Thread: 2008 Element 90

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2008 Element 90

It's a done deal, the 2008 Element 90 will be my main ride/race steed for 2008! I'm stoked, I've never ridden an FS before so I'm hoping it will live up to the hype. I'm planning on racing at the Elite level provincially next season, thus I wanted to a FS bike to smooth things out over the longer distance (5 laps vs 4 laps in Expert typically). It should also be great for that annual trip to the Rockies where before I got PUNISHED on my Rocky HT with v-brakes!

I'm thinking of giving tubeless tires a try as well seeing as how it comes with CrossMax SL wheels. I'm not sure if the factory Hutchinson's are tubeless or not, either way I think I'll order a set of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs in 2.1 tubeless. Sure they weigh more, but the bike already will likely weigh 4 lbs more than my trusty hardtail.

Other switches will be the saddle, bar and peddles. I'll go with a classic Flite, a Raceface NEXT carbon flat bar, and either my existing SPD's or perhaps I'll try the new Look pedals. I'm also not sure about the SRAM shifting which I've never tried before. If I don't like it after some test riding I'll switch out to XT shifters with an XTR rear mech.

I wasn't sure about the Formula brakes, then I read the reviews on this site. Wow, they are the best reviewed brakes out there!

Word from the rep is that they go into production in January, so the bike will likely arrive in February. So watch this space for detail pics around that time.

A very pumped,
    Kris
    Attached Images Attached Images

chips & bier
    Well, happy trails on it! Racing Ralphs are a good investment for hardpack and relatively easy courses/trails - most of the XC circuit here runs them. As for the other changes in the setup: sounds good. The Formula brakes a great (I've been working on/with them for almost a year now).

fux
    Scooterist
    Sounds like its going to be a loooong wait...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    Sounds like its going to be a loooong wait...
    At least I've got my trusty RM Trailhead to keep me out on the trails until the snow falls. I had a great night ride last night at a local riding spot. It was my first night ride with decent lights and I found it super fun. Riding at night definitely adds new challenges to trails that you can usually ride blindfolded. Tomorrow a friend and I are heading out for a 4 hour ride at one of the best trail centres around, can't wait.

The looooong wait will be December till it arrives... the even loooooooonger wait will be from deliver to the first real trail ride in April.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'm confused... didn't you say the rep reported production doesn't begin till january on them so february delivery time ?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I guess that should have said, "from December until it arrives."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I will looking forward to you having the new bike also. Maybe it will slow you down on the hills, and give me a chance.

No seriously, I'm sure you will like it. I love my FS
    Dave

mtbr member
    You'll love it, I love my Element.

If I was planning on replacing my bike anytime soon it would be with another Element. Would love to see them make it in a 29er, or full carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I prefer the 70 over the 90. Not sure about the price but I think it's a much better deal. 70 gives you the full 08 XT drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If I was paying retail I'd likely go for the 70, however, on the Ambassador program both bikes are the same price. For equal money I had to go with the 90 just for the classic Blizzard paint scheme and the Crossmax SL wheels. I do wish it had the XT cassette and shifters and XTR Shadow rear mech of the 70, as I said I might do a switch.

fireball04 - anything lost on the ups will be gained on the downs! Besides, on pure climbing courses like Blackstrap the ht can still come out and play.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Pardon the drool

I've secretly lusted after an element since riding a friends in 98. I didnt even know they made a 90 is that new for this year? and your right the blizzard colours are awsome.

I doubt you'll want ditch the SRAM once you've tried it. I loved my 9.0SL rear until it snapped and the X0 that replaced it is even better, beefier and lighter with super crisp shifts. I'd still be using my XGen instead of the XT front but my frame requires a top swing. Never used the triggers but if the quality is on par with their twisters and derailers you should be smilin (once you get used to them of course). I've never used any XTR so can't compare it with the top end but I found it far better than any of the LX or XT I've tried.

I rode tubeless this spring for the first time and really liked the traction and little bit of cushioning from the lower pressure, really noticed it at Buffalo Pd in wet weather. I've never pinch flatted on the trais here, only in town so that wasnt a real selling point.

I too never saw much need for discs riding in southern Sask, but after all the rain we had this year in May and June I pulled the pin on a set of Hopes.Too bad I was sidelined with a concussion for most of the summer and have only tried them on a handful of rides this fall, so far I'm a convert.

