Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ritchey Tires

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  seandm 
#1 ·
Thought I would send out a thank you to the folks at Ritchey for making such a great performing 29er tire in the Ritchey Sheild WCS. Just an excellent blend of weight, speed, traction, and durability. I have run these tires all season starting in April.

Next season I will run these tires in late summer and run the Z-Max Evolution WCS in the spring. Please continue to make great tires!

#4 ·
I'd would also like to chime in on this. I run the Shield WCS on the back for three seasons and then switch to the Z-max evolution for our wet leafy season. I also run a 650B Z-Max on the front all year. They are great tires. I don't know why more people don't run them. They are fast, grippy and do a great job in the wet conditions we have around here. My only complaint is that the Z-max are a little on the low volume side for my rear wheel. Unless I bump the pressure up I can feel rim contact sometimes. But worth the trade off for me. Keep up the good work. AND ADVERTISE. You have a good produce that no-one knows about.

#3 ·
Thoughts on early '90s Ritchey tires for XC racing

Question for ritchey_dave and all the other vintagephiles. I'm seriously considering doing Keyesville next year on my P-21. The tires I have on there now I want to keep for show only since they are NOS Force Racing tires. I have a few Ground Control tires that might be acceptable for racing, but I think perhaps a more readily available NOS tire might be a better option. Two that are fairly available are the Speedmax and the Z.E.D. tires. I have no experience with either since I pretty much exclusively ran Ground Control tires BITD. So, my question is, which would be better for Keyesville, and why. The Speedmax or the Z.E.D? In addition, if you have a set of early '90s tires that are good enough to race Keyesville on, that you would part with, (any flavor) please let me know. I'm not married to the idea of running Ritchey tires, it just seems appropriate. Thanks.

#5 ·
Question for ritchey_dave and all the other vintagephiles. I'm seriously considering doing Keyesville next year on my P-21.
I've raced there for 9 of the last 11 years. The trails are generally hard pack with a smattering of embedded granite rocks to keep you on your toes. Any tire that gives you good traction on hardpack, combined with enough volume to keep to keep the ride smooth(ish) will work fine.

The only tires that I've found that do poorly are super narrow sub-2.0 tires. There are enough rocks that these pinch flat pretty easily. Otherwise it's personal preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.