Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    I've now got all the parts on order, except for the Fork, Stem and Brake Rotors. Total cost so far $6,687. I am probably gonna end up about $500 more than the retail of $6,900 + GST.

Parts List:

Frame - Altitude 790 18"
    Fork - TBD
    Head Set - Cane Creek 110
    Stem - TBD
    Handlebar - Niner RDO 710mm
    Grips - SDG Lock-On
    Front Brake - XTR Trail
    Rear Brake - XTR Trail
    Front Brake Rotor - TBD
    Rear Brake Rotor - TBD
    Rear Shifter - XX1 Trigger
    Crankset - XX1 w/ 28T
    Bottom Bracket - Sram GXP Ceramic
    Rear Derailleur - XX1
    Rear Cassette - XX1
    Chain - XX1
    Front Wheel - Syncros TR1.0
    Rear Wheel - Syncros TR1.0 w/ XX1 Driver
    Front Tire - Rocket Ron 2.25" Tubeless Ready
    Rear Tire - Rocket Ron 2.25" Tubeless Ready
    Seat Post - Thomson Setback
    Seat - Specialized Phenom Pro
    Pedals - XTR (980)
    Last edited by skyak; 11-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Update...ended up ordering the Fox 34 Float 650B.

Other options (Magura TS8 / German-A Xcite / RockShox Revelation) were all inticing for different reasons, but in the end the Axle to Crown on the Magura was too short, the German-A was awesome but servicing the fork could be interesting, and the RockShox just never really grabbed my imagination. Hope the xtra weight is worth it.

I've also asked the shop to install the dual remote on the fork so it will adjust the fork and shock at the same time. Only crappy thing is that when you install the remote on the fork you lose the ability to tune the Trail Adjust on the fly. You have to decide whether you want light, medium or firm when you install the remote. You can change it in the future, but it requires changing a "low speed needle spacer" in the fork.
    Last edited by skyak; 11-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Everything now ordered for the bike. Just a waiting game now.

Not sure how the actual weights will turn out, but unless I'm missing something the numbers are adding up to ~23 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-790.jpg  

mtbr member
    Your specsheet still says 2.25 Ron's aka pinner xc race tire. I thought we talked about this?! Hans Dampf 2.35, or cancel your order and get an Element (think of all the weight you'd save).
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    Whoa...one step at a time!

You may not have noticed but I ordered 180mm rotors. The times...they are a changin'.

I might try these:

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snake Skin PaceStar 650B x 2,35" TL-Ready Faltreifen

In regards to the Element...lovely bike...but missing the fun factor.

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Skyak, your bike spec looks pretty unreal... Now, to upgrade my stumpy evo or go with the Altitude... biggest question of the year... Anyway, I just wanted to sub' to this thread to see pics of the final result when it is ready! Tell them to hurry it on up and ship it to you...
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Skyak, your bike spec looks pretty unreal... Now, to upgrade my stumpy evo or go with the Altitude... biggest question of the year... Anyway, I just wanted to sub' to this thread to see pics of the final result when it is ready! Tell them to hurry it on up and ship it to you...
    I doubt I will get the frame any time soon...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We are heading down to Whitefish over the holidays and I will be picking up the fork and wheelset while I'm down there. In January I will have all the parts in my possession and my LBS is probably going to start getting annoyed with me calling them or stopping by every second day...

I'm kinda curious what the Syncros Wheels will be like. I haven't read any reviews and I have no idea who makes the rims for them, but from what I understand the hub and spokes are mostly DT Swiss stuff.

mtbr member
    With no frame, fork or wheels, there is only so much wrenchin' that cab be done...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-p1060609.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-p1060613.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-p1060617.jpg  

mtbr member

Fork and Wheels in da house.

I have now received all of the parts. Hope the frame comes soon.

Front Syncros wheel with 180mm rotor, Stan's rim strip, tube & 2.25 Rocket Ron weighs in at 1,381 grams.

Rear Syncros wheel with XX1 cassette, 180mm rotor, Stan's rim strip, tube & 2.25 Rocket Ron weighs in at 1,728 grams.

Fox 650B fork has been modified for the remote, and travel has been reduced to 150mm. The remote is ready to go under the left side of the handlebars, instead of a shifter.

Pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-one.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-one3.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-one4.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-one7.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-one9.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-one11.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-one12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Frame has arrived, to be picked up tomorrow.

XMAS eve in February!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Really looking forward to seeing this thing all built up and how close it comes to that (shockingly) lite weight from your chart. Hard to wrap my brain around a sub 25lb 150mm bike and here I am happy with just under 30lbs. Gonna be sweet for sure!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if the frame weight includes the fox remote and associated hardware, so probably need to add about a pound or so for tht...ha!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Where the pics.......

mtbr member
    First few fuzzy iPhone photos from the shop.

Weigh in at 23.8 lbs.

More photos coming soon.2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-photo2.jpg2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-photo1.jpg

ups and downs
    Wow, nicely done, that is only 1 pound more than my Element 70 MSL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Wow, nicely done, that is only 1 pound more than my Element 70 MSL
    Mine's only a medium frame though!

mtbr member
    Another pic. Ride 9 is in position 6 (most slack). Now time to start setting up the suspension / seat / bars / levers etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alti.jpg  

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    Mine's only a medium frame though!
    I'd expect less than 100gms difference for the frame size. I imagine that rear shock is a 7.875" eye to eye, so it will be a bit heavier than the 7.5" eye to eye on the Element MSL. All in all still very impressive build weight.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great ride!
    So, do you have a riding report yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That thing is bad @ss time to go bomb!!! still waiting on my 750

mtbr member
    More pictures. Still ski season out here. One thing I am really liking so far is the dual remote setup.

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alt19.jpg2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alt1.jpg2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alt18.jpg2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alt6.jpg2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alt5.jpg2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alt2.jpg2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-alt4.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Beautiful Skyak, bet you can't wait to get some miles and fine tune adjustments on it.

Where I live we were almost down to bare ground and just had almost 20" of snow. XC skiing and snowshoeing for me but the big meltdown has already begun with temps today in the high 40's low 50's through the week.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Finished my MBA on Thursday. Finally time for a few rides this last weekend.

Sizing - I am between 5'10" and 5'11" and ever since Rocky changed their medium from 18.5" to 18" I sometimes question myself before each new Rocky if the large would be a better choice. After taking it out on the trail I am 100% confident that medium is the size for me. It felt perfect. Note that I do run a setback post.

Suspension - took a few minutes to get the rebound dialed in, but after that it felt great. I can't say enough about having 1 remote to activate CTD front and rear. I found myself using it a lot and totally digging it.

Climbing - With the ride nine set at the slackest position (66.6 HA), I definitely noticed a little more front wander on the steeps than my last Altitude, but I suppose this goes without saying...

Flatty stuff - Bike rode like a dream, I have had only one pedal strike so far running in the setting with the lowest BB, but the trails out here are not too bad for strikes

Descend - Thing of beauty. Light and nimble yet gave me tons of confidence.

XX1 - So quiet, works great. But...I am missing my low gearing on the steep climbs. Guess I need to actually build some strength. Argh. Hope Sram comes out with a 44 rear, I hear it may happen.

Overall - Best bike I have owned so far.

mtbr member
    Couple of changes to report:

(1) Busted my XX1 trigger shifter, replaced with grip shift, liking it better.
    (2) Installed a Wolf Tooth Components 26T ring up front to match the 22 x 34 low gear I am used to on 26" wheels.
    (3) Now running 2.25 Hans Dampfs tires tubeless.

Still loving the ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-b2.jpg  

2013 Altitude 790 Frame Ordered-b1.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3