carpe diem
    Jan 2004

Syncros Lil' Snapper Spoke Length Help - Shiggy?

I finally got a chance to start tightening up the spokes on my project wheel build, but found that the spokes are too long!?!

I am using 32 hole XTR M950 hubs with the rims and doing a 3X cross build. I used Rinard's (sp?) spokecalc and directly plugged in the rims and hubs and got 268.5 front and 268.1 / 266.6 rear.

I started building with 268 front and 267 / 268 rear and found I can't get the spokes tight before they start running out of thread.

Does anyone know if the ERD on spokecalc is correct (542)? I think Shiggy posted the rim ERD at one time, but I can't find it.

I was hoping to make this a low cost build, but now it looks like I have to buy another set of spokes!

Thanks in advance.

Code Burr

Are you sure they are too long?
    Its hard to tell whether they are too long by the amount of threads showing before tension comes into place. I usually get the right tension about 3 or 4 complete turns after the threads are gone.
    Try getting them good and tight and see how much of the threads are showing above the nipple in rim cavity eyelet. If its more than a couple mm the spokes may be too long.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moto
    I finally got a chance to start tightening up the spokes on my project wheel build, but found that the spokes are too long!?!

I am using 32 hole XTR M950 hubs with the rims and doing a 3X cross build. I used Rinard's (sp?) spokecalc and directly plugged in the rims and hubs and got 268.5 front and 268.1 / 266.6 rear.

I started building with 268 front and 267 / 268 rear and found I can't get the spokes tight before they start running out of thread.

Does anyone know if the ERD on spokecalc is correct (542)? I think Shiggy posted the rim ERD at one time, but I can't find it.

I was hoping to make this a low cost build, but now it looks like I have to buy another set of spokes!

Thanks in advance.
    539 mm is what I measured and used to build two wheels.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

I had gotten to the point where...

I had about 5 turns past the showing threads and I had to use a spoke wrench because there was no more notch for the screwdriver. All the spokes were still very loose, no tension at all. I think I bottomed out one of the threads which made me think that I was SOL.

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

Thanks Shiggy - Do you think....

that 3mm difference ERD will make much difference? I plug 539 into spokecalc as the ERD and only got 1mm difference shorter in spoke length. Is this enough to bother changing spokes?

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

Found the error - my bad...

Didn't change from 28 to 32 hole on the calculator. Difference is 4mm per spoke. Damn gotta start all over again. I know, I know - measure twice.....