mtbr member

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 30 for $600?

Hi I was looking on Craigslist and found this bike. Its got Fox shocks front and rear. 18" frame. It sounds like a smokin' deal but I don't know if I should jump on it or get a 29er hardtail. I do XC and single track mostly. Right now I have a 08' Trek 3900 19" thats too big for me. Any ideas? Thanks
    '03 Giant Yukon

ups and downs
    That's a decent price. It is quite a tall bike with lots of BB clearance, but that can put people off if they're used to a low BB hardtail. It is a nicely behaved FS bike and pedals well.

BikePedia - 2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 30 Complete Bicycle
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Cycle Psycho
    I might be totally off here, but since this ETSX design doesn't really have a chainstay, per sŤ, is this frame able to accept a belt drive?

Most belt drive frames have an "opening" to get that belt in there, but if you remove the rear wheel from an ETSX, doesn't the chain just fall, without hitting any obstructions? Is there anything from letting a belt go on there? Any input appreciated, thanks.

(Not that I really want a belt drive, more curious than anything)

The ETSX is a SWEET ride, best I ever had. My favorite aspect is that there is no chance of chainslap. It's silent, and that chain won't damage any stays. It's a beautiful thing and I've always wondered why more bikes aren't designed this way, including hardtails.

Anyone know of other options that have a "ghost" chainstay? I really hate chainslap, but I'm poor.

Nevermind, I just found this thread about Elevated Chain Stays, or ECS or E-Stays. Awesome: retrobike :: View topic - Coolwall - E-stays
    Last edited by Gritter; 12-09-2011 at 07:29 AM.
    BIKES!

ups and downs
    No suspension bike that has a pivot anywhere but around the BB can use a belt drive, you can't use an external tensioner on a belt drive, and the belt drive can't compensate for chain growth.

That leaves you with Kona A, Cove G-spot or a Dean Titanium FS as some of the only suspension bikes that have no chain growth under suspension compression.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada