mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Ritchey ZED Race 29er Tires

Good day

Before I drop the coin on these tires has anyone tried them out. I want really fast tires for smooth fire roads. I was even concidering a cross tire. (Maxxis Larsen Mimo CX Tire 35mm) I do have concerns about pinch flats with 35mm CX tires. Does anybody have experience cross tires?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by allanstpierre
    Good day

Before I drop the coin on these tires has anyone tried them out. I want really fast tires for smooth fire roads. I was even concidering a cross tire. (Maxxis Larsen Mimo CX Tire 35mm) I do have concerns about pinch flats with 35mm CX tires. Does anybody have experience cross tires?
    The ZED 700x42 is a 'cross tire. A big 'cross tire but not really a 29" mtb tire.

38-44 mm tires work fine if you are good at picking good lines.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

surlysoul

maxxis

I run narrower tires I usually like 700 x 44 or so I tried the maxxis 35 It is a very soft tire good grip but I had several pinch flats more so than with other 35 tires on rough trails. I have not tried the ritchey yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

700*44

I was really hoping to run a fast narrow tire, the pinch flat issue is my biggest concern. What 44mm tire are you endorsing? When you were using the narrower tires how much psi were you using?

Recovering couch patato
    Fast and narrow don't necessarily go hand in hand. Science actually says a wider tire can roll faster. Especially in the terrain, I feel faster on big tires with shallower tread.
    Many people attibure a CX bike's speed to the narrow tires, where in fact the bikes are roadbike-light, and ridden by inhumane riders. If you're a CX expert racer, you'll probably whip my fat tire ass on any course, but you'd still be faster on fatties I'm sure.
    Maybe you should ask on the Roadbikereview.com CX forum. Many there also do trail riding on skinny tires, because they consider it fun.

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    What about the Mythos CX 700 x 42 it's great tire and I mean it's light (~ 500 gram) but will there be a 1.8" version of the Bontrager XCR now ???
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

Recovering couch patato
    Apparently the 1.8 XR is going to happen indeed. I think I'll like it for use in my CROSS bike. Not sure that tread in an actually ~44mm wide tire will do me much good for the only ~150g weight loss. I doubt I'll be able to do roll-out tests where I actually roll further with the 1.8's, let's say on a wide consistent trail (MX track) roll off a hill starting in standstill, and seeing how far it will roll. Beats a lab test IMO.
    and cornering...of course the 2.25" XR will win in most circumstances. Maybe not muddy grass.

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The ZED 700x42 is a 'cross tire. A big 'cross tire but not really a 29" mtb tire.

38-44 mm tires work fine if you are good at picking good lines.
    Did you ever weigh it? They say the tire is only 450 gramms this would be light and so the tire would be a great choice for mud and dirt on fast tracks - because it would be about 50 gramms lighter than the new bontrager xcr 1.8"
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

ok here is some info; kev nano vs ritchey speedmax crs

i race out west and was intrigued by placing a cross tire on my 29er to see the rolling resisitence and weight benefits.

i weighed both on a digital scale and the ritchey speedmax's were coming in around 360-380grams versus 560-580 grams for the kevlar nanos. that is around 1lbs difference in rotational weight right where you want it light!!!!

so forget about that for a moment; i have done some time trialing about five times; 14-18 miles about 1/4 road and the rest hardpack with lots of loose rocks, albeit small ones. i averaged around 15-15.3 mph on my mt 29er with nano's, around 15.3-15.7 mph on my 26 paragon with kevlar pythons and 17.5-17.8 mph on my mt tam 29er with the ritchey speedmax's!!

a very large difference!!

so, i said to myself how will these do on a race course type setting; around 1500-2000ft of climbs with flowing descents and some flats thrown in..
    they were fast again, ride quality sucked!!! like riding on rocks compared to the 29er with nano's..that with about 70-75psi.

obviously they can't corner that fast, they tend to slide around alot, front and rear, but if you can see your line they haul the mail!!
    i am going to do another race simulation on monday with 60-65psi and see if the traction picks up, and i get a better ride without pinch flatting. i would rather ride on the edge than get a pinch during the race. i will let you know how it works out, as my bit race is next sat!!

being is

avg. calc.

Quote Originally Posted by brook_63@yahoo.com
    i have done some time trialing about five times; 14-18 miles about 1/4 road and the rest hardpack with lots of loose rocks, albeit small ones. i averaged around 15-15.3 mph on my mt 29er with nano's, around 15.3-15.7 mph on my 26 paragon with kevlar pythons and 17.5-17.8 mph on my mt tam 29er with the ritchey speedmax's!!
    Did you pull the averages off your bike computer? If so, did you reprogram the computer to account for the cx tire's shorter rollout? Not trying to insult w/ such questions, just find the data hard to account for.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

yes

i have a fairly high end specialized computer that accounts for temp, altitude changes, avg speed, max speed etc..
    you can program it or use a measuring tape. i just went with a 700 X 32
    should work just fine..

Quote Originally Posted by brook_63@yahoo.com
    i have a fairly high end specialized computer that accounts for temp, altitude changes, avg speed, max speed etc..
    you can program it or use a measuring tape. i just went with a 700 X 32
    should work just fine..
    You really need to do a rollout measurement (with weight on the bike) for an accurate calibration. The charts in the computer manual are not very accurate because of the wide variation in actual tire sizes and the air pressure used. I have seen it be off by more than 15%.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by realbiker
    Did you ever weigh it? They say the tire is only 450 gramms this would be light and so the tire would be a great choice for mud and dirt on fast tracks - because it would be about 50 gramms lighter than the new bontrager xcr 1.8"
    I have not weighed or measured the ZED. I have seen it on a bike. Not a tire I would want in the mud. The full-ramp knobs would not work well at all (based on my experience with Ritchey ramped-knob 26" tires).

I also expect the Bonty 1.8 to be a fair bit wider than the ZED. Well worth the 50 or so extra grams.
    mtbtires.com

www.badgercycles.com

I use them

Actually I used them this weekend in a big time sticky mud feast and they were perfect. I flipped the rear around backwards and it hooked up way better than I thought they would. I passed tons of people spinning out trying to climb. They really hooked up well and I never once had to stop due to the mud. I ran them tubeless with 35psi front and rear turning a 32x18 fixed. We also have some races around here which are 1/2 singletrack 1/2 gravel roads and these tires work really well for that.