SS.
    I agree most of the bike looks pretty good, my question areas would be:

Not sure about the 34 vs. 32 fork...although Rocky says he would go for the 34 so I'm reconsidering.
    I would prefer 1x11 vs. 2x10 if equipped with same granny ratio (42/28 vs. 36/24).
    I would go for XTR Trail (or XT) brakes vs. the Avids.
    I wouldn't want RaceFace or fi'zi:k on my bike (but only stem, handlebar and seat on this one though, so easy to change out).
    Don't want the Rockshox Reverb Dropper Post.

Otherwise looks really good!

mtbr member
    Does anyone know about Q Factors? The XX1 Crankset comes in a 168 Q Factor or 156 Q Factor. I gather the 156 is narrower. What should I order for the Altitude?

ups and downs
    It will be based on what can fit the BB-92 bottom bracket and clear the chainstays. Here's the crank frame fit specs for all the Q factors. It's likely going to be really tight for a 156mm Q factor with the 142mm rear axle and wider chainstays needed to do that, the 168mm would be a safer bet.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Xd...ifications.pdf.

mtbr member
    It will be based on what can fit the BB-92 bottom bracket and clear the chainstays. Here's the crank frame fit specs for all the Q factors. It's likely going to be really tight for a 156mm Q factor with the 142mm rear axle and wider chainstays needed to do that, the 168mm would be a safer bet.

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Xd...ifications.pdf.
    Thanks Rocky...really appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Got an update from LBS today, frame is expected in January!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    Got an update from LBS today, frame is expected in January!!!!
    Interesting An email from Rocky just yesterday (a guy Jeff) said March/April for the frames. Complete bikes will be sooner. Also he said most frames go to Europe and not N/A so if you want one it's best to pre-order before they sell out. Could be a bit of marketing hype there?

Appears the color for frame only will be the 790 carbon/yellow/greenish combo.

He also mentioned the weight of the 770 and 790 complete bikes

Here are some complete bike weights:

790 MSL 12.25kg/27.25lbs

770MSL 13kg/28.75lbs

Skyak,

Have you considered the White Bros. Loop fork @ 150mm? Very stiff for a 32mm fork and the thing works fantastic on my Jamis Dakar. Gets full travel with out crazy brake dive, designed for 650B wheels with a proper offset (41mm) and proper A/C height of 544 @ 150 setting.

I'm strongly considering the new Altitude frame set and would move my Loop and all the XO stuff over from the Jamis and sell the off frame. Jamis is very very nice but the Rocky will be even better I think. More travel, slacker with all the adjustments available, lighter and better rear suspension design. Should climb amazing I hope set up with steep angles.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

ups and downs
    They always ship complete bikes first and bare frames later, and the frames are always in short supply in the first year of production, that's the way it was with the carbon 26" Elements. So you do want to order early if you want a frame only. Y

mtbr member
    skidad, are you sure the loop is 544 @ 150. I read somewhere that it was 534? I have been looking at the magura ts8 150, but the axle to crown is only 530 so i'm wavering...

So far I have purchased XX1 compatible wheels (Syncros TR1.0 Carbon 27.5), tires (Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25) and brakes (XTR Trail) for the bike.

I'm getting ready to buy the XX1 gripshift package when it is available...so the fork is the last key piece!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    skidad, are you sure the loop is 544 @ 150. I read somewhere that it was 534? I have been looking at the magura ts8 150, but the axle to crown is only 530 so i'm wavering...
    Yes, you are correct the Loop is 534 @ 150. Me bad I've got to many A/C heights running through my brain.

What's the Fox 34's @ 150 on the production models?

X-Fusion Slant will be 545 @ 160 with 34 stanchions with gold slick anno treatment.

X Fusion Shox - RL2R

ups and downs
    Here's the Fox 34 specs

mtbr member
    I think the following is true...but not sure:

The Fox 34 Axle to Crown is 544.5 with Rake = 44
    RockShox Revelation is 539 with Rake = 42
    White Bros is 534 = 45
    Magura TS8 is 530 = ?
    Last edited by skyak; 11-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.

ups and downs
    Magura TS8 specs

TS8 R 150-100 Fix 26" / 650B*| MAGURA

A2C: 530mm for 150mm and 520mm for 140mm

mtbr member
    I really like the Magura. Apparently they have been getting very good reviews. And not too bad on the weight side at 3.69 lbs.

Maybe going with this fork and using the ride 9 to slacken the front will be a good combo. Will probably mean a much lower BB height, but I don't mind that. HHHMMMMM...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I really like the Magura. Apparently they have been getting very good reviews. And not too bad on the weight side at 3.69 lbs.

Maybe going with this fork and using the ride 9 to slacken the front will be a good combo. Will probably mean a much lower BB height, but I don't mind that. HHHMMMMM...
    Magura does sound very nice and I guess all the settings on the Ride 9 will be a little steeper and a touch lower BB with the shorter fork. Gotta decide if that works for you and might want to ask Rocky about that. Also, check Magura's site for tires that are approved so far that will work in this fork. Most current ones will but the new big tall Schwalbe's are not listed yet. TS8 R 150-100 Fix 26" / 650B*| MAGURA

The X-Fusion Slant you get an extra 10mm of travel free for the same A/C as the Fox. Doesn't mention any need for a spacer for 650B use like the Velvet 140 (which doesn't actually need it at all)

orthonormal

So far I have purchased XX1 compatible wheels (Syncros TR1.0 Carbon 27.5), tires (Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25) and brakes (XTR Trail) for the bike.

I'm getting ready to buy the XX1 gripshift package when it is available...so the fork is the last key piece!!!
    You might want to consider having a tire with a more durable casing and better grip ready to go. This bike seems like it's going to be capable of easily exceeding what a sub 500 gram XC race tire can handle.

I really like the 29" Nobby Nics for my SS but am thinking Hans Dampf might be better with such an aggressive machine.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast