Uit Nederland

Wheelset help. Hope Pro 2, Syncros AM DP25

First off, thanks for clicking in.
    I just finished building my Santa Cruz Chameleon, it's an awesome ride, built up all-mountain/XC style. There are a few things that still need to be changed to say its "really" done, the stage its now in you could call "rideable" If it already feels good now, I cant wait until its built up exactly how I want it. Well then, one of those last major things is a new wheelset. My first real mountain bike was a fuji outland, hence my profile name. That bike came with an Alexrims wheelset mated with Fuji branded hubs. I regret to inform you that those are the very same hubs I'm using on my Chameleon. The bike is built up strong, but has a weak wheelset. I've also never built my own wheelset, so that's also an issue. But now down to business. I want to get a new wheelset and was considering building my own. I like the Hope Pro 2 hubs because of the front wheels ability to convert to 20 MM thru axle. I think that would come in handy for future bikes, just being able to use my old wheelset. So then I'd like to mate those Hope Pro 2 hubs to Syncros AM DP25 rims, they seem tough wide and fast. Quick side question, with a 25mm rim width, how wide of a tire could you run? But anyways, that's the combo I was thinking of, anyone have any comments, tips, recommendations? How hard is it to build a wheelset? What problems would I run into? I think the wheelset would look sweet with the red hubs, white rims, white spokes, and red nipples.

Thanks for your time.

Uit Nederland
    Getting the hubs for about $250 for the set, then the rims for about $80 a set, and im not sure which spokes to use and how much they'd be. Thanks again.Trying to stay under $400.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Chainreactioncycles has smokin deals on Hope wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm pretty sure the DP25 width of 25mm is the external width of the rim, which would make the internal width of around 18mm, which is not all that wide. Chain Reaction has good prices for Hope wheels and I would save the hassle of trying build your wheels and just get them there. I just ordered a set with Hope hubs and Sun Equalizer 27 rims for $415. You can't get a set with DT Swiss 5.1D rims for about $455.