Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs View Post
    Hello Dave (and all). What is the max rear tire size for the 2015 P-650B? Thanks much!
    Definitely 2.25. You can probably get away with larger but it depends on factors beyond what I can assume. See if your shop will let you try before you buy.
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Commando

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey_dave View Post
    Hey Mike,
    They're finally here. Contact your local bike shop to special order one.
    I got mine

It's awesome. Handles and feels a lot like my p650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I run a 2.1 on mine. I've tried a 2.3.... it fits but tight, a 2.2 its ok but make sure your spokes are nice and tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Dave (and others). Dave, I'm interested in buying the 2015 P-650B frame (size 17). Any advice on how to purchase? The Ritchey website still says "coming soon." Thank you!

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs View Post
    Thanks Dave (and others). Dave, I'm interested in buying the 2015 P-650B frame (size 17). Any advice on how to purchase? The Ritchey website still says "coming soon." Thank you!
    They're available now. I'll have the website changed, but you can special order it from any of our authorized retailers. Plus online retailers like Excel Sports, Bikewagon, Performance and Bicycle Doctor USA can all sell one to you as well.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Hi Dave,

I just received my 2014 P29 frame from Wiggle, and they forgot the dropout bolts and set screws for the sliding dropouts. I've asked Wiggle to send me new stuff, but in case they don't, do you know the screw size for the set screws? I happen to have some Paragon Machine Works bolts to attach the sliders, I just need to replace the set screws. I figure my hardware store probably has something.

Thanks,

Eric

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Hi Dave,

I just received my 2014 P29 frame from Wiggle, and they forgot the dropout bolts and set screws for the sliding dropouts. I've asked Wiggle to send me new stuff, but in case they don't, do you know the screw size for the set screws? I happen to have some Paragon Machine Works bolts to attach the sliders, I just need to replace the set screws. I figure my hardware store probably has something.

Thanks,

Eric
    M5x35 hex bolt is what you need.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks!

M5x35 hex bolt is what you need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Dave. Shopping around for a wheelset that will fit the 2015 P650B. I'm somewhat new to all these different sized rear hubs/axles - what size rear hub do I need to fit the 2015 P650B? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Finished my built last weekend, P-650 is great, thanks @ all the Ritchey folks.

Last edited by Sentilo; 08-11-2015 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dave - I have a 2015 P-29er coming my way to build.
    Can you please confirm the headset sizing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

P-29er question w/ carbon fork

Hi Ritchey Rep,

Well, long time Ritchey admirer and happily first time owner. Hate to disappoint all, but it is not a vintage one, but