Enjoy, I'll try not to stare as you lap me next spring.
    Last edited by hovdeboj; 10-05-2007 at 03:30 PM.
    The Dude Abides

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    If I was paying retail I'd likely go for the 70, however, on the Ambassador program both bikes are the same price. For equal money I had to go with the 90 just for the classic Blizzard paint scheme and the Crossmax SL wheels. I do wish it had the XT cassette and shifters and XTR Shadow rear mech of the 70, as I said I might do a switch.

fireball04 - anything lost on the ups will be gained on the downs! Besides, on pure climbing courses like Blackstrap the ht can still come out and play.
    I am not sure if you got the bill for your Element 90 yet but when you do there is a very good chance you are going to be surprised. I was looking at the prices for the Element 70 and Element 90 through the Ambassador program ( I work at a shop that sells Rocky Mountain ) and noticed they were the same price but nowhere near the same price Retail. I thought maybe because the Element 90 was a new model this year that Rocky might be discounting it a bit more for the ambassador program to get more out there. I decided to order the Element 90 and called our sales rep. Before I placed the order I asked him to confirm the price and he was very surprised they were priced the same. His book said the same thing so he checked the US dealer Ambassador program and there was a fairly significant price difference between the 70 and 90. Canadian dealers have since received updated pricing for the Ambassador program and the 90 is quite a bit more expensive than the 70. Don't have the exact amount here with me but it was at least $500 more.
    I assumed you were in Canada for this post since that is where Rocky had a price mix up that I was aware of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky17
    I am not sure if you got the bill for your Element 90 yet but when you do there is a very good chance you are going to be surprised. I was looking at the prices for the Element 70 and Element 90 through the Ambassador program ( I work at a shop that sells Rocky Mountain ) and noticed they were the same price but nowhere near the same price Retail. I thought maybe because the Element 90 was a new model this year that Rocky might be discounting it a bit more for the ambassador program to get more out there. I decided to order the Element 90 and called our sales rep. Before I placed the order I asked him to confirm the price and he was very surprised they were priced the same. His book said the same thing so he checked the US dealer Ambassador program and there was a fairly significant price difference between the 70 and 90. Canadian dealers have since received updated pricing for the Ambassador program and the 90 is quite a bit more expensive than the 70. Don't have the exact amount here with me but it was at least $500 more.
    I assumed you were in Canada for this post since that is where Rocky had a price mix up that I was aware of.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check with my dealer on Monday. If they won't honour the initial price I'll either get the 70, or a Devinci Moonracer...

Which is of course ridiculous since the cdn dollar has been gaining on the US dollar all year, and is now worth more, yet I'm sure the US retail prices will continue to be lower.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Which is of course ridiculous since the cdn dollar has been gaining on the US dollar all year, and is now worth more, yet I'm sure the US retail prices will continue to be lower.
    Economics 200 - in the short run, prices are sticky.

ups and downs
    Especially in Canada where Shimano and most component prices are still 30-50% higher than in the US. The middleman distributors won't be reducing prices 'til their inventory they bought with the 75 cent dollar a year ago is completely flushed through the sales system, followed by the stuff they bought 6 months ago at a 90 cent dollar.

Most companies that trade internationally buy US dollars in advance based on their anticipated purchasing needs and bank them when the exchange looks good so they are protected when it shifts the other way. Even the economists were not convinced that the Loonie would reach par in 2007, if ever. If the distributors and bike manufacturers have a big inventory of US dollars bought at 80-90 cents, it'l be biting them now. When you consider how many parts on a bike are bought in US dollars, that has a big impact on the pricing hysteresis.

More than a little frustrating that just as it gets affordable to buy across the border, several manufacturers clamped down on US retailers shipping to Canada, Manitou and Fox to name a couple. If the Canadian distribution weren't skimming such a high margin it wouldn't be as bad, but the prices are 30-40% higher at the wholesale level for the Canadian stores/bike manufacturers (or assemblers).

Not to mention the car makers... 40-50% price difference between canada and the usa, a lot of the time on cars MADE here. There's a class action lawsuit that was just launched charging conspiracy and collusion by the nations leading car brands of gouging and unfair business practices against the canadian consumers.

The funny part to the high dollar is though that the pump price of gasoline has dropped so much the past 6 months in canada. In ottawa we had 90 cents/L just before the long weekend (its thanksgiving here tommorow). Gasoline is one of those commodities where the advance purchase time on stocks is ONE month, so currency changes are noticed in the prices much quicker. Canada's a net oil exporter and we're basically self sufficient in refinery capacity, so even though the world oil prices are around $81US a barrel, that's actually a bit less than $80cdn right now. Compared to the immediate post-katrina era where oil was around $66US/barrel and gas prices were 40% higher because of all the US refineries which went offline during and after the hurricane. After years of consumers complaining the oil companies were gouging us (they largely ignored the fact that compared to the usa, our governments tax gasoline and diesel fuel higher) there's been nary a peep about it all summer or fall.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Does anyone know where you can buy an Element frame only in the US and have it shipped to Canada. Was thinking of doing a FS winter project. Looked at at a Racer X frame in Canada, the dealer wants $2200.00 plus 6% tax. I can order it from the US for $1395.00 plus shipping. Curious about the Element instead. Would love to support my LBS, but the prices are crazy up here on certain things. Always loved the Element.

There's an Element Tribal on ebay canada.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Rocky-Mountain-El...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller is a bike store in hull, quebec (Bicylette du Hull) and has been putting frames/forks up on ebay for awhile now. If it was a 20" I might have gotten it for myself, for the same "winter project" idea even though I don';t really like the element, the paint is nice on it and I could easily sell it later.

What size do you need anyways and are you open to other than an element ? A local is selling a 19" ETSX-70 for I think $675 (he bought an Ellsworth Moment instead, not sure why though as that's like downgrading to me, not upgrading). Its available for viewing/info by contacting PhatMooseCycles in ottawa.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Interesting... why don't you like the Element? I'm looking for a 19-20" myself as I'm 6'1. I've always liked the look of the ETSX, but never ridden one. I'm on an older Superlight with nice upgrades. I need something good for climbing as I'm in the Calgary/Banff/Canmore area (Rockies). That's why I thought a Racer-X or Element might be good, you know short travel front, light weight. I'd like to be around 22-24 lbs. Is that possible on an ETSX, I know the T.O. is pretty high-end. Do you know the color of the ETSX?

ups and downs
    That's prime ETSX territory. I've owned both types of bikes (2000 Instinct version of the Element and an ETSX) and the ETSX is better as an all around epic ride bike typical of what you'd want for those 4 hour Kananaskis loops. I've been riding an ETSX since the fall of 2003 since replaced my Instinct. I rode a 2007 Element from Rocky's demo fleet on some of the XC trails around Mont Sainte Anne in June and found it quite firm, it's really is well suited to XC racing, but it isn't that plush for a 4" travel bike.

The ETSX works very nicely on technical uphill surfaces, it keeps the rear wheel planted really well and there is no pedal kickback on big G outs. And for those downhill trails, being able to get the fork out to 140mm is nice. It also has a higher BB for better pedal and chainring clearance.

You can get a 19" ETSX down to 26-26.5 pounds with some money thrown at it. It's about 2 pounds heavier than an Element because of the frame and TALAS fork, but it's the best extra 2 pounds you'll carry around on an FS bike in that part of the world. You definitely want to test ride an ETSX before laying down some bucks on a FS frame.

Because the element is just another single-pivot-linkage bike with a low pivot location that's so close to a host of other brands with SPL (Kona, Jamis, Diamondback, etc) that the only real reason to by an element is patriotic or the paint job. Its not going to be anymore durable than a Kona or Jamis, its not gonna be any lighter really, its not going to pedal/brake any differently really and its definitely going to be more expensive. Also and this is more to do with my being 6'6", I'm tired of rocky's rather short toptube lengths (compared to many other brands today) which leave me stuck using 130-150mm stems still when building one up for myself.

Anyways if that used etsx interests you, contact phatmoosecycles.com (613-231-2427), it includes a raceface seatpost with it as I recall and its the 2007 model.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

So they did feck up the price, $540 north of what was in the book. Thus I've gone from a 90 to 70. Major loss being the Crossmax SL wheels and the sweet black and white paint (I'm shallow ). I am happy to be back with Shimano shifting, and staying with tubes will mean I can use my existing stock of race tires without thinking I'm wasting my expensive UST wheels. Should still be sweet, can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

So they did feck up the price, $540 north of what was in the book. Thus I've gone from a 90 to 70. Major loss being the Crossmax SL wheels and the sweet black and white paint (I'm shallow ). I am happy to be back with Shimano shifting, and staying with tubes will mean I can use my existing stock of race tires without thinking I'm wasting my expensive UST wheels. Should still be sweet, can't wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah it really sucks about that price mix up. Once I got the correct price for the Element 90 I decided to go with the Norco Faze 1 instead. Pretty similar in price but I like the spec on the Norco a bit more and Horst Link 4 bar suspension. The Element is definitely fast though, I demo'd an Element 70 at Bromont and it rips.