mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ritchey WCS Marathon Saddle

Anyone have any time on one of these.

I'm currently on a rocket V Race which i like but my sit-bones just barely fit for width (on rough sections one side or the other bounces off the side).

I like the width of the WTB DEVO at 140 mm but not the length.

Ritchey generally gives the best bang for the buck in other components I've tried and the WCS Streem Saddle gets good reviews but there is nothing on the newer Marathon. Size wise I thin it should be bang on @ 275 mm x 140 mm.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    The Dude Abides

Crunchatize me Capn'
    You can be the first reviewer!

SIngletrack Mind
    Dang, its 2012 y'all and still not many reviews. Interested myself - and the only place I see them is Ebay.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Ask if your local Authorized Ritchey Dealer has our Demo Saddle Program in store. Then you can try one out yourself and see if you like it before you buy. This is a new program for 2012 and not all shops have them yet, so tell them to give us a call if they don't.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Ritchey WCS Contrail compared to WCS Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey_dave View Post
    Ask if your local Authorized Ritchey Dealer has our Demo Saddle Program in store. Then you can try one out yourself and see if you like it before you buy. This is a new program for 2012 and not all shops have them yet, so tell them to give us a call if they don't.
    Ritchey Dave,
    Which has more padding and how does size compare between these two saddles?
    Thanks.

Ritchey Design Rep
    The Marathon saddle has essentially the same inner structure as the Streem but with more padding. They are both 130mm wide. If you want something wider I suggest the Contrail. It's middle of the road padding with a slight contour and 138mm width. It utilizes the same Vector Wind Technology as both the Marathon and Streem which has a lot to do with what people like about our saddles.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

mtbr member
    I recently picked up a Marathon and a Biomax saddle. I previously rode WTB's, Pure V and had given up on the Rocket V.

Both the Ritchey saddles are amazing. Absolutely a revelation for me in riding my bike longer and more comfortably, even more efficiently. Both of these saddles are working for me. They both feel a little different but both have good qualities. The Marathon has the Vector (I think that's what its called) Wing mounting that seems to do a good job of improving support on the back of the saddle. The Biomax with it's relief zone toward the front seems perfectly placed for me when in a forward leaned position. Both of these saddles have a more rigid base when compared to the WTB's I had been riding and are flatter too. All in all I am left with the feeling I have been struggling with saddle comfort for a long time, wish I had the Ritchey saddle Epiphany much sooner. To be fair, I think other saddles could also have given me more comfort... I just wasn't prepared to spend a big chunk of money for a Selle Italia or San Marco, etc...
    critical to what I look for in a saddle (post Ritchey saddle discovery) is a solid base that is not going to flex too much under my weight, then the shape comes in... I'm still deciding on which Ritchey I like better... I think a mix of these two saddles would be ideal because I really like the cut out on the Biomax... but the Biomax lacks the added padding of the Marathon and does not have the Vector Wing flex (thingy), plus the Biomax base gives a little more (but not as much as a WTB)... The Biomax has felt rather hard at times especially when ridden 'more upright' but, I seem to be getting used to it after a few rides.

update (8/7/2012): I just got back from a 2hr. ride on my mountain bike which has the Biomax saddle and the thing is darn near perfect for me... I have been using the Marathon on my road bike.... I think I am going to try the Biomax on my road bike now where I will be able to compare on longer rides... as I don't ride my mountain bike much more than a few hours usually... on the road I can go for 5 sometimes....
    Last edited by kneejerk; 08-07-2012 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk View Post
    Update 9/15/2012: I tried the Biomax on my road bike for a few rides and struggle with it on longer rides. Just seems to not give enough support/padding on the back of the saddle. So, I went back to the Marathon and found the long distance comfort I needed back there. Again, combining these two saddles I think would be briliant as the Marathon hits me a bit too much up front when I move forward for a steep climbing pitch or a fast spin in the drops.... otherwise the Marathon is beautiful.