Huckin' trails

2006 Slayer 30 @ $2 000 ??

I am missing anything here or is this still way overpriced for a new 2006 Slayer 30 that has been sitting in the showroom for almost 6 years ? Original price was $2 878.99 plus tax, so $3 250.979 grand total. Now it's at $2 000 plus tax... And very dusty lol.

It's an 18" frame, weights in at 34.58 pounds, which is kinda heavy, but it's probably due to the heavy linkage and the good ol' Marzocchi Drop Off III fork.

I'm currently looking to either get a full new bike or swap my frame and was wondering if I would de better with a 2011 Slayer with the new linkage (rocker link) or even a Altitude frame instead of a 2010 Slayer frame or this old 2006.

I guess for a 2006, they should have dropped the price way down, like at least around $1 500, no ?

I could get a 2010 Slayer SXC 70 frame with Fox DHX 5 air for $750 shipped or maybe a used 2008 SXC 70 for $350. Both have the LC2R linkage and carbon seat stay. So I could then have a nice Slayer for less then $1 500 if I swap frames and parts (cost of new frame plus cost of present bike).

But do the new linkage really get a difference in ride and most important, in weight ?

My present freeride use a single pivot swing arm and I can say I have more then enough pedal bob when pedaling this beast. I also have (my brother have) a 2000 GT XCR with the i-Drive and it feels kinda plush, but good tracking over small bumps and roots when climbing, feel a bit too plush on flats however. Then I also have a basic 4-bar linkage (rocker link) bike and it feels really stiff on flats (which is nice), but also a bit too stiff on climbs while going over roots and small bumps, but is quite ok for going down. Btw, the swing arm also get me a good tracking when climbing.

So I kind of really hesitate between either a LC2R (swing arm) linkage, a 4-bar linkage (rocker link) and a new i-Drive form GT, their now Independent Suspension.

I'll say most of my saddle time is commute, so I get about only 30% of off-road and it's mostly trails and involves street riding to the trails and quite a bit of climbing, but very nice descents too. I really like to blast off any descent I go, so that's why I like a big bike, but I also want to enjoy climbing a bit more too and also good rolling on flats.

I feel like the LC2R will haul my ass like a god on descent, but will get me less pleasures on climbs then a i-Drive and on flats then a 4-bars.

Then I feel like the i-Drive will make rear wheel tracking a dream on climbs, but will suck power on flats and will be a bit slow on descents.

And finally, I really don't know if the 4-bars linkage will give me a super ride going up and down, but will make it a dreams on flats and pavements.

Then it comes to weight, availability and cost.

Anyone had good/bad experiences to share about the 3 types of suspension design for having testing them enough ? Will be appreciate. I'm not anal on 1 pound more, but 2-3 pounds more on the frame is quite a bit. Considering it will be almost a life-time buy, I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

ups and downs
    That would be a lot of money for a NOS 2006 Slayer 30. A 2006 Slayer 30 was only $2999 retail, so offer them $1000.

If you want to ride up hill too then just go straight for a 2011 Slayer.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    That would be a lot of money for a NOS 2006 Slayer 30. A 2006 Slayer 30 was only $2999 retail, so offer them $1000.

If you want to ride up hill too then just go straight for a 2011 Slayer.
    Not even to consider an Altitude then ? And are generally Altitude and Slayer around the same price ?

But then that 2006 Slayer would be kinda out of the list, no ? Or maybe part it out

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Here's the pics I got at the LBS.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0368.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0369.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0370.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0371.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0372.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0374.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0378.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0383.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0384.jpg  

2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0385.jpg  

Huckin' trails
    And the current price tag for a 2006 NOS Slayer 30 with a lot of dust :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006 Slayer 30 @  000 ??-img_0373.jpg  

Huckin' trails
    They accepted to let me test ride it whenever I will be ready. Do you think it's worth it for at least get a general feeling or I'll just waste both my and their time ? And you really think I should buy it if they accept a $1 000 offer instead of spending much more for a 2011 ?

David

ups and downs
    The new Slayer is like a combo of the Altitude and the old Slayer, goes down hill like a freeride bike and climbs like an Altitude. Waaaaay better than the 2006 Slayer, even the Slayer SXC was waaaay better than the Slayer for climbing and pedaling. It took one ride on a Slayer SXC to convince me to sell my 2006 Slayer and buy an SXC instead. The new Slayer is almost that much better again in climbing ability.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The new Slayer is like a combo of the Altitude and the old Slayer, goes down hill like a freeride bike and climbs like an Altitude. Waaaaay better than the 2006 Slayer, even the Slayer SXC was waaaay better than the Slayer for climbing and pedaling. It took one ride on a Slayer SXC to convince me to sell my 2006 Slayer and buy an SXC instead. The new Slayer is almost that much better again in climbing ability.
    Alright, that close the deal on a 2011 Slayer frame. Now I gotta decide if I get the black or grey one...

For 2011 I think there is black, white and then red ? Then for 2012 it's ano black, red and then grey.

Any know issues with rear carbon stay ? I never had any carbon part (except headset spacers), so I'm not much familiar with the integrity of the structure under surface damage. I guess if it still looks strong, it's ok to ride ? Kinda metal too. And did you notice a difference in stiffness with carbon stay ?

Thanks,

David

Huckin' trails
    Well I'm gonna go test ride it tomorrow. Maybe I'll get hooked or not. And it's kinda a bit wet tonight, so at least I won't have to mud up my own bike tomorrow

I don't know if the shop owner is aware that this Salyer is a 2006, since he didn't know which year it was exactly and guess it as being a 2008... Maybe then I could work the price, idk. I'm also planning to buy a few items from him tomorrow, so at least it won't look like I'm having a free ride on him

David

Huckin' trails
    See follow up of the tread/demo here :

I need a Slayer

David

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Any know issues with rear carbon stay ? I never had any carbon part (except headset spacers), so I'm not much familiar with the integrity of the structure under surface damage. I guess if it still looks strong, it's ok to ride ? Kinda metal too. And did you notice a difference in stiffness with carbon stay ?

Thanks,

David
    The rear carbon stays stopped with the SXC. The 2011 Slayer is all aluminum.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by powriderkevin View Post
    The rear carbon stays stopped with the SXC. The 2011 Slayer is all aluminum.
    Thanks, I've noticed it. Was a great bling add-on though.

David