Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,321

    Syncros FBI 1.5 reducing headset

    This design looks pretty cool, using roller bearings....

    http://www.sicklines.com/2008/01/15/...set/#more-2009

    Anyone want to speculate on performance vs. the Cane Creek double xc flush?
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  2. #2
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,259
    definitely looks cooler so that makes it better!

  3. #3
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    This design looks pretty cool, using roller bearings....

    http://www.sicklines.com/2008/01/15/...set/#more-2009

    Anyone want to speculate on performance vs. the Cane Creek double xc flush?
    Looks nice and heavy. Perfect for the heavier/burlier 2009 RFX with 1.5 headtube.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

  4. #4
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,259
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Looks nice and heavy. Perfect for the heavier/burlier 2009 RFX with 1.5 headtube.
    show me a "light" 1.5 to 1.125 reducer headset that is light please.....

  5. #5
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,251
    Whoa! No comparison. That Syncros is a sweet design; the Cane Creek isn't even in the same league (strength wise).

  6. #6
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,477
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    Whoa! No comparison. That Syncros is a sweet design; the Cane Creek isn't even in the same league (strength wise).
    Uh-oh! I think SSINGA might give you a time-out for that comment.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

  7. #7
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Uh-oh! I think SSINGA might give you a time-out for that comment.


    time-out? I'm thinking banned!
    Nothing to see here.

  8. #8
    Dishwasher Safe
    Reputation: deadbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,251
    Hey, I just made on honest comparison of the two headsets mentioned.

    I run a Cane Creek S2 which works perfectly for my intended use. To be honest, the Syncros may be a bit overkill for anyone other than the hardcore free-rider's.

  9. #9
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,971
    but will it fit on a flux? i wanna make mine burleyer and less whippy up front so i can do more 5-6' drops! im thinkin this h/set and a 66.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,152
    How about comparing the new King Devolution?
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  11. #11
    dust'n bones
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    117

    forget the FBI headset!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    This design looks pretty cool, using roller bearings....

    http://www.sicklines.com/2008/01/15/...set/#more-2009

    Anyone want to speculate on performance vs. the Cane Creek double xc flush?
    well, the concept of the Syncros FBI is damned good, but as we know it is made in Taiwan - with big tolerances!
    I had one in my Intense Uzzi VPX and never got it out, because the under cup had the wrong diameter...

    Run the Chris King 1.5 - and it will give you peace of mind, period

    regards,

    Chris

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jon Edwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    439
    Roller bearings = cr@p (unless your sealing is VERY VERY good).

    Basically, if you get grit into a "normal" bearing, the round balls push it out of the way to one side or the other of the contact track.

    The needles in rollers don't do this - they just cruise straight on over the grit particles, so your needles and bearing races get wrecked a lot quicker.

    FSA did a version of the Orbit with taper rollers in it a few years back. Sealing was average. It was terrible.

  13. #13
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeti
    well, the concept of the Syncros FBI is damned good, but as we know it is made in Taiwan - with big tolerances!
    I had one in my Intense Uzzi VPX and never got it out, because the under cup had the wrong diameter...

    Run the Chris King 1.5 - and it will give you peace of mind, period

    regards,

    Chris
    Chris King's headset technology is about 15 years out of date. There are far better headsets on the market today.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20
    What do you think is out of date with CK headsets, and why is other headsets better?

  15. #15
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,921
    Can you swap between 1.5 and 1.125" forks with the syncros? Doesn't look like it.

    Regardless of what you think of King's design, they stand behind their products and their durability is unmatched. I for one think the creaking issues have more to due with installation and stem choice than the headset itself.

    I've only had one Syncros product that featured bearings (front hub) and it was an absolute nightmare. The bearings consistently siezed when the hub was submerged in water, and the flanges eventually split off the CNC'd hub shell. Granted this was years ago, Synchros has changed ownership many times since.

    I'm not sold on the advantages of 1.5 head tubes if it means we are stuck with crap headsets. I'm impressed with the King so far, but it really hasn't been put to the test yet....

  16. #16
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    I had 2 diff stems on my RFX/Domain, neither were Thomson's and it creaked, got the FSA and no creak. Funny thing was that is didn't creak when I had a Z1 on the bike and it didn't creak for the first 3 months with the Domain.

  17. #17
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,363
    If King made a 0 Stack, I probably would have chosen it over the Sunline V-1 Reducer, just based on bling factor, but I have been very happy with the Sunline. No issues with creaking or loosening, and the bearings are still running smooth.

  18. #18
    dust'n bones
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    117

    No!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Chris King's headset technology is about 15 years out of date. There are far better headsets on the market today.
    in fact there is no better headset than a Chris King - it's like this:

    1. Chris King
    2. Reset Racing Germany
    3. Acros - Germany
    4. Hope
    5. Race Face
    6. Ritchey
    8. Cane Creek
    9. Syncros
    10. FSA
    .
    .
    .
    156. TH Industries Taiwan

  19. #19
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Mr. Bottoms is right, King avoids paying licensing fees by integrating the bearing interface/taper into the top cover of the headset. Works great as long as your steerer tube isn't flexing and rocking the top cover back and forth. King makes up for this somewhat lacking design by manufacturing an extremely high quality product.

    A separate compression ring is a better design but the patent is owned by Cane Creek for another year or so.

    Regarding the new Syncros, good luck. I have never used a roller bearing headset that didn't suck. Maybe this one will be the first! Somebody buy a few and report back.

    JMH



    Quote Originally Posted by KrankMan
    What do you think is out of date with CK headsets, and why is other headsets better?

  20. #20
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Mr. Bottoms is right, King avoids paying licensing fees by integrating the bearing interface/taper into the top cover of the headset. Works great as long as your steerer tube isn't flexing and rocking the top cover back and forth. King makes up for this somewhat lacking design by manufacturing an extremely high quality product.

    A separate compression ring is a better design but the patent is owned by Cane Creek for another year or so.

    Regarding the new Syncros, good luck. I have never used a roller bearing headset that didn't suck. Maybe this one will be the first! Somebody buy a few and report back.

    JMH
    DING DING DING! We have a winner!

    A locking compression ring is the key to the headset universe.

    King's design hasn't changed in DECADES, and is antiquated when compared to the progression of other components.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  21. #21
    dust'n bones
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    117

    maybe

    you are right somehow, but the best headset ever was:

    my Onza Mongo Ufo!

    the King Design could be more progressive, but the bearing quality is outstanding...


    cheers,

    Chris

  22. #22
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    DING DING DING! We have a winner!

    A locking compression ring is the key to the headset universe in California

    King's design hasn't changed in DECADES, and is antiquated when compared to the progression of other components.
    Let me straighten that up for you.

    Up here, quality seals and bearings seem to be more of an issue.

  23. #23
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Let me straighten that up for you.

    Up here, quality seals and bearings seem to be more of an issue.
    I still have nightmares about riding Shore trails after it rains. Instant wuss.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  24. #24
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I still have nightmares about riding Shore trails after it rains. Instant wuss.
    yeah things get a little slick
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation: swillbilly sledneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    48
    I like the idea but I don't know how well it will succeed. Will it come in pretty anodized colors that look really good in those close-up shots of the bike that is sitting alone in a field?

    FM, that picture is blurry and gives me vertigo. Thanks. That's why I come here. Vertigo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •