mtbr member
    Apr 2012

'12 Element 950 Tubeless ??

Just got a Element 950, it has the original wheelset/tires......that is the Wheeltech hubs with DT Swiss 485D rims and Maxxis Ikon-Ardent tires.

What do I need to do to set them up Tubeless??

I have a set of Stans universal stems and plenty of sealant...will these stems work with these rims ?
    Are the wheels already taped or do I need something else?
    Thanks in advance.

Bill J.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No, you will need to add a layer of velox tape to build it up a bit, then the stans strips with stems, then the sealent. If you don't build it up the tires will fit really loose. The stems on their own will not work from my experience.

mtbr member
    I had a major blowout after having my bike shop convert my stock 950 tires to tubeless. I know it says they're tubeless compatable, but a thicker side wall like a Geax Suguaro is a better bet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Like I said, you need to layer the rim to avoid this. But maybe the dt tubeless kit works better. Trek, your bikeshop screwed it up. I have been running the stock tires no problem, though they will get replaced soon because they have no sidewall protection. The Icon Exo would be a better alternative if you ride in rocky terrain. If not, the stock tires should work fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys...you both have my attention so I will be certain to do this correctly. I also found on old post where there was discussion on the DT Swiss rims and the need to be sure to use the right Stans kit and their process to get everything to stay sealed.
    Yesterday I ordered the Stan's XC kit (which was formerly called the "plus' kit) and watched their video so now I know exactly what you are saying Phatass. When I get everything done and ridden I will give an update.

Thanks again to both of you, without your info I would have just stuck in a valve and some sealant,, which worked great on my Epic's Rovals, but surely would have bit me in the butt on these 485 D's.

Bill J.

mtbr member
    I can confirm the Stans kit works on these rims. Yellow tape, sealant, and tubeless valves alone are not enough, even if you use a compressor and hence feel they don't meet the practical definition of 'tubeless ready'.
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    My shop used some Orange stuff they said was better than Stans.

Just whatever you do, be sure to test out that they seal first 1) with your helmet on 2) on some safe ground. Maybe do a few bunny hops going really slow.

For some reason, being a dumbass, I went full speed down the road in front of my house without a helmet on and did a bunny hop over a manhole cover and when I landed the front tire literally blew off of the rim and I nailed my head pretty hard. I was really lucky and some big lessons learned.

Just be careful when testing your seal and once sealed well you'll be good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks TrehStang...I've been down that road too. I've learned too many things the hard way in MotoX and on atv's to ever get on anything that moves without a helmet....ever. Now days, I be the guy on the merry-go round wearing his 'full face' all painted up real nice by TroyLee!

Older & Slower
    I have a 950 and the shop converted it to tubeless before I took delivery. All you need is some Stan's yellow tape and sealant. The stock maxxis tires are not tubeless ready, but they work. Use plenty of Stan's...29er tires need plenty and you may lose some while trying to inflate. My trails are mellow and fairly thorn free...so they work fine. If you ride tough trails, you might experience issues. I quickly replaced the stock wheels with a custom wtb frequency i23 rims laced to e.13 trs hubs...love the rims...not so much with the rear hub. The wtb rims have a square shaped bead hook that mates well with tubeless ready tires with a matching square bead. It's ust tubeless without the excessive weight...very tight and reliable fit that will serve you well in the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks again everyone.

Here is a final follow up report on how I ultimately did the conversion to tubeless and the results.

I went with the complete Stan's CX Kit. Again I had the stock Element 950 wheels and tires.....that is Wheeltech hubs with DT Swiss 485D rims and Maxxis Ikon front tire and Maxxis Aspen rear tire.

I did one layer of their yellow tape and then installed their rim strip. Ultimately I could/should have use two layers of the yellow to build up the center of the rim a bit more so the rim strip would run even further under the rim's lip. Regardless, once installed I use a compressor to air up the tires and seat the beads well. FWIW I could never had beaded this combination of tire - rim with a floor pump like I have easily done with other combinations of tires-rims.

I had no problem with the Ikon tire as it took air and beaded up fast. The Aspen was much more difficult to get seated and take air. The Aepen acted like its bead's circumference was too large for the rim. I'm sure it wasn't, but it did seen that way. With much fussing with trying to press the tire to the rim in multiple place while blowing in larger volumes of air it finally sealed up. I then used 2 and 1/2 ounces of sealant per wheel and had all the air leaks sealed with one or two rotations of shaking each wheel.
    For the kind of places I ride I wanted to be extra sure that burping would never be an issue. To than end I tried multiple times to roll the tire off the bead even a little at low air pressure. (24 pounds) and was unable to burp it even a little.
    I now have over 50 miles of riding time on the set since the conversion and they have been flawless despite a handsome array of goathead thorns embedded through out their treads.

If I had to do it over again...I would do everything the same for this tire wheel combination. YRMV.

Bill J
    Last edited by specbill; 12-23-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Holy Crap! Use a tube... Or, sell the wheels for $150 and put it towards a set of Stans!!!
    Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Mine set up really easy. The rear (Maxxis Aspen) is just Gorilla tape and sealant. The Front (Ikon) is Stan's tape and sealant. Couldn't get it to stay for more than a few days with the Ikon, but all is well now.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod