Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

Syncros and Ritchey stem questions...

So I picked up two Ritchey Force 1" quill stems and a Syncros 1" quill stem this week.

One silver and one black Ritchey. The silver one says "Ritchey Force" on the front and "Nitto, Japan" with dimensions etc on the quill but the only marking on the black one is "Ritchey Force" on the front and "Cro-Mo" on the Quill. I'm guessing the black one is older? Any estimates on vintage?

The Syncros is also black. Not great paint, the decals are rough but a good stem anyway. My question is...on the back of the Syncros is a "Hammer n Cycles" decal. Is this a decal of significance and if so why? Should I repaint it or leave the "patina"? Any guess on the vintage?

Sorry for the blurry pic but I think you guys will see through that..and thanx as usual guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

mtbr member
    That Hammer and Cycle decal is original, and on all their stems. I'd leave it for sure.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yeah that's the syncros logo. All their stems had those stickers.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/syncros.html
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm too ignorant to be able to help, but this late model shows a difference in style - maybe just because yours is one inch and this is 1 1/8, or does it indicate yours is a much older stem?

VRC Hound
    Stan's is older with the 4mm pinch bolts and no hole cut out of the clamp. At least I recall them being 4mm, I could be wrong. Definitely an older stem though

csp
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did Syncros make a Ti stem like that?

csp
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ti?

It or not? It looks it but not sure.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by csp
    It or not? It looks it but not sure.

that's a zoom stem w/a syncros decal.

zoom stems are nice...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

csp
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Really? LOL.. Well that sucks

mtbr member
    yep, Zoom stem.

Stan, regarding the Ritchey stems, the black one is probably newer. Its a lower end model and it looks like you have the wedges between the two stems mixed up - the Force stem should have an aluminum one. That was a nice stem in it's day. Pretty light too. The Syncros is even lighter though, but have been known to crack...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    that's a zoom stem w/a syncros decal.

zoom stems are nice...
    Nice mabye, but basically OEM-quality Taiwanese steel stems, vs high end Canadian aluminum stems.. not quite the same thing. The Syncros stem probably cost 5 or 7x as much.

Lonebiker
    ..."High end Canadian aluminum stems"... With a plastic cap that broke with a little tork on the screw...

I Think that not all Syncros stems come with this plastic cap, but I never find a metal cap to buy, with this inclined bottom.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by robinmiller
    Nice mabye, but basically OEM-quality Taiwanese steel stems, vs high end Canadian aluminum stems.. not quite the same thing. The Syncros stem probably cost 5 or 7x as much.
    Cost and quality are hardly synonymous. Think of all the Answer Manitou frames out there that have cracked head tubes for example. I don't recall those frames being exactly cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Cost and quality are hardly synonymous. Think of all the Answer Manitou frames out there that have cracked head tubes for example. I don't recall those frames being exactly cheap.
    Well, you're giving as an example one particularly notorious product.. Syncros stems were not notorious for breaking... rather, they were considered the best you could get.

HIYAH
    The ritchey force was a tigged stem made by nitto and is probably 88-90 vintage. I have two from 90. Both of mine are road stems and both came on Bridgestones. I am not sure if the force was also available as a mtb stem? They are very nice stems as is everything nitto in general.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by robinmiller
    Well, you're giving as an example one particularly notorious product.. Syncros stems were not notorious for breaking... rather, they were considered the best you could get.
    syncros posts are notorious for breaking. syncros stems are nice. really nice and very light... pretty bling expensive high on the cool list. performance gains over a zoom other than 50 grams? zero.

zoom stems are looked down but although the silly name and taiwanese heritage it's a very nice product. light cheap and strong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1

zoom stems are looked down but although the silly name and taiwanese heritage it's a very nice product. light cheap and strong.
    dont forget quite ugly.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    dont forget quite ugly.
    but then all tig stems are ugly next to a cinelli 1A or XA.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The ti finish I always found appealing on Zoom parts. They also had a black painted and a polished silver but those were rarer. I can still get a number of the Zoom stems, NOS, from one distributor. Heck after lucking into a set of the bar-ends at the shop that some customer left behind off his bike... and then ordered a matching stem to put this together...

Zoom parts weren't all steel... the stems and seatposts and bar ends were heat-treated CrMo yes... very VERY strong stuff. Their seatposts in particular were very durable (so durable I think when Thomson did their seatpost tests back when they started, they skipped testing the Zoom posts). The handlebars though were butted aluminium and also quite strong and reasonably light for the money. They came in all three finishes, three lengths (540, 560, 580mm), and three materials (6061, 2014 and 7075).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread