Thread: Ritchey Tires

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Ritchey Tires

Thought I would send out a thank you to the folks at Ritchey for making such a great performing 29er tire in the Ritchey Sheild WCS. Just an excellent blend of weight, speed, traction, and durability. I have run these tires all season starting in April.

Next season I will run these tires in late summer and run the Z-Max Evolution WCS in the spring. Please continue to make great tires!

Ritchey Design Rep
    Thanks for the accolades! I'm glad you're enjoying them. On behalf of the whole Ritchey team, you're very welcome.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. Thoughts on early '90s Ritchey tires for XC racing

Question for ritchey_dave and all the other vintagephiles. I'm seriously considering doing Keyesville next year on my P-21. The tires I have on there now I want to keep for show only since they are NOS Force Racing tires. I have a few Ground Control tires that might be acceptable for racing, but I think perhaps a more readily available NOS tire might be a better option. Two that are fairly available are the Speedmax and the Z.E.D. tires. I have no experience with either since I pretty much exclusively ran Ground Control tires BITD. So, my question is, which would be better for Keyesville, and why. The Speedmax or the Z.E.D? In addition, if you have a set of early '90s tires that are good enough to race Keyesville on, that you would part with, (any flavor) please let me know. I'm not married to the idea of running Ritchey tires, it just seems appropriate. Thanks.
    Wanted: 1985 StumpJumper Team 17.5 any condition.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'd would also like to chime in on this. I run the Shield WCS on the back for three seasons and then switch to the Z-max evolution for our wet leafy season. I also run a 650B Z-Max on the front all year. They are great tires. I don't know why more people don't run them. They are fast, grippy and do a great job in the wet conditions we have around here. My only complaint is that the Z-max are a little on the low volume side for my rear wheel. Unless I bump the pressure up I can feel rim contact sometimes. But worth the trade off for me. Keep up the good work. AND ADVERTISE. You have a good produce that no-one knows about.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by American Flyer View Post
    Question for ritchey_dave and all the other vintagephiles. I'm seriously considering doing Keyesville next year on my P-21.
    I've raced there for 9 of the last 11 years. The trails are generally hard pack with a smattering of embedded granite rocks to keep you on your toes. Any tire that gives you good traction on hardpack, combined with enough volume to keep to keep the ride smooth(ish) will work fine.

The only tires that I've found that do poorly are super narrow sub-2.0 tires. There are enough rocks that these pinch flat pretty easily. Otherwise it's personal preference.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by American Flyer View Post
    Question for ritchey_dave and all the other vintagephiles. I'm seriously considering doing Keyesville next year on my P-21. The tires I have on there now I want to keep for show only since they are NOS Force Racing tires. I have a few Ground Control tires that might be acceptable for racing, but I think perhaps a more readily available NOS tire might be a better option. Two that are fairly available are the Speedmax and the Z.E.D. tires. I have no experience with either since I pretty much exclusively ran Ground Control tires BITD. So, my question is, which would be better for Keyesville, and why. The Speedmax or the Z.E.D? In addition, if you have a set of early '90s tires that are good enough to race Keyesville on, that you would part with, (any flavor) please let me know. I'm not married to the idea of running Ritchey tires, it just seems appropriate. Thanks.
    That bike needs Ritchey tires! The Z-Max tires are still readily available in 26" and a fantastic all around tire. I use them on all my mountain bikes exclusively year round (I live in California). The Shield (while not really period correct) would be a fine choice if the trails there are really hard pack and smooth. They grip like Velcro in those conditions and have been highly praised.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative