Clydesdale Warrior

New question here. 2012 Altitude 970 Ardent's Tubeless?

I'm not clear which of the MANY versions of Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 is stock on the 2012 Altitude 970.

Any recommendations for or against running these tires tubeless on the stock "Tubeless Ready" DT Swiss rims?

sh0rty :P

Clydesdale Warrior

Good job! Works!

Picked up my Altitude 970 last night, LBS installed Stans strips and fluid on the stock DT Swiss M520 Rims using the stock "Maxxis Ardent 29 2.25 Folding Bead" tires (they are not the "Tubeless Ready" version of the Ardents). Was a little tricky to get the bead to seat at first (compressor needed, lots of spray-out), but once seated and sealed they seem to be holding pressure well, no seeping through the sidewalls at all.

I thought the Altitude 970 came with the DT Swiss strips (states "Tubeless Ready" in the catalog, which usually means the strips are included form Rocky) but they were not shipped with the bike. However the LBS was awesome and provided in-stock Stans strips gratis and set them up for me immediately.

I'll update if I have any problems with this setup, so far it is working out well.

Clydesdale Warrior

No good Fail!

Complete FAIL on first 'real' decent on this setup. Rolling an 18" step-down, one I have done a hundred times before, the front tire blew right off the bead on landing, and over the bars I went.

Running tubes on these tires now, do not recommend these tires for tubeless at all. The beads are just too lose.

I have had great success running WTB Bronson TCS tubeless, I'll probably go back to these for future tubeless setup.

mtbr member
    Wow glad you are ok!!

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    I've been running maxxis ardent tires tubeless in 2.25 and 2.429'er versions. No issues ever for over 2 years now and 10 tires later between all my bikes. Slightly snug when new. I actually think they are really good to set compared to some other "non tubeless" official tires. I seat mine with a floor pump. Was this the first time you tried a tubeless setup? I must disclose that I am using Stan's arch ex setup I guess. I am glad you are ok! Not a fun fall I can imagine...
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor69PRS View Post
    I've been running maxxis ardent tires tubeless in 2.25 and 2.429'er versions. No issues ever for over 2 years now and 10 tires later between all my bikes. Slightly snug when new. I actually think they are really good to set compared to some other "non tubeless" official tires. I seat mine with a floor pump. Was this the first time you tried a tubeless setup? I must disclose that I am using Stan's arch ex setup I guess. I am glad you are ok! Not a fun fall I can imagine...
    I'll 2nd that. I've found the 2.25 Ardents (and all current Maxxis tires I've tred) to work great on Stan's rims. Easy set up and no blowoffs. I think the rims and bead hook make all the difference.

I'm glad the OP is OK!

ups and downs
    I suspect that the Stan's rim strips don't have enough bead shoulder shaping to use on the DT rims, those are quite large on the DT Swiss rim strip kit. The rim strips need to have big enough shoulders to act as the bead hooks to keep the tires from burping off the bead. The Stan's strips usually require a couple of wraps of the packing tape under the rim strips. The Stan's strips might work on the DT rims if you build up the centre rim diameter with some fiberglass packing tape .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Altitude 970 Ardent's Tubeless?-tubelesskit_ohneverpackung_xr-x_web.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Clydesdale Warrior
    Not my first time doing tubeless, but the first time doing it with a standard "folding bead" tire and DT Swiss rims, only used WTB TCS tires in the past. Have had great success with TCS tires with Stans strips on Mavic M321's and SunRingle MTX33's.

The DT Swiss kit is kinda ridiculousness on price (I thought they were included with the "Tubless Ready" wheels from RM, they were not), will try building up the wheel with tape before trying the Stans again as you suggest rockyuphill, but only when I have tires with proper beads. Being a Clyde I don't want to risk experimenting on that front tire again. I want to ride confident not scared.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

ups and downs
    In the small print on the DT Swiss kit it says they say only to use UST tires, so they're relying on the UST tire beads. So the newer actual tubeless ready tires that have the UST style bead like the WTB TSC or the new RTR Conti tires should work.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Clydesdale Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    Wow glad you are ok!!
    Thanks! Pretty soft landing on loose gravel, fortunately no damage to myself or the new bike. Just glad it failed where it did and not on something bigger/steeper/rockier. It could have been much worse!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have never had issues with the ardents setting up tubeless. I can honestly say i can't stand the dt swiss red tubless tape that came with the wheels. They seem to slip around on the rim and leave spots for air to escape. I put on the old reliable stans yellow tape and no problems at all.

President of the Internet
    I've been researching this for my DT Swiss M1900 wheels. I've read that the Bontrager tubeless kit works well. and its much cheaper.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I bought the DT swiss kit for mt dt swiss m480 rims , no way were they gonna fit using schwalbe fat albert tyres . Stans rim tape no problems. 60 wasted the kit is rubbish.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shorty...

I am 205 without gear. I set-up my Element 950 tubeless (stock DT-Swiss rims and Maxxis tires) with Stan's yellow rim tape and sealant. While they "work" on my ultra-smooth XC rides, I don't really trust them. The rim is narrow and the tires are flimsy...not a good combination for me, or you.

I love to make my bike lighter, but I bit the bullet and ordered a new wheelset with WTB i23 Frequency rims and run them with WTB TCS tires or other tubeless ready tires that have a square shaped UST bead to match the i23's square shaped UST bead hook. The fit and ride quality is awesome!

The problem is...the WTB tires are not lightweight. I run a Nano 2.1 TCS on the back and a Specialized "The Captain" 2.0 Control on the front. I may experiment with front tires in the future, but right now my selections mount easily, have a great tire/rim interface (semi-difficult to pull the WTB TCS tire off the i23 rim when deflated), and give me total confidence.

The WTB Bronson TCS is a great tire if your terrain, or weight, make it a necessity. I have one and use it when I'm gonna ride burly terrain. I think the extra weight is worth it if it means you won't be going over the bars again.