mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2008 Slayer SXC 50 creaking like mad!!

Hello all,

I really need help pointing this out.
    My Slayer started creaking early this season, but I waited until 2 weeks ago to decide to investigate the problem.
    When I push on the pedals with enough force, one after the other, it creaks.
    Example: Right pedal: creak!
    Left pedal: creak!
    Right pedal: creak!
    And so on....

But in this case: Right pedal: creak!
    Left pedal: creak!
    Left pedal: NO creak
    Left pedal: NO creak
    Right pedal: creak!

Hope you understand the pattern lol.
    The creaking sound seems to be caused by frame torsion.
    When I push straight down on the seat to move the suspension, there is no creaking.

First thing I did was to inpect the frame for cracks and I did not find any.
    After that, I sent the bike to my LBS for a complete cleanup, adjustement, greasing service.
    Still creaking.

After further investigation, I found that the creak seems to come from the shock mount. So I dissasembled it, cleaned, greased: Still creaking...

I have no idea where to search anymore.

Here is what was done to the bike by my LBS and myself:

- Front and rear wheel hubs cleaned, greased, adjusted
    - Wheels trued
    - Fork cleaned, oil changed, dust wiper seals changed.
    - Headers disassembled, cleaned, greased, bearings where still good.
    - Pedal bearings disassembled, cleaned, greased, adjusted
    - Shock mount disassembled, cleaned, greased
    - Same thing with shock bushings
    - 4 rear pivot bearings changed.
    - BB changed because the bearings where done

thx for your help.
    Last edited by SebasSXC; 08-10-2012 at 05:56 AM.

ups and downs
    Chainring bolts tightened?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Rocking on a Rocky
    My Rocky was creaking around the seat tube cause the frame was cracked

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Chainring bolts tightened?
    I checked them and they are well tightened.

And the seat tube seams OK.
    It creaks when I press on the pedals only.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Seatpost and saddle tightened?
    If you're still running the OEM seatpost on it, check it as I had a mine on my SXC separate at the head/tube junction and got it replaced under warranty. It used to creak a bit.

A long shot, but have you checked that the cranks aren't cracked at either the spider or at the pedal holes?
    Can you transfer the cranks/pedals to another bike to check them and rule them in/out?

Have you greased the BB threads during re-install after installing new bearings? There may not have been enough grease in there in the first place.

Headset adjusted correctly?

ups and downs
    The longest of long shots, but one that had me chasing a creak on my 2000 Vertex for months. It only creaked while pedaling, seated or standing, and after months of regreasing and replacing everything it turned out to be the plastic buckle on my hydration pack. It hadn't occurred to me that the hydration pack was present in all the creaking situations until I heard the creak when I got off the bike mid-ride to chase the creak, and bent down to look at the pedals. Same thing could happen with body armour.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB View Post
    Seatpost and saddle tightened?
    If you're still running the OEM seatpost on it, check it as I had a mine on my SXC separate at the head/tube junction and got it replaced under warranty. It used to creak a bit.

And anyway, the bike creaks if I goof around with the seatpost removed.

A long shot, but have you checked that the cranks aren't cracked at either the spider or at the pedal holes?
    Can you transfer the cranks/pedals to another bike to check them and rule them in/out?

Have you greased the BB threads during re-install after installing new bearings? There may not have been enough grease in there in the first place.

Headset adjusted correctly?
    Yes the seatpost and saddle are tightened. I event unscrewed the saddle and clean the rails, the mounting clamp and the tightening bolt.
    I also cleaned the seat tube and the seat post. There was a lot of grease and dirt in there.

And the BB was installed by my LBS. I suppsoe they did it correctly. The creak sound did not change before and after the replacement anyway.

I can feel the creak in my feet when pedaling.
    But yesterday I tried something. I held the bike leaned about 45 degrees, and pushed on the bottom tube close to the shock mount, making sure I apply no pressure on the pedals.. and it made the creak sound. Maybe it is in the swingarm pivot also.. but my LBS cleaned it...

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @SebasSXC - any luck on finding the source of your creak?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB View Post
    @SebasSXC - any luck on finding the source of your creak?
    No... I couldn't find it.
    I kind of abandonned the search... even if its really annoying.
    I just hope its not the frame and it won't snap in my face while going at high speed...

ups and downs
    If the LBS has done all the work already you might to ask them if they greased all the metal to metal contact points on the pivots, bearings and conical washers (a lot of people miss the conical washer grease). If everything has been greased the things that might still cause creaks are a bearing not pressed in square or a alloy bolt that has cracked from over torque.

And there's Loctite vs. Grease for the bearing install...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Slayer SXC 50 creaking like mad!!-rmb-loctite-grease.gif