Thread: 07 Vertex 10

mtbr member
    May 2009

07 Vertex 10

Well, I picked up a new 2007 vertex 10 yesterday morning for a good price. I haven't rode a bike for 2 years now. Took it camping with me yesterday and logged a whole 5 kilometers on it (wireless computer), down dirt and gravel paths, through some bush with a couple good hills. So far so good. Almost. The gears were already being supercycle-like. We come back to town this morning and I took it to my lbs for a quick tune of the gears, and to look at some seats or gel covers for the seat. My ass is sore, it has been 2 years. They said to give the seat a chance, that it should be good, it is just me. Okay, will do. Shortly after I left the bike shop to ride down nice smooth paved trails today(while sitting even less than yesterday...), the gears are still not shifting properly. It is a new younger guy doing the tune-ups now, the very experienced guy that worked there 2 years ago is now gone. He had the cheaper alivio setup on my last bike much better than this deore and deore xt. I don't think this should be the case, and I will have to keep going back until they get it right. Such a pain. I read the marzocchi manual for the mx pro forks, and it is about as clear as fog. I assume the recommended setting for air pressure is for total pressure, (half of that pressure in each leg), because it seems okay so far at 25 psi in each leg. I am 165lbs. There is a rebound adjustment on the bottom of the right fork leg, which the manual says nothing about for the mx pro model. I don't think I would get much help for pressures at the lbs, the new sales guy said before I bought the bike that he had his fork set at 140 psi. If you tried that with these forks I think you'd blow the seals out of them. In fact, the manual recommends 35-45 psi for my weight. Both legs are for positive air pressure on the regular mx pro. I think. The manual covers and groups 5 or 6 different models together and you have to try to decipher it. My lbs used to be a quality, knowledgeable shop. Now with the new maintenance guy and new sales guy, I kind of already regret buying my new bike there. Any tips or suggestions for this bike would be appreciated.

ups and downs
    So the rear derailleur is ghost shifting? Does it shift to larger gears or smaller gears? When the rear derailleur is on the smallest 11T cog, is there any slack in the rear shift cable? I'd lay odds that the H/L limit screws aren't set quite right and as a result they haven't got the right starting point for the indexing. Also eyeball the derailleur hanger and derailleur to make sure they weren't bent at some point in shipping the bike.

Marzocchi manuals are the most incomprehensible things on the planet, I have no idea if they make more sense in Italian. The 2007 PDF manual mentions the MX Pro adjustments on page 63, positive air x2 and the Rebound Valve on the RH leg. The positive pressure would be in each leg with a valve, it looks like they're recommending 42psi per leg for a 75kg rider.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the reply and tip for the forks. It isn't ghostshifting, it is just making that nice crunchy sound like it's between gears. The source is from the front derailleur(I'm sure I spelled it wrong), I think. It's mostly in the middle gear on the front (number 2 of 3). As you can tell, I don't know a lot about bikes yet, but hope to get up to speed quickly. Any advice is much appreciated. I'll be taking it back next weekend for another tune. Free tune-ups for a year, so maybe they'll get sick of seeing me and fix it properly.