mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Syncros FL DS23 rims?

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Syncros' FL DS23 rims? I am looking to build up a new wheelset for aggressive XC-trail riding. I weigh in anywhere from 215 to 225 depending on the time of year before adding my riding gear so figure up to 240 pounds when riding. The main things I am looking for is any information people might have on durability and any issues you might have encountered.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi! I've been using Syncros FL DS23 rims for about 6 months now. They're matched with DT comps and Hope PRo2's. I weigh 235 lbs and I ride a hardtail for XC - I'm a fairly smooth rider, my style is not aggressive and I don't do jumps but our terrain here can get quite rough with big, sharp rocks (mountains at the coastline).

I haven't had any issues so far. I'm very happy with them and they feel very stiff. Power transfer to my wheels feels instantaneous and they feel pretty solid when landing from short drops. My previous rims were Mavic 717's and I could feel them flexing.

I give them two thumbs up as far as my experience with them is concerned - the price is very reasonable too.

Cheers!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar24
    Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Syncros' FL DS23 rims? I am looking to build up a new wheelset for aggressive XC-trail riding. I weigh in anywhere from 215 to 225 depending on the time of year before adding my riding gear so figure up to 240 pounds when riding. The main things I am looking for is any information people might have on durability and any issues you might have encountered.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    I would say they are a bit light and narrow for you. You would get better performance from a slightly wider rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have been using Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25's/Bontrager Jones XR 2.25 tires without any problems, although I use mostly 2.0's and 2.1 tires since we ride all the way to the trails.

If you plan on using big tires most of the time then you can use the DS28's. I love the light weight of the DS23's though. It's too bad that the DP25's have been discontinued. Maybe you can still find old stocks. They're a good compromise but the 28's are only slightly heavier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanki you for the answers all. I have also been looking at the Mavic 819, though I am turned off by the fact that their site says it should run up to a 2.3 only, or the Stan's Flow as my other choices. I currently ride a 2.35 up front but am thinking of going to a 2.2 front and rear. What are your opinions on these two.

I am also interested in hearing which rim you would recommend for me Shiggy.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    has anyone successfully converted ds23's to tubeless?