mtbr member

Upset Ritchey Stem Knock off

I bought a Ritchey Stem on ebay from a seller that has a good reputation. However, after receiving it, it does not look to be the quality of the other Ritchey I already have. The mechanics of the part look exactly the same. However, the letters just look inferior. Also, some of the paint is rubbing off in my hand. And the finish does not look exactly up to the quality of the stem I already have.

I think its a knock off. It was not that much cheaper than buying from Ritchey directly. This is what bothers me. If it was a cheap knock off, thats one thing. But to sell it full price like its legit bothers me.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed some Ritchey stems that look like they could be knock-offs?

pedal pusher
    Did you buy it from Bikeman(.com) by any chance? I bought a pair of matching Ritchey stems from them a couple years back, only to find the steerer clamps were uneven, and the rest of the stem had sharp edges. I contacted Ritchey, and they said they sound like knock-offs.

Bikeman accepted the return, and I vowed never to do business with them again. I see them selling lots of stuff on eBay, and I won't touch any of it.

AZ
    banned
    There is a bunch of Ritchey knockoff stuff , seems to be getting worse . I wont buy any Ritchey stuff on the interweb .

banned
    I just don't buy ANYTHING from e-scam.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    I just don't buy ANYTHING from e-scam.
    Whatever, man. I buy tons of bike parts on eBay, and I've never been scammed. My bad experience with Bikeman was on their website.

I AM I AM
    I've always been weary of buying new stuff off ebay, it's either people sourcing it from places that are known to sell it cheaper (ie CRC etc) and re-selling at a profit, or they're knock offfs or perhaps OEM versions.

Probably because my first ever ebay experience was buying Oakley Sunglasses that were knock offs and yet the seller swore black and blue that they were genuine.

Hopefully you can at least return the item you brought.

In saying all that I do use ebay, occasionally make a well informed / researched purchase buy mostly selling my bike stuff. Funny enough I've probably brought more stuff via mtb forums rather than ebay,
    Last edited by ducktape; 05-29-2010 at 06:15 PM.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Also, the fakes' stem bolts strip-out the second they become tight. Let's keep a running account of the bogus eBay sellers, please!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Life on a Sandbar
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Whatever, man. I buy tons of bike parts on eBay, and I've never been scammed. My bad experience with Bikeman was on their website.

It is not a once in a blue moon thing, fella', plenty of people habe been e-scammed, and if the percentage of scams was the same , say with Jenson USA, or any other online retailer, many wouldn't buy their also. Lighten up "man", it's just not your turn yet.

mtbr member
    I bought it from abaxo. However, I took the stem to an "official" Ritchey dealer I located through the Ritchey website. He brought out a stem that looked exactly like mine. I guess that means its not a knock off. Or it means the "official" dealer is also selling knock-offs.

Could be that Ritchey contracte these out to some other manufacturer. I don't know, but they do not have the same quality as my other stems.

You can see the newer stem is not painted on the inside. The paint is glossy and was rubbing off on my hand. No torque information is listed. The casting or molding job seems poor.

Well, you're comparing two very different model stems there. Ritchey has been contracting out stuff for a very long time (as do many).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

too cold to ride
    I've bought from abaxo before (more than once) and have never doubted the authenticity of the products.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

pedal pusher
    Yep, Abaxo has always sent me great stuff. The cheap paint still has me wondering about whether that's an authentic Ritchey product, though.

Its got what plants crave
    Adjustable stem.. why?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Bike Dork
    What you're comparing is a retail product to an OE product. The adjustable stem is an official product just not intended to be sold on the retail market.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The lettering on real Ritchey stems flakes off very easily in my experience, I doubt yours is a knockoff

mtbr member
    I got the adjustable because my upper back is hurting. This happens on all my bikes. So I need to find the right fit that works for me. The adjustable will get me there without buying 5-6 stems. Once I find the right setting, I'll take the adjustable off and replace it with a permanent.

Both of these products are listed on the Ritchey website and are available aftermarket. I agree thought that in the auto industry, aftermarket is much lower quality than OEM. Maybe the adjustable is only aftermarket. Shame.

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

Defective Ritchey stems

Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Did you buy it from Bikeman(.com) by any chance? I bought a pair of matching Ritchey stems from them a couple years back, only to find the steerer clamps were uneven, and the rest of the stem had sharp edges. I contacted Ritchey, and they said they sound like knock-offs.

Bikeman accepted the return, and I vowed never to do business with them again. I see them selling lots of stuff on eBay, and I won't touch any of it.

I'd like to set the record straight here.....

1. Just to be clear, I own and run Bikeman.com/ Bath Cycle and Ski.

2. We source our Ritchey components from QBP, one of the most ethical and honest parts distributors in the world. Odd as it souinds, we don't have the time to call nefarious Chinese black marketers in the middle of the night to rip riders off with counterfeit goods.

3. Believe it or not, we're not really excited about eating the shipping charges both ways on a defective product, eating the credit card charges on the charge and the return, dealing with processing the return, and finally, the hassle of returning the product to our supplier.

4. We've been in business for 34 years, and doing mail order for 17 years. We have a good reputation for treating people fairly.

5. Apparently you received a defective component. It happens, even with top notch companies like Ritchey. I'm sorry that it happened, but that is life sometimes...

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.bikeman.com /Bath Cycle and Ski

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mainemud
    I'd like to set the record straight here.....

1. Just to be clear, I own and run Bikeman.com/ Bath Cycle and Ski.

2. We source our Ritchey components from QBP, one of the most ethical and honest parts distributors in the world. Odd as it souinds, we don't have the time to call nefarious Chinese black marketers in the middle of the night to rip riders off with counterfeit goods.

3. Believe it or not, we're not really excited about eating the shipping charges both ways on a defective product, eating the credit card charges on the charge and the return, dealing with processing the return, and finally, the hassle of returning the product to our supplier.

4. We've been in business for 34 years, and doing mail order for 17 years. We have a good reputation for treating people fairly.

5. Apparently you received a defective component. It happens, even with top notch companies like Ritchey. I'm sorry that it happened, but that is life sometimes...

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.bikeman.com /Bath Cycle and Ski

To be fair, the consumer is not all that excited about having to eat those shipping charges either, which in many cases, are inflated. When a consumer pays, say, $10.00 or more for an item, such as a headset to be shipped, only to find that the headset is the wrong color, he in most cases is out the $10.00 shipping charge on a return; add the return cost, which in reality may be $5.00, then that great deal ends up costing the consumer $15.00 or more, with no headset in hand. It's a two way street, Bikeman, and that has to be considered when dealing on the internet, and even more so when dealing with brickless and mortarless e-bay sights.

My belief is that the seller should always eat the shipping charges, both ways, if the item sold is no way representative of the item advertised, whether it be used, defective, or perhaps a knockoff. It is the seller's responsibility to convey such information, and guarantee in writing exactly what the product is, and if it's OEM or packaged for retail, and in the case of frames, that the frame is not just a new frame, but that it was not a complete bike before, and stripped of its components and sold as a "new" frame.

I'm sure if a online retailer swears that these anomalies are just that, rare occurances, then having to "eat" those shipping charges should not be a big deal, since it's a "rare" occurance. It's when a retailer argues the point of shipping costs not being a part of the refund or exchange process, that my suspicions get aroused.

Food for thought.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    I agree thought that in the auto industry, aftermarket is much lower quality than OEM. Maybe the adjustable is only aftermarket. Shame.
    Generalization. Depends on the OEM, the aftermarket manufacturer, and the part.