mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Servicing Ritchey ProLite Bottom Bracket?

Does anyone know how to service/replace the bearings in an old Ritchey ProLite bottom bracket (from a P21)? The ones in mine are really rough feeling and crusty. It doesn't look like they're cartridge bearings, but maybe they are. I'll try and post a pic later tonight. TIA.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

Stokeless Asshat
    I think I'm correct in saying they are caged balls, not cartridge for sure. I just serviced one on my Ultra.
    J
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    cool thanks. i'll try and peel off the seals and see if i can just swap out the balls. hopefully the races aren't pitted.
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

VRC Illuminati
    Bottom brackets are cheap and easy to get, why not just replace the whole thing with a UN-71 or something similar?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

Stokeless Asshat
    I say save it if you can. I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of servicing cup and cone BB's, plus new bearings are cheap and the Ritchey units are quite nice.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah i popped the seals of and the grease inside was all dried up and sticky. I cleaned it out as much as possible, but the bearings (or possibly the races) are pitted and it feels really rough. I don't see a way to get the bearing cages out to check the races though. I'mn probably going to replace the BB anyway, but I was getting antsy to try and get the bike up and running this past weekend.