mtbr member
    Mar 2005

will a Ritchey Logic and an Aheadset have compatible crown races??

Does anyone know if I can use my current Aheadset's crown race with a Ritchey Logic's crown race? They look similar but I wanted to see if anyone knew for certain?? They're both 11/8" threadless HS.

Thanks!
    Andrew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Most likely not....

crown races are usually specific to a given headset and manufacturer. There are very few that are cross compatable like that. All crown races "look similar" but there are variables that have to be taken into account. Differen bearing configurations and types, seal systems, cup diameters, etc., all make for different crown race designs. You can try it, but it is highly unlikely they'll be compatable. Most Ritcheys are cartidge bearings and most Aheads are loose ball designs. Even if they are both cartidge or loose ball it's unlikely they'll play well together. As a minimum you'll likely have fit issues, worst case you'll have binding and possible bearing damage.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    crown races are usually specific to a given headset and manufacturer. There are very few that are cross compatable like that. All crown races "look similar" but there are variables that have to be taken into account. Differen bearing configurations and types, seal systems, cup diameters, etc., all make for different crown race designs. You can try it, but it is highly unlikely they'll be compatable. Most Ritcheys are cartidge bearings and most Aheads are loose ball designs. Even if they are both cartidge or loose ball it's unlikely they'll play well together. As a minimum you'll likely have fit issues, worst case you'll have binding and possible bearing damage.

Good Dirt

My findings exactly. They were both loose bearing designs but they were out my maybe 2mm so they didn't track properly. I never rode the new fork loaded with the wrong crown race I just had it in the stand... click... click... click... No workie. I ended up swapping races and it's absolutely perfect now. There's something to be said about taking time to do it properly.

Thanks and take care,
    Andrew.