Thread: Syncros

mtbr member

Syncros

What do you think of Syncros DS28 rims for dh use? Anybody tried?

mtbr member
    I've got a set coming this friday or saturday laced to hadleys. I'm doing more freeride on smoother trails than DH rock garden type stuff though. How much do you weigh and what bike are they going on? Are your trails on the smooth or really rough side? I'd heard a great deal of good things about them. Reports of their durability and the weight is why I chose them.

not so super...
    DS28's are nice rims but not truely DH worthy. You might think about the 32.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Right now I have DS28 on my Chameleon and they are good as new after a lot of not exactly smooth drops and landings. So now I would like to shave some weight from Quake where it counts the most and not loose on strength. I have Marin Quake 7.2 and rims will be laced to Syncros FR hubs. My weight is around 193 lbs with gear. There is no rock gardens where I ride. Mostly hard pack or loose soil with small rocks here and there, and some 5-7 ft drops. But I wonder how will they hold up if I take them to a race. There will be few of them in the next couple of months and... and there will be some rocky sections.

mtbr member
    Hey, Marshall here from Syncros. We didn't originally intend the DS28's for DH use but in the last couple of years lots of riders are using them with good success. The downhillers on the NSMB Team (www.nsmb.com) all use them and they seem to really stand up well.
    We also have lots of riders using them for slope style and shore riding, but racing can stress a wheel like nothing else. So I'd really like to hear from anyone who is racing on them and find out how the rims are doing under various course conditions (rock gardens, drops etc).

not so super...
    I raced my DS28 a few times, but I was not on a full-out DH rig either. It is one of my favorite rims I've used in a while - if it was only UST I still be using it.

I was running DH tires and tubes to protect it too.

It was a little rocky

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Mostly I'm riding agressive trail and light freeride, but the rims can take that without breaking a sweat, so I believe there won't be any problems with DS28. Especially, using 2.5 tires. And in race 1,2 mm tubes, just in case. But I was wondering is anybody out there riding dh with this rims and how are they holding up, because as like I said before, this spring I will try them in 2 maybe 3 races, and a few rock gardens or higher drops may come up, so that's the situations when it's good to know that I'm rolling on good rims.

mtbr member
    Make sure they are true and tensioned up well and you should be good to go IMO.