Low Rep Count

Ritchey WSC Foam Grips???

Ok, I remember someone on here having them on their bike. Now that I have a rigid set up I am looking in to some options here. Thought about the GP1's but not sure I can get past the asthetics just yet. But the foam grips look normal and I would think are quite comfy.

?'s
    1. is there a sleeve under them or is it straight foam to bar?
    2. durability? how long do they typically last you? Do they tear up easily?
    3. PITA to get off the bar once they start tearing up? I mean, is there foam crap stuck all over your bars?

Cheapest price I have found them thus far is on Amazon for $6.49 but you have to add in the shipping. May see if my buddy can get them for me through his shop and what the price would be. Not too stressed about the price as this will probably be the cheapest mod I have done thus far.

master blaster
    i had them on all my bikes at one time

1. no sleeve, its straight foam.
    2. i never tore mine in the few months i rode them.
    3. they arent very tight on the bar and no crap stuck on bars.

i ditched them because they would spin. clean bar, new grips ...ect still slipping.
    so instead of gluing them i now ride esi racers edge grips with no issue.

i have i think 3 pairs ill never use sitting in my garage. you can have them if you pay postage. i could fit a few pairs in a $4.95 box.

Low Rep Count
    That was my fear and why I asked if they had some sort of sleeve. I don't want to have to clue them to my bar but know that slipping grips just flat out suck! I will have a look at the ESI racers edge grips you mentioned.

I have taken a look at alot of BMX grips since Dan's has a huge selection but all fo them are pretty much ODI mushroom styles of some sort regardless of the brand. While comfortable to the grip, they aren't very cushy at all.

Low Rep Count
    Have you tried the Chunky versions? It says they are just slightly larger in diameter. I would think that would provide a little more squish over the racers edge versions.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Have you tried the Chunky versions? It says they are just slightly larger in diameter. I would think that would provide a little more squish over the racers edge versions.
    i used both but have now swapped over to racers edge on all. not for the weight but for comfort. i still have lock ons on my hardtail because ive been too lazy to install my new racers egde's ha.

Low Rep Count
    Screw it, I went with Green Racers Edge ones. Should be here in a couple of days. Thanks for your help.

Apr 2007
    I know you already ordered, but just thought I'd chime in with my vouch for ESI Chunkies. I've used them on my bike for over 2 years now and still looks great. (29er, rigid). I've taken them off about 10 times, but no cracks or rips. Never had issues with them being stuck to the handlebar. Nor any issues with them spinning. (I just use alcohol to slip them on and off). Bought at LBS for ~$15.

Low Rep Count
    Went for my first ride last night with my new grips! Love them. Could have gone with the Chunky version and felt fine with it but just wasn't sure if they were going to be too big when I was ordering.

Thanks Veloreality! Along with my new Paul levers and linear cables, I had a great little 6 mile ride yesterday while my daughter was at soccer practice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There good when they are dry. When they get sweaty or wet from rain, be ready as they get slippery. I replaced them with some cane creek's.
    To get them off I simply took a utility knife and cut them off knowing I wouldn't used them again.
    They did take some pressure off my hands, in the beginning, but after awhile they were simply grips that slipped in my hand, not the bar.
    hope that helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    i used both but have now swapped over to racers edge on all. not for the weight but for comfort. i still have lock ons on my hardtail because ive been too lazy to install my new racers egde's ha.
    Why do you find the thinner grips to be more comfortable than the Chunkies?

Low Rep Count
    I noticed they were a littel sippery when I took my gloves off after my ride. I normally have gloves on regardless so I am not to stressed about them slipping in my hands at this point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I guess I wasn't clear due to lack of sleep.
    When I had them, even with gloves, I rolled my hands over due to the grips getting wet.
    they are great when they stay dry, but here in the humid south, sweat just pours down my arms into my gloves and onto the grip making them slippery,
    Seeya,
    Gone riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyharris
    I guess I wasn't clear due to lack of sleep.
    When I had them, even with gloves, I rolled my hands over due to the grips getting wet.
    they are great when they stay dry, but here in the humid south, sweat just pours down my arms into my gloves and onto the grip making them slippery,
    Seeya,
    Gone riding.
    weird, I never had that with my Chunkies. I sweat a lot in our >100deg heat in CA and the only grip problem I had was my gloves sticking too much, causing my sweaty hands to slide within the gloves instead. Have you tried other gloves with those grips?

Apr 2007
    Though it doesn't rain too much here, I've never had problems with my Chunks, either.