mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2012 Element 970 SID fork travel?

I've had my 970 for a couple of months now and I've just noticed that the exposed length of the fork stanchions is only 80 mm at rest when the stated fork travel is 100 mm.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Does this mean there might be 20 mm of negative travel from the second air chamber at the bottom of the fork?

Also, is anyone running a 120 mm travel fork...I'm thinking of getting a 2013 SID now they have 120 mm travel in the 29er model. I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this much travel on the Element 29ers, especially you 950 owners.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Mine show 95mm of the stantions. Looks like the negative pressure is too high, did you check?

I'm not sure running a 120mm fork all the time is a good idea. The 120mm setting on the 950 is meant for downhills, not for general XC riding. But other might have different ideas

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Double check your negative pressure, odds are it is higher than you positive. Tip - bleed the air out of both chambers and fill the positive first and then the negative chamber. I usually try to keep the negative 5-10 psi under the positive

While you're monkeying around with your fork, drop the lowers are pull the 10mm spacer out of the air piston assembly and bump the travel to 110mm. Regrease/lube and Voila! Mo betta'

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the tips guys - schoolboy error on my part.

I reduced the negative spring pressure and the the stanchions went back to 100mm.

But I needed to reduce it to 70psi (with 120psi in the main chamber) to get the full 100mm. I've always run 10psi more in the negative chamber to increase apparent plushness?

Thanks also for the tip about the 10mm spacer - I will definitely give it a go!

Chris.