mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Syncros DS28 rims and Stans tubeless kit?

a couple of reviews in the said section says DS28s "might" have issues w/ Stans rim strip because of the "bead lock system". Has anyone actually tried this combo?

mtbr member
    Can't help with the beadlock but my buddy has them and destroyed the rear twice already. Once at Whistler (understandable) and once on a trail with small drops (3 ft). He's no hack, the rims are just garbage if you ask me; do a search, not a lot of love for those rims so he's not the only one. Practically gave him a set of Singletracks just so he can ride.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I had them and they worked just fine with the Stans system. Use UST specific tires, I had MUCH better luck with those than with converted standard tires.

I weigh 225# and had them for a whole season. Did some >5' drops to basically rock garden and they held up fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    I had them and they worked just fine with the Stans system. Use UST specific tires, I had MUCH better luck with those than with converted standard tires.

I weigh 225# and had them for a whole season. Did some >5' drops to basically rock garden and they held up fine.

...thanks, that helps a lot. I'm about 150# fully geared and yet to have the balls for 5' drops. If you can, what was the problem w/ non-UST tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeered1
    ...thanks, that helps a lot. I'm about 150# fully geared and yet to have the balls for 5' drops. If you can, what was the problem w/ non-UST tires?
    They just didn't seat and seal well on those rims. I don't think it was the bead lock notches though. Rather the internal profile of the rim.

Use one layer of Velox rim tape under the strip for the best results.

Waiting for Godot
    pick a tire with a good bead and your set. mine were a little stubborn getting them to inflate. once air got in they held great.

btw, these rims are very stout for their weight and my perfered choice for whistler. if your taco-ing these you are going to be doing the same to any rim that isn't 100 pounds.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/