Lazy People Suck

Syncros Lil Snapper Rims-Opinions?

There is nothing in the reviews and was curious if anyone had built up wheels using these rims. they are advertised at 400 grams. I am looking to build up a backup wheelset and would be using them with discs. The rims appear to be eyeletted, so I am hoping they could handle the stress of disc brakes.

I would welcome opinions.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    There is nothing in the reviews and was curious if anyone had built up wheels using these rims. they are advertised at 400 grams. I am looking to build up a backup wheelset and would be using them with discs. The rims appear to be eyeletted, so I am hoping they could handle the stress of disc brakes.

I have no opinion of this rim one way or the other... but why not just choose a disc specific rim? Is there a price promotion on the Syncros?

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by LowRent1
    I have no opinion of this rim one way or the other... but why not just choose a disc specific rim? Is there a price promotion on the Syncros?
    I can get a set for next to nothing from someone I know. That is the only reason I am considering them or else I would look at a normal disc rim setup.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

persona non grata
    I can get a set for next to nothing from someone I know. That is the only reason I am considering them or else I would look at a normal disc rim setup.
    OK. Well, if they're real cheap then I guess you don't have that much to lose if they don't work out.

400 g and not specifically designed for discs makes me concerned about their service life. The X517/XC 717 is about that weight and can be problematic with discs.

Good luck.

mtbr member

I can't comment on the use of these rims for disc brakes as I use V-brakes. I do, however, think the rims are of good quality. I have built 4-5 wheelsets with them and even replaced my own X517's with them. They are light, build well (very round and flat) and have a nice brake suface (not that you care). Like you, I chose them due to the cheap cost (nashbar had them for $9.95 ea). I have never found an official ERD for them, but would guess it to be 538-540. Just a little smaller than most XC rim-brake rims. If you are building the wheels yourself (or are getting the build done cheaply) I'd say go for it. BTW - I had problems keeping my X517's true without disc brakes (I weigh about 220lbs), but have had no trouble with these rims.

Your bike sucks

I have a set and I use disks

Well, a front disk anyway and it's held up fine. I like these rims and would buy them again if nashbar still had them. I was worried (like you) that it would have some of the problems the 517 (with disks) has but after about 1 year they are still going strong. Eyelets seem to be hardy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Lil snappers

I have these that came on my 01 gt i-drive.....love 'em. have hayes mechanical both fr and rear. i'm not a tlight 220lbs and tear thru dh. good sized rocks are always bouncing off these puppies and i've had zero problems. one day a 1/2 in stick got caught in them and they chewed it right up and the spoke wasn't even bent.

pick 'em up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No problems with self-built set of rim brake wheels

I'm not a hucker, but I ride a fairly rocky/rooty trail regularly, and I weight about 200# . I have no complaints whatsoever. I built this set with relatively high spoke tension; so much so that I rounded about 6 nipples during the build. The rims stand up well. No truing issues after about 200 miles.