Thread: Syncros Cranks

mtbr member

Syncros Cranks

I purchaced these in error after thinking I was bidding on a different auction (should have paid attention to what I was clicking on) None the less, $10.00 is no big deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...D50%26_fvi%3D1

I noticed that they dont come with the "spider / tab / stress transfer device" I have no knowledge of these so I was hoping somebody could either post a pic of what is missing or give me an idea as to where to find one.

As always; thanks in advance for any help.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi,

What's missing is the device that makes up for the missing two spider-arms. Without this device the drive-side arm is of no use .

Good luck,
    Ben

mtbr member
    I see. Any idea where I could find this little device? Or what the proper name of it is? Seem to road blocked on google since there are a trillion spider hits for cranks.

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    haha, i have a set of NOS cranks missing the same piece. i've been looking for that piece for 4 years now.

mtbr member
    Good thing my best friend does custom machining then. Looks like I may have to have some fabricating done. Then again, I didn't want these anyway so I guess I could just sit and wait for the parts to show up somewhere.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I think someone could probably make a few bucks making and selling the stress transfer device. It seems there are a bunck of these cranks floating around without them.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    I think someone could probably make a few bucks making and selling the stress transfer device. It seems there are a bunck of these cranks floating around without them.
    A "few" bucks is probably right. As in $2-$3. If you look into the cost of reverse engineering, tooling, machining, etc., vs the potential market, I doubt there is much money to be made.

It's a shame, too, as those cranks were nice, but not as nice as the earlier tubular steel versions.

mtbr member
    Might make nice arms/hands for a big clock!
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck
    A "few" bucks is probably right. As in $2-$3. If you look into the cost of reverse engineering, tooling, machining, etc..
    True, but if it's his buddy, there's little cost beyond a few sixers and some $ for stock (besides, it's a small chunk of material, many shops have scrap laying about that will work, if someone had an eye for it's use). If he could turn out a dozen or two of them with a few hours of CAD time, on his own time (vs. shop time) I'm guessing he could sell them for $20 to $30, and probably move them out fairly quickly. A good strategy for starting a business? No. Beer money, and a feeling of helping out a cool community with a unique issue? Yes.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    It could always be worth a shot to check in with Ritchey and see if they got the CNC data along with their purchase of syncros. If not, he might be able to get you in touch with who from the old company might.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Look like misterdangerpants had the same adaptor

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-10th-Anniver...1%7C240%3A1318

You may want to contact him to see where he got his. I happen to have a total stranger send me one recently that happened to make an extra.

Anyone know the difference between the 10 year anniversary and the standard forged as shown above? I know the logo is deeply engraved as opposed to lazer etched. But are there any other differences?

Carsten
    afaik the logos were always engraved. the only difference likely is the sticker. the earlier version of these cranks had the logo closer to the spider and seem to have a tendency to snap at the Y

carsten

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Carsten, your bike is dirty! (I don't think I remember you ever posting a dirty bike.) :P

Why were these even sold without the extra bolts? Was it merely to shave off weight?

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgirlonbike
    Carsten, your bike is dirty! (I don't think I remember you ever posting a dirty bike.) :P

Why were these even sold without the extra bolts? Was it merely to shave off weight?

see how little you know me. that's not my bike. i have never ridden anything else than shimano and campagnolo cranks and you must have missed this one in the Klein thread

even with knobbies, but i've mounted those only for the pic and trust me it has been much dirtier more often than not in the last 13 years

carsten

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten

carsten

Carsten, that is a REALLY good looking bike. Very nicely done.

Steve

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Yes, I'd vote for that bike in a heartbeat....and I've never viewed the Klein thread.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by dontyoueatthatyellowsnow
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-10th-Anniver...1%7C240%3A1318

You may want to contact him to see where he got his. I happen to have a total stranger send me one recently that happened to make an extra.

Anyone know the difference between the 10 year anniversary and the standard forged as shown above? I know the logo is deeply engraved as opposed to lazer etched. But are there any other differences?
    Mine were NOS, and came with all the necessary hardware as well as those funky Crank-O-Matic thingies.