mtbr member
    Feb 2004

syncros lil snapper/XTR weight

I have a 2003 GT Marathon full XTR disc bike that weighs 25 pounds. It has XTR hubs laced to Syncros lil snapper rims. Anyone know what these rims weigh? I am looking to lose weight on the bike. Also, how can I tell what kind of spokes I have and whether I can lose weight there too? And, can I use a non-XTR wheelset with XTR hydros or should I just buy new rims and spokes and rebuild this wheelset? I plan on running Stan's.

young gun
    Jan 2004
    I had a pair of snappers - what kind of bloody name for a rim is that? which came on my 04 gt zaskar pro. if the 03 ones are the same, they're pretty heavy, for XC that is. I built myself a new wheelset with mavic 317s and hugi 240s. I spose now the 717s would be the go, but if you're looking to loose weight, loose those snappers! Get some double or tripple butted spokes and alloy nipples, not brass. you should be able to keep your xtr hubs and still run xtr discs, if they're able to be laced 3 cross and not the new shimano way, which I'm assuming they are seeing as they laced to the syncros rims. Good luck