mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2011 RM Altitiude 29 suspension tuning

Just picked up a NOS Altitude 29, size medium. I picked up a RP23 at the same time. I've got that installed already. Does anyone have any advice or a set up guide for the suspension? I'm about 190# geared up. So far I've decided to start with 25% sag (1/2"). Seems like a decent place to start.

ups and downs
    Did you buy an RP23 that was tuned for the Altitude 29? If it was a generic shock tune you will likely find it a bit frustrating to get it setup correctly. There was an optimum shock tune for the Altitude frames that included the Boost Valve, the air canister sizing, rebound and compression damping and Pro-Pedal damping.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It is a generic tune. I still have the float, if I have trouble with the RP23 I will switch back and send it to be PUSH'd.

ups and downs
    You're in the right sag range. Where are you for pressure to get 25% sag? With the standard RP23 you may find that once you get it set for the right sag that it feels harsh on hard edge hits and embedded rocks, that's where the Boost Valve made quite a difference, it took care of the high spike velocity compression hits without needing the pressure run quite low for general riding.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll have to look with a different pump. My shock pump's guage is unreliable. 10% difference in repeatability, so I never pay attention to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    checked, rechecked, rechecked. average 165 psi for 1/2" sag. I'll post up a ride report after the weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So, got the first ride in today this bike rides great. I was pretty pleased with the suspension's behavior over rocks, roots and ruts. It was just my backyard loop which doesn't have too many big stutters, just smaller ones in the 3-6" range, so hopefully tomorrow will be more conducive to testing someplace a little knarlier.