mtbr member

2009 Vertex 70 RSL headset bearings

Was getting some creaking from the front end last week. Had some free time so I took the fork out today. To my surprise when I dropped the fork, both the top and bottom bearings came apart. They obviously were sealed bearings at some point, but the inner ring is no longer connected. There was a bottom portion, the bearings inside, red seal, then the top piece. All pieces freely came apart. I packed it with a bunch of grease and put it back together for now, but obviously they need to be replaced. I contacted info@rockymountain and they blew me off and told me that it was a dealer issue and nothing they could tell me about the headset. Really? Does RM not sell the bikes with headsets? Can they not tell me the spec of the headset that goes into one of their frames?

So I appeal to the forum for any help. The headset didn't have any markings on it that revealed its size/type/spec. Here is the response from RM.

Hello Matt,

Thanks for riding Rocky Mountain. This should be a question for your local bike shop because the only bearings in a Vertex are the BB and the headset and none of those are Rocky Mountain parts.

Jeff

ups and downs
    You're after a Campy spec Integrated headset with 45/45 deg bearings and 42mm insertion. The 41.8mm headsets also work since the 45 deg seats self centre the bearings. These are the same spec as BMX bikes use for integrated headsets, so they aren't exotic. Here's a couple of options

Universal Cycles -- FSA Impact Pro Integrated Headset
    Universal Cycles -- FSA Orbit CF Ceramic Headset
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I am really just after the bearings. Can I still use the FSA carbon top piece that came with the bike (not the top cap on the stem)? It is a 1.5 cm rise. The bearings and compression fitting should be all I need right?