the new Gilbert Grape

Tange Prestige vs. Ritchey Tubing

From '93 ot '94 Bridgestone switched from "Ritchey Logic Prestige" tubing to "Tange Prestige" tubing on the MB-1. I assume that Ritchey sub-contracted their tubing from Tange. Does anyone know if these tube sets are different? or are they different names for the same tubeset?

mtbr member
    My old Breezer, '93ish, has a sticker that says something along the lines of:

Ritchey Logic,
    custom drawn by Tange.
    I think it metions prestige specifically.

I would check it tonight but it is on long term loan to a friend. That Jeroen guy has a similar era breezer so he should know. The best I ever heard was that it was the same alloy but Ritchey had specific butting and diameters so the Ritchey tubeset was Tange steel but drawn to Ritchey specs.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    My old Breezer, '93ish, has a sticker that says something along the lines of:

Ritchey Logic,
    custom drawn by Tange.
    I think it metions prestige specifically.

I would check it tonight but it is on long term loan to a friend. That Jeroen guy has a similar era breezer so he should know. The best I ever heard was that it was the same alloy but Ritchey had specific butting and diameters so the Ritchey tubeset was Tange steel but drawn to Ritchey specs.

A guy is selling a '94 MB-1 that I might be interested in. I know of the component changes between the years, but I'm interested in any frame differences. I actually prefer the '94 paint job, but want to know that it's the same frame as '93.

The Ritchey specific butts would make sense.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    A guy is selling a '94 MB-1 that I might be interested in. I know of the component changes between the years, but I'm interested in any frame differences. I actually prefer the '94 paint job, but want to know that it's the same frame as '93.

The Ritchey specific butts would make sense.
    Logic tubing was, indeed, Tange Prestige tubing with butts custom spec'd by Ritchey. The 94 frame is still a great frame.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    From '93 ot '94 Bridgestone switched from "Ritchey Logic Prestige" tubing to "Tange Prestige" tubing on the MB-1. I assume that Ritchey sub-contracted their tubing from Tange. Does anyone know if these tube sets are different? or are they different names for the same tubeset?
    Very similar tubing. The idea behind the Logic tubing was that the the thicker ends were shorter so that the there was more of the thinner middle section making the tubing lighter. Both were thinwall - for their time - and heat treated.

Remember the Ibis MORON tubing? More on the end.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Ritchey's butts are a bit shorter as far as I know. It's basically just what others here say, that it's Ritchey-spec'd Prestige. Nothing more and nothing less
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!