Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

2013 Altitude 750 -- creaking noises

I've got a 2013 Altitude 750 (aluminum version) that's about a month old and has about 60 hours of trail use. It's got quite a bit of creaking and groaning going on when there's some exertion. In saddle, out of saddle, you name it.

Tried tightening what I can...

I tend to think that the crank arms are the culprit, but they're pretty snug. But it's hard to locate precisely. Of course it could be a combination of things....

Others with similar experience?

The bike rides really well, but i'm a bit picky and i don't like squeaky bikes.

mtbr member
    I have the same thing with my 2012 Slayer, and my buddy does with his 2011 Slayer as well. Spent all last weekend completely disassembling the cranks, chainrings, pedals, BB, and main suspension bushings. Everything got a clean, regrease, and then properly torqued back together. Sadly, creaking was still there. Usually I find that cleaning the chainrings and lightly greasing where they meet the crank spider solves the issue on other bikes, but not this.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

rides with camera
    We had a real wet year one year and had a creaking problem on my hardtail, I took out my chain ring bolts and greaed them which worked for me.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Same experience on my wife's 730...
    The noise seems to be located around the upper link!!
    After disassembling all the rear linkage, bushings... Cleaning an torqued (following RM prescription) Noise is still here.
    I don't know if there some relation but the rear back of the bike is clearly not align with the front end. There 's a difference nof nearly 1/2 inch between the two wheels!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Okay... ...i dug into the problem a bit.

1) shock pivots (new style pivot bushings made by Fox) were squeaking. Added a drop of Phil Tenacious Oil all 4 corners and gone.

2) crank arm bolt (right side on the RaceFace cranks) needed to be really really tightened down hard. This took care of the rest of it.

Now the bike is quiet.

The only other issue i've had was that rear wheel spokes loosened up almost immediately. That was easy enough to take care of.

Note - i ride the bike a lot; on chunky trails 6 days/week. I haven't had a completely trouble-free bike EVER, and this RM Altitude seems to be doing pretty well overall. And it rides great.

Thanks for the notes & suggestions.

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by superpi View Post
    Same experience on my wife's 730...
    The noise seems to be located around the upper link!!
    After disassembling all the rear linkage, bushings... Cleaning an torqued (following RM prescription) Noise is still here.
    I don't know if there some relation but the rear back of the bike is clearly not align with the front end. There 's a difference nof nearly 1/2 inch between the two wheels!!!!
    Are the wheels properly dished?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The 142 rear axel can make a good amount of noise if not greased. It is one of the only metal to metal contacts on the bike. Put a good amount of grease on the axel and reinsert, then clean any of the additional grease from the outside of the threads. Creaks can be very hard to chase at times. When my axel is making noise, it sounds like it is coming from the pivot hardware on the shocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    creaking noises are gone !!!
    I just put an amount of grease between the frame and Iguss bushing's washers of the upper rocker.
    There another source of noise on this frame : the alloy cable stop under the bottom bracket. When suspension is in action, tension of the cables makes the internal cable stop insert moving; then it hits the frame in a tic-tic noise; which can be compare to a creaking noise due to the resonance...
    Maybe not an issue on carbon frames
    Last edited by superpi; 06-20-2013 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Was looking at getting the 730, you guys happy with them other than the creaking noises? I have 2 29ers but I think I want something still fast but to get that quicker responsive steering back. Don't get me wrong I love my 29ers just some days I would like to carve the corners harder and the 29 just doesn't do it as well as smaller tired bikes.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockit View Post
    The 142 rear axel can make a good amount of noise if not greased. It is one of the only metal to metal contacts on the bike. Put a good amount of grease on the axel and reinsert, then clean any of the additional grease from the outside of the threads. Creaks can be very hard to chase at times. When my axel is making noise, it sounds like it is coming from the pivot hardware on the shocks.
    Just a friendly reminder that it is spelled AXLE.
    Axel is a dude's name.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The 750 that i have is getting more ride time than my other bike. Definitely rides better (for me) than any 29er I've been on.

Very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Was looking at getting the 730, you guys happy with them other than the creaking noises? I have 2 29ers but I think I want something still fast but to get that quicker responsive steering back. Don't get me wrong I love my 29ers just some days I would like to carve the corners harder and the 29 just doesn't do it as well as smaller tired bikes.
    I just got the 730 last week, sweet ride. I find the rock shoc rear shock is better than the fox on my 2012 element 70 msl. It's a keeper, I'm in the process of switching everything over to X0.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just thought I would post this as it might save someone else some time.

The shop I work for got a size run of Altitude 730 demo bikes a few months back and now that I've worked on a fair number of them I have found that the number one spot that seems to creak is at the rearmost pivots (near the rear dropouts). The little o-rings provided by Rocky Mountain to keep out contaminants seem to do little to prevent the fine dust our local trails largely consist of at the moment from getting between the bushings and causing a pretty irritating creak. Disassembly, cleaning, and greasing of these pivots has resolved the creaking issue in every instance so far, although the creaks have come back on at least one bike as contaminants made their way into the bushings again. Luckily these pivots are easy to service, so it hasn't been too much of a hassle.

I would try this first before blowing every pivot apart.

mtbr member
    I just ordered this bike. I'm glad this isn't an long term issue. It sounds like most are pleased with this bike and brand. Very excited.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    MY 730 Altitude creaks Terribly.

mtbr member
    No creaking or squeaks here. I have over 200 miles on my bike. However, my Monarch makes a squishing noise but it has nothing to do with the bike.

Do any of you with noises put a light film of grease on your bushings? I have. Maybe its a maintenance issue.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have greased and cleaned every bushing. Tightened everything checked axles seat post peddle noise checked for greased and tightened peddled greased peddle threads. Graesed tightened seat post.new BB. Greased and prepacked head set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My week old Alt 750 started squeaking,took apart the upper link and greased metal to metal tourqed up and all is quite now.
    It was fun putting it back together because i forget to put the shock on first!
    Awsome bike though!

2013 Altitude 750  -- creaking noises-abc.jpg
    Altitude 750 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah ill try the pivot again too thanks.

mtbr member
    For the time I have o my bike, the only thing I found was the need to grease the shock bolts. I was riding 30 hours a week xc and dh rain or shine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Weird to hear about all these creaking issues.. I've put nearly 1100 miles on my slayer in the last 8 months and it is completely creak free. I do keep it clean and greased but thats about it... and I dont loc tite the suspension bolts.. I keep them extremely clean and greased.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    Weird to hear about all these creaking issues.. I've put nearly 1100 miles on my slayer in the last 8 months and it is completely creak free. I do keep it clean and greased but thats about it... and I dont loc tite the suspension bolts.. I keep them extremely clean and greased.
    The Slayer doesn't use RM's ABC pivots.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Seem to have cured my minor creaking, the lower shock mount bolt was pretty dry stock from the shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Finally No CREAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the whole rear off cleaned and torqued all pivots to correct (INCH POUNDS) NOT FOOT POUNDS. Been A Creak Free Rocky Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

wheelie king
    Where did you get the torque specs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast