mtbr member
    Feb 2008

14 Ralley Edition carbon - hows she climb? Can it be a 1 bike quiver?

Not an Enduro racer or competitor - and have some gnarly trails but regardless, have to climb -

would this make a good 1 bike in the quiver ride? Or - something like the new thunderbolt?

again, 75% of riding in CO front range - w trips to mts, moab, fruita a couple times and other mt trails - but we all know its a lot of variety - likley wont ride any lift parks

thanks

PS - Have 13 Kona Satori - 29er w 130rr/140frt

want lighter and bit more playful if possible even tho the Satori is a fair good ripper

ups and downs
    The Altitude Rally Edition would be just the ticket for a good all-round trail bike. They have become really popular on the North Shore here in BC. The Ride9 suspension adjustment gives you a lot of flexibility in the setup, like having an XC and AM bike with a touch of DH depending how you set it up. Once you have a bit of practice with adjusting the Ride9 you can change the bike setup in 15 minutes.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Appreciate that feedback - it sounds like the riders who have the altitude and dial in the ride9 for their specific style really do like this bike a lot!

the rear sus is "similar" to my Satori - which I've frankly become quite fond of and like to leave it active in descend mode esepcially for technical ascents and rocky descents - I suspect the Alti would ride similar in that regard - but with more squish be more plush on the rocky/tech downs?

mtbr member

RE: 14 Ralley Edition carbon - hows she climb? Can it be a 1 bike quiver?

Keep in mind the Rally ed has one chain-ring upfront, which can be limiting for most riders.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

ups and downs
    Yeah a 34:36 ratio is pretty steep for steep climbs. The Turbine cranks can't easily go smaller than a 32T chainring. A set of Next SL cranks with a 28T or 30T chainring would be less punishing.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Appreciate your feedback - as being a 1x10 vs 1x11 with the kind of gear ratio I'd need - this too was a "concern" yet not so much as I'd already purchased the first run of the new Wolftootth 42t GC for the rear and a 30t n/w front - regardless of this bike, my current or another direction. When I was looking at the rally edition - we looked at all the specific components especially the drivetrain and gearing... i believe the wolftooth 30t will work on this one - and w the 42t rear even my old 46 yr walk about sticks should be able to climb even our steep's and techs... I hope! If i pull trigger - and need a diff crank - the lbs will accommodate the change nicely.

wheelie king
    With your gearing changes in mind, I would say go with the Altitude over the Thunderbolt. See my comments in the "Thunderbolts are arriving" thread.