Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Very Early Ritchey..The Next Project!

Here is a super early Ritchey frame that I am going to build up. I don't want to remove the paint or original stickers. This is probably from the time when Ritchey was building for Fisher since it has the Fisher sealed bearing BB. Definitely a Ritchey though since it has an early serial number of Tom's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2008
    By the way, You can really see how Tom's grinding improved over the years when you look at this frame and compare it to ones from the mid 80's.

mtbr member
    Very nice frame.

Does this Ritchey and the Mountain Goat Deluxe both fit you?!?

VRC Hound
    that one isn't that old since it has later details like the seat collar, tapered chainstays and the unicrown fork.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I'd guess an '84. Cool looking bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

VRC Hound
    It's the Ritchey that just came through Ebay with surprisingly little interest if I'm correct. Very nice looking.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep. Times are hard out there at $4.00 per gallon!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, but the stays are huge and the BB is of that Fisher era. Probably 83-84.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nope. I am in the middle between them. I am just saving a few of the old frames for posterity. Kind of like old Christmas ornaments in my garage!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The other thing about this frame is the non slotted cable stops (other than the top tube) and the non Ritchey "USA" decals. There also was no "Handmade" decal. The brake studs are also early...before he used standard Shimano ones.

mtbr member
    whats the serial number? For the most part, once the unicrown fork came out Gary Fisher and Tom and gone seperate ways. Probably an 84-85 Timber Wolf. The serial number will help. Should start with "1B" or maybe "2B".
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 05-17-2008 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    1B177 is the serial number.

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet Brazed Forever
    1B177 is the serial number.
    not that i know anything about old Ritcheys but according to http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/bikes/ that makes it a 21" 85 Timber Wolf, right?

Carsten

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten
    not that i know anything about old Ritcheys but according to http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/bikes/ that makes it a 21" 85 Timber Wolf, right?

Carsten

yeah, I glanced at that too, It looks like maybe the Timber Comps and the Timber Wolfs have their own number sequence. Some Timber Comps had very close numbers to FBF's and they were 87ish and some Timber Wolfs with close numbers that looked earlier.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Ritchey up and running.

Well at least she is up and running. I will be swappiong out some parts like the pedals, and stem later as I get period replacements. The ride quality is great! Now if I could only get those Maguras to stop rattling!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I can tell you from my experience with Ritcheys, that this is on the earlier side. This was made before Tom really started to have a supply of frame materials that kept his construction consistent. This frame is so much different from the 85 I have.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    From what I figure out, it looks like this is an "85 Timber Comp 21".

the new Gilbert Grape
    I can tell you from my experience with Ritcheys, that this is on the earlier side. This was made before Tom really started to have a supply of frame materials that kept his construction consistent. This frame is so much different from the 85 I have.
    Which other '85 do you have?

The color of this one makes me say '84, but the serial number looks to be a little later ('85ish). I think that Tom's work was always consistently high. Frame details varried more on the early frame (79-83), but were still consistently built.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member

I assume the 85 youre talking about is your Team Comp? If so, thats because your Team Comp is a "C" frame and much nicer. This one is a "B" frame. Less expensive and not as nicely finished.

The early frames had different details than either your Team Comp or this one here.

mtbr member
    From what I figure out, it looks like this is an "85 Timber Comp 21".

It would technically be a Timber Wolf since the Timber Comp had roller cam bosses. They had different builds too, with the Comp having a lighter, more racier build.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I guess I am just comparing the finish quality to my Team Comp which is in a whole other league. I am seeing others listed with similar details like the non slotted cable stops and BB, so I think it is correct to say 84-85 on this one.

mtbr member
    I guess I am just comparing the finish quality to my Team Comp which is in a whole other league. I am seeing others listed with similar details like the non slotted cable stops and BB, so I think it is correct to say 84-85 on this one.

yeah, if you see a unicrown fork its '84 or newer. the tapered stays happened about then too.

Certified Bike Junkie

Well apparently someones abandoned project...

becomes my new project. Got the frame and fork a couple weeks ago. This is what I have so far. I'm kicking myself now for selling the Magura levers and 600ex headset that I had a couple months ago. Plans are for mostly m700. Paint wasn't quite as nice as I was hoping, and the driveside chainstay looks like it was repainted. So, this might be a candidate for a repaint.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

VRC Hound
    I'd leave the pain as is. The old decals are boss and the light paint wear that there is gives patina and will let you enjoy using slightly used parts. Can't want to see it come together!

Certified Bike Junkie
    Yeah, I've always been a follower of the axiom: "You can repaint it a hundred times but its only original once." This will be my first pre-index shifting build so it s a little different from what I'm used to. But it should be fun.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast