mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2012 Slayer 70 with Fox RP23 XV PSI

I've had the pleasure of owning a 2012 Slayer 70 since last October. The bike has been fantastic for the most part and has been able to tackle everything I've thrown at it.

The one issue I have had is the Rp23. I weigh 170-175lbs with my camelbak on. According to Fox, and everything I have read, I should be running around 160-185PSI in the shock. Even with 185 and full rebound, the shock is terrible on climbs and sags down 55-65% when I pedal as hard as I can on flat ground.

In order for the bike to perform well on climbs and downhills alike, I have been having to run 205-220PSI and 4-5 clicks from full rebound. Has anyone else had a similar issue with the RP23 or the Slayer? Also, I've been running 60-65PSI on the 36 Float and 1 click off full rebound. Lastly, I always ride clipped in and try to get air off of everything. The few times I set my RP23 to 185 and went riding on the XC trails that are near my house I somehow managed to come within .5mm of bottoming out. Boosting the PSI up to at least 205 yields much better results.

I will likely send my shock to be Pushed over the winter but I am curious as to whether the necessity for higher than recommended pressures is normal with the Rp23 XV or the Slayer frame in general.

mtbr member
    Shredjekyll, i have very similar results with what you have described too. The first couple of rides with my Slayer, i thought there was a problem with the RP23 because it compressed so easily when pedaling off the seat. I too tried adding more pressure but found it too rough going downhill. My Altitude 970 with the same RP23 feels much firmer pedaling uphill but still plush going down. I don't notice the sag as much now on the Slayer or maybe i've adjusted my riding style.

ups and downs
    Have you tried someone else's shock pump to make sure the gauge is reading correctly?

With the shock leverage ratio on most of the current Rocky FS bikes you likely want to run about 10-15% over your body weight (except Element 29" which likely need some more than that) and then begin tuning for 25% sag from there. .
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Its the shock. Order Fox's volume reducer kit for under 20 and use the larger reducer. Youll be happier. Or use a smaller volume shock, the 2012 BLOWS through low/mid stroke just looking at the bike. The 2013 shock options are stellar fyi.

mtbr member
    Like you guys I had the exact same issues with my 2012 Slayer, and the volume reducer worked PERFECTLY!

Before it was impossible to not bottom the shock with any sort of small bump compliance, now I can keep it nice and plush and it never bottoms. Reacts much better.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Tarekith, Like shredjekyll, i'm approximately 170 geared up, may i ask how much you weigh and where you purchased this volume reducer?

mtbr member
    I'm around 190 probably, and got the kit from jensonusa.com or Pricepoint.com, I can't remember which.
    Tarekith.com

ups and downs
    That was the recommendation for the 2006 Slayer 70 as well, a smaller volume RP3 air sleeve made the rear suspension ramp up quicker for heavier riders to prevent blowing through the travel.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

has anyone tried this? It's practically free.

Bikes-bikes-bikes: Modding: RP23 (simple)

PS. I have the same issue with my slayer 50, the RP23 is really the only thing I don't like. I'm planning on upgrading to a coil, been saving up.

mtbr member
    Looks like the same idea as the Volume Reducers, though I'm not sure that the thin sheeting is equal to the mass displaced by the Reducer kit. Most people I know use the largest volume reducer in the kit, so you'd probably need 2-3 sheets that size to equal the same mass.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Like you guys I had the exact same issues with my 2012 Slayer, and the volume reducer worked PERFECTLY!

Before it was impossible to not bottom the shock with any sort of small bump compliance, now I can keep it nice and plush and it never bottoms. Reacts much better.
    Tarekith, did you notice better climbing performance with the volume reducer? Love the bike but man the suspension tuning seems WAY off, rear travel is gone like nothing and the 36 won't near bottom short of riding off a cliff.

mtbr member
    Sure, it climbs a lot better since I can tune it now without it bottoming out. I ended up with the largest spacer for my weight (185 geared up) and riding style. Ended the summer with everything from 4000'+ climbing days to laps in the bike park. Never bottomed it again, and it still soaks up the trail. Like I said, I prefer a really plush rear suspension though, not sure if that matters.

Try doing an oil change on the 36, that made a huge difference here as well. Both of my lowers had nowhere near the amount of fluid they were supposed to from the factory. Once I did that, I could run lower air pressures to get the full travel too.

Really happy with how the suspension on this bike works once I did the maintenance to get everything how it should have come brand new but didn't. Feels like a downhill bike on the way down, and still reactive and dampened enough for rolling trails or long climbs.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Sure, it climbs a lot better since I can tune it now without it bottoming out. I ended up with the largest spacer for my weight (185 geared up) and riding style. Ended the summer with everything from 4000'+ climbing days to laps in the bike park. Never bottomed it again, and it still soaks up the trail. Like I said, I prefer a really plush rear suspension though, not sure if that matters.

Try doing an oil change on the 36, that made a huge difference here as well. Both of my lowers had nowhere near the amount of fluid they were supposed to from the factory. Once I did that, I could run lower air pressures to get the full travel too.

Really happy with how the suspension on this bike works once I did the maintenance to get everything how it should have come brand new but didn't. Feels like a downhill bike on the way down, and still reactive and dampened enough for rolling trails or long climbs.
    That's GREAT news! I am now excited about the bike again. I am the same weight geared up and by the sounds of it similar riding style. I will definitely do everything you have recommended, shoot I was in process of researching a new shock or sending it out to PUSH and considering a different fork before coming across this thread. Even started looking at different bikes but really couldn't get over the potential this thing really ought to have.

Hope the shoulder is doing well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I installed the volume reducer as well along with an air sleeve rebuild kit. I started with the large spacer and what a difference it made! It still has the great small bump response but is much improved at mid and full travel. In fact, I set the pressure at 205 where I used to run 220+ to avoid blowing thru all the travel just by jouncing the bike. I didn't notice much improvement with pedaling efficiency, in fact the propedal feels almost but that may be another issue. I am very happy with this mod.

On another note for the '12 Slayer owners with the Fox 36; I did the maintenance (lowers oil, FIT oil, and wiper seal/foam ring) change on my Fox 36 RLC FIT and what a difference. All the oil for the left lower was in the left upper air chamber, which would explain the inability to ever get close to using the full travel.

Overall a much improved ride!! Thanks for this thread, it lead me in the right direction! Now only if it climbed a little better :-)

mtbr member
    I had the same issue with my oil on the left being up in the upper chamber. Seal issues?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That was my thoughts as well. If I had a seal kit I would have replaced the seals for the air spring piston. I will definitely keep an eye on it to see how long before the oil is back up top.

Lost the small BB for the LSC knob but still got the spring. Any idea if it's available separate?

mtbr member
    No idea, but Fox seem pretty easy to get ahold of via their website. I'd ask there.

I have a seal kit, but haven't gone that far yet in terms of rebuild. Probably do it this spring though.
    Tarekith.com