mtbr member
    Jan 2004

syncros DP25 or Mavic XM819?

need some input/thoughts on the DP25. I have a set of 819s (on an X5) and like them but want something wider for my new La Bruja, as sturdy trailbike built/no freerider, rocky trails, up to 4ft drops, occasional jumps... I am 162-165lbs incl. gear. Lots of climbing involved here so weight is still a concern.

Both are in the same weight range, Mavics UST compatibility is a bonus so I can run Stan's (which I will) without rim strip, the 25s are heavier with the rim strip but a tad wider which would be nice for this bike, I will run 2.35-2.4 tires (Kenda BG/NVG). How about stiffness, any long term experience? Thanks!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by schotter
    need some input/thoughts on the DP25. I have a set of 819s (on an X5) and like them but want something wider for my new La Bruja, as sturdy trailbike built/no freerider, rocky trails, up to 4ft drops, occasional jumps... I am 162-165lbs incl. gear. Lots of climbing involved here so weight is still a concern.

Both are in the same weight range, Mavics UST compatibility is a bonus so I can run Stan's (which I will) without rim strip, the 25s are heavier with the rim strip but a tad wider which would be nice for this bike, I will run 2.35-2.4 tires (Kenda BG/NVG). How about stiffness, any long term experience? Thanks!
    Hey schotter, great question. I just went though this and had my first ride today on my new wheelset

anyway, though I have nothing to back it up quantitatively, my sense is that the DP25 and the XM819s should be very comparable in terms of robustness with the DP25 being a tad wider, but the weights are the same with the DP25 about 510 and while the XM819 has a "listed" weight of 465grams I believe, the real weight is 510grams.

Your description of intent for these rims is virtually identical to my algorithm in terms of type of riding.

Basically, since I wanted something a bit more robust than the 819s, I actually went with the Syncros DS28 and cannot be happier. They weight about 540grams so while they are heavier, I was more than willing to add 60 total grams to have these rims. They look incredibly robust (see my post in the Ventana forum titled "Almost done...").

Long term experience for the new Synros company is not applicable at this point but I, along with many others, am happy to be a test rat since so many folks I respect think highly of the new and improved Syncros.

You may want to ask El Beastro about his experience as apparently, his reputation is breaking stuff and he has been running the DP25s for some time now....also a Ventana brutha.

Cheers and keep us posted

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DP 28...hmmmmm yummy.

I saw your thread and you're right, these look nice. I love the high profile. How much do you weigh? Congratulations btw, that is one of the sweetest x5 setups I've seen, just get the Romic spring powdercoated in fleshcolor...Getting another XM 819 would be sort of boring so now the question is: The XM 819 and something bigger (DP28) for the Bruja or Mavic/Bruja and X5/FLR DS 23 which look really kool in white (http://www.syncros.com/rims.htm). I wonder if there is a noticeable difference in stiffness between let's say a DS23 and a DS 28 for a medium heavy rider.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I saw your thread and you're right, these look nice. I love the high profile. How much do you weigh? Congratulations btw, that is one of the sweetest x5 setups I've seen, just get the Romic spring powdercoated in fleshcolor...Getting another XM 819 would be sort of boring so now the question is: The XM 819 and something bigger (DP28) for the Bruja or Mavic/Bruja and X5/FLR DS 23 which look really kool in white (http://www.syncros.com/rims.htm). I wonder if there is a noticeable difference in stiffness between let's say a DS23 and a DS 28 for a medium heavy rider.
    There should be a big difference in the stiffness of the rims.

The DS23 (small than you are asking for) is the XC rim

The DP25 is wider and deeper (stiffer)

And the DS28 is bigger yet

My pick would be the DS28.

I do not recommend DIY tubeless for any standard tire and/or rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    There should be a big difference in the stiffness of the rims.

The DS23 (small than you are asking for) is the XC rim

The DP25 is wider and deeper (stiffer)

And the DS28 is bigger yet

My pick would be the DS28.

I do not recommend DIY tubeless for any standard tire and/or rim.
    yeah, but man that stylish white...no I feel myself leaning towards the DS28. These diagrams are pretty helpful in explaining the minimal weight difference between the 25 and 28, thanks. DIY experience? I had my share: Exploded tires (in my face) on and off trail (Nokian NBX), slit sidewalls (Enduro Pro)...but since the Kendas its all good. Plus I bought three bottles of sealant in a stocking frenzy and wanna use it up...
    cheers

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...DIY experience? I had my share: Exploded tires (in my face) on and off trail (Nokian NBX), slit sidewalls (Enduro Pro)...but since the Kendas its all good. Plus I bought three bottles of sealant in a stocking frenzy and wanna use it up...
    cheers
    And now you are changing rims...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    And now you are changing rims...
    even worse, man: I am ADDING another wheelset...aah...can't wait to bathe myself in fresh latex again...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    thanks for the kind words about the X-5 pics......most people cant help but make comments about the "color scheme".

I weight 175 pounds. Personally, i would reserve the DS23 for a XC bike but that is just me. It just feels natural to have a low to mid 500 gram rim for an X-5....like the DS28. I actually love the white on the 23 and wish I did more research on my wheelset for the XC bike I just built up.....it would have looked awesome.......but I guess I will just have to settle for the DT Swiss XR4.1d rims which are sweet too.

Cheers