mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Thomson Masterpiece vs. Ritchey WCS Carbon

I posted this in the General forum and got an overwhelming "Thomson", so what do you think...

Is Thomson seatpost worth the add'l 35 grams over Ritchey Carbon Zero Offset?
    Ritchey's 1-bolt mounting (in my experience) tends to rock the fore/aft if not tighten, BUT it's carbon to there is a torque limit...so I'm leaning towards Thomson, BUT also trying to be a WW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine14
    I posted this in the General forum and got an overwhelming "Thomson", so what do you think...

Ritchey's 1-bolt mounting (in my experience) tends to rock the fore/aft if not tighten, BUT it's carbon to there is a torque limit...so I'm leaning towards Thomson, BUT also trying to be a WW.

I've used both. The Thomson you install and forget --will never fail, the seat will never shift. The Ritchey is lighter but the seat did slip twice on me on my full suspension bike. It seems to have settled in but I torqued the hell out of it. Neither slipped into the seat tube for me, ever.

Thomson is the one you want unless you must! have! carbon!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine14

DEFINATELY go with the Masterpiece, it's indestructable. I've had carbon seatposts and had nothing but problems with them.

Save some grams by measuring the minimum depth the Masterpiece has to sink into the frame and then cut off the rest. Saved me at least 15 grams!

You can also lighten up the Masterpiece with a lighter top clamp....if you're a TRUE weenie!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    one thing not mentioned here is the fact that an aluminum post will have a much rougher ride than a carbon one. im making that statement from personal experience. thomson products are A1 quality, but all they do is aluminum, so that may be a concern.

i now have a ritchey superlogic 1 bolt, it works flawlessly
    Last edited by racerick; 04-29-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    Racerick
    "The older I get, the faster I was"

mtbr member
    I had a Ritchey one bolt post on my road bike and hated it. I would buy the Masterpiece or maybe have a look at the carbon post from Syntace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by racerick
    one thing not mentioned here is the fact that an aluminum post will have a much rougher ride than a carbon one. im making that statement from personal experience. thomson products are A1 quality, but all they do is aluminum, so that may be a concern.

i now have a ritchey superlogic 1 bolt, it works flawlessly
    Plus Thomson are made very slightly undersize (deliberately). With my 575 I had to ditch the QR seatpin as the seat would continually slip
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I love Thomson.. What size are u looking at?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    27.2 x 330 (or 350 for Ritchey)

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Thomson for sure.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thomson.

ritchey clamp sucks big fat hairy elephant balls.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Thomson on both of my bikes. Masterpiece. Holds great, never slipped on my 05 Titus Switchblade, and has never slipped on my Ibis Mojo SL. Also, the Thomson Clamp is perfect for my carbon railed saddle. As far as seat post go, I'll only buy Thomson. Excellent quality.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    Plus Thomson are made very slightly undersize (deliberately). With my 575 I had to ditch the QR seatpin as the seat would continually slip
    I've never seen that written on the Thomson site - are you really sure this is true? Perhaps the 575 frame was reamed out too much?

I've had various frames and Thomson seatposts - never had one slip.

metrotuned WoS
    Thomson Masterpiece. USA made, highest quality, strongest on the market.

Ritchey. Fakes flooding the market. Dated design (mounting), questionable quality and strength.

OP, you continue to ask the question, why? If you must have carbon, no need to ask the question, just go for carbon.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout