mtbr member
    Mar 2004

'13 Altitude sizing?

Looking for some input on sizing for the new '13 Altitudes.

5'11" w/33" inseam.

Been riding the Element 970in the LG/18.5 size with zero offset seatpost and a 90mm stem. In comparing #s of the Altitude it is looking like I wish they made a MD/LG. Bike will be used predominantly for Epic XC trail rides, no hucking or anything.

Thoughts? Do I go for MD or LG? Nothing available yet locally for Demo

ups and downs
    The Large Altitude has the same HTT length as the Large Element 970, the geometry should be very close. The Large Altitude seat tube is 13mm taller than the Element but that's only going to affect how much seat post is exposed. Are you running a dropper post on the Element 970?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I am also 5'11" and I am currently riding a medium Altitude (18") with 16mm set back seat post and 90mm stem. BTW...the hardtail Altitude in the 18.5" size was a perfect fit for me. But based on my riding style I decided to go a bit smaller than larger.

For the new medium Altitude, I plan on running a 70mm stem. The HTT is 10mm longer on the new medium Altitude, so to "even" things out I am also going to use handlebars with less of a sweep to get the extra 10mm back.

If you are currently on a large Element 970 with a 90mm stem and feel good, I would guess that a large Altitude would probably be better for you, considering you will probably want to run a stem in the 50mm - 70mm range.