Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow, that's seriously expensive and even more so if they're only lasting a short length of time in some cases.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The LBS told me that the bushings only come as a full kit with all the ABC + IGUS bushings and the beveled washers, not sure if includes the bolts, but apparently the retail price is $450, and a replacement swing link is about $250.
    They come in a bag for the bushings. You get the 12 IGUS ABC bushing/bearings and you get a cylinder one that goes on the main pivot and there are two conical washers that also go on the main pivot. The kit does not have the conical washers or the bolts.

If the retail price is $450, then that is a big fail.

I love my Element and it is one of the best bikes around, but the cost of maintenance should not be that high if that price is correct.
    Last edited by leggatt; 10-16-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Hack Racer
    Anyone know of a shop willing to do a group buy for the bushing kit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi guys

Trying to convert my RSL team into a MSL (100mm travel to 120mm) and am under the impression all i need is the correct length shock and the washers etc? or do i need a new link/rocker as well?

they are already wanting to charge me $150 for the washers!

Regards,

Matthew

ups and downs
    The MSL link is longer as well. The new link is about $250 according to the mechanic at my LBS.

To do the conversion you'd have the new 7.5" x 2" shock, the MSL linkage hardware kit and the new link.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yup, new shock and new link and new bolt kit.

Hack Racer
    2012 model on sale at JensonUSA.

Rocky Mountain Element Team RSL Frame > Components > Forks > Bushing and Rebuild Kits | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

$1899 USD

Get yours while you can. There is no more 2013 RSL version of the element. What a shame. Especially for those who don't like 29ers. Me being one of them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Who Wants to Swap Links?? RSL /\ MSL

Hi, I just messaged Matthew, and I want to put it out there for anyone else. I've got an MSL with almost three hundred miles on it, in great shape, and I'd like to swap down to an RSL if anyone wants to trade Links.

If my local terrain was rockier I'd keep the 120m travel... but it's smooth enough hereabouts that I'd like to go a little steeper with the angles.

Thanks!

(email is best: benalmada at gmail dot com )

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt View Post
    How many rides did you get? My bushings were bagged after a season of use and of fairly limited riding on the bike. While they make the bike stiff, I would certainly recommend changing them quite regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I was trying to figure that out, I ran the fork and shock right out of oil apparently (had the black gummy bits on the fork stanchions from the melted seals), so it was likely 400+ hours so around 4000km over two seasons of riding.
    My second set of ABC bearings and aluminum bushings wore out to the point of play after 140 hours on the lower swing link pivots between March and October. I inspect them regularily now to avoid damaging the swing link. I figure ~$200 per year for bushings, bearings and pivot axles, so only a little more cost than steel cartridge bearings, but ABCs are lighter quieter and have better performance.

ups and downs
    This is some useful info for those juggling drivetrain brands. There's two different chaindrop plates for 2 speed and 3 speed Shimano FD's. This also gives you an idea of what parts will be different in the FD swap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Element RSL / MSL FAQ's-fd-element-2011-diagram.gif  

2011 Element RSL / MSL FAQ's-fd-element-2011-list.gif  

Hack Racer
    Are those shimano part numbers or rocky mountain?

ups and downs
    Those are all RMB part numbers out of the 2011-2012 tech manual from the bikeaction.de website.

Hack Racer
    i'm guessing that what was shipped with the frames is the 3 ring config plate? I didn't recall seeing two sets.

ups and downs
    It would likely depend on what the standard drivetrain was, I should compare the chaindrop plate on my MSL and RSL frames. I bet the RSL frame was shipped with the 2x10 drop plate.

ups and downs
    Well, maybe the two different drop plates are a 2012 thing, my 2011 RSL and MSL frames have the same size of chaindrop guard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Element RSL / MSL FAQ's-2012_1121new0002-001.jpg  

2011 Element RSL / MSL FAQ's-2012_1121new0004.jpg  

Hack Racer
    I bought my 2011 RSL team as frame only...

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    I bought my 2011 RSL team as frame only...
    Me too.

Hack Racer
    Did we ever come to a conclusion for the chain drop plate for the 2011 frames? I'm about to pull my XTR M970 triple crank and install on a M985 FD, and M985 crankset along with the left hand shifter.

I would love to only have to do this once. Where RM-PM?

Hack Racer
    So I went into my local bicycle shop who is a Rocky Mountain dealer. I showed them the picture of the different antidrop plates for the different derailleur configurations.

I asked them what happens if I run the 3 Ring shimano antidrop plate with a double crankset, and if I need to specifically run the double antidrop plate. I got a funny look and a blank stare.

They said they would talk to the Rocky Rep. It's been a week with no response.

What's the scoop on this special antidrop plate?

ups and downs
    It's likely adjusted for the typical 2x10 chainring ratios which use that bigger tooth count granny ring so it can catch the chain before dropping as far into the gap. I'm running a 22/32/44 9 speed drivetrain and I've had no chain drop off the inside so I don't even have a scuff on that chaindrop plate yet.

What's interesting is that there is apparently no chain drop plate when using the SRAM FD.

chips & bier
    Oh, sorry about that. These days I, for some reason, never get around to actually posting replies.

I converted my MSL to a double crankset derailleur and still use the original triple drop plate. The crank is a modified XTR (I run 22/36 rings or 24/38 locally) and the derailleur is an XT. The plate has a couple of scuff marks, but that is most likely due to the chain dropping of during transport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    bought a elemnet 29er s/hand it had sram on so bought e type mech but it did not come with plate, running 3x9 and do i need the plate?

ups and downs
    There's no SRAM FD chain deflection plates, I'm guessing that might be because of the SRAM FD cage shape, or maybe the mounting plate. But if you're running a Shimano FD now you might want to get a plate to prevent the chain getting jammed in between the swingarm and small gear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Viton O-Rings

I'm the proud owner of a '11 Element Team RSL. With no local dealer, Rocky has been amazingly helpful, along with this thread. Thanks for all the information.

So, I bought a set of viton 1.5mm x 20mm o-rings off amazon for $6 for 10 shipped via amazon prime. They fit great and fill the void between the igus and alloy bushings to keep the crud out just fine. Much nicer than the cracking nitrile ones that were on the bike. Where they hadn't cracked and broken off.

I got 'em within 2 days but it seems they are delayed at the moment. Newbie here, so I can't post links. Go to amazon and paste B005RUPRHY into the search field.

Erik

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone got the real price for the bushing kit on those frames.

I am looking to buy a brand new 26in RSL frame and the 450$ service kit quoted a few post above is kind of a turn off...

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast