mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Servicing Ritchey ProLite Bottom Bracket?

Does anyone know how to service/replace the bearings in an old Ritchey ProLite bottom bracket (from a P21)? The ones in mine are really rough feeling and crusty. It doesn't look like they're cartridge bearings, but maybe they are. I'll try and post a pic later tonight. TIA.
    ShockWiz Rentals available at FeelTheBerm.com! Into Vintage? Check out my Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

Stokeless Asshat
    I think I'm correct in saying they are caged balls, not cartridge for sure. I just serviced one on my Ultra.
    J
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    cool thanks. i'll try and peel off the seals and see if i can just swap out the balls. hopefully the races aren't pitted.
    ShockWiz Rentals available at FeelTheBerm.com! Into Vintage? Check out my Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

VRC Illuminati
    Bottom brackets are cheap and easy to get, why not just replace the whole thing with a UN-71 or something similar?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Stokeless Asshat
    I say save it if you can. I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of servicing cup and cone BB's, plus new bearings are cheap and the Ritchey units are quite nice.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah i popped the seals of and the grease inside was all dried up and sticky. I cleaned it out as much as possible, but the bearings (or possibly the races) are pitted and it feels really rough. I don't see a way to get the bearing cages out to check the races though. I'mn probably going to replace the BB anyway, but I was getting antsy to try and get the bike up and running this past weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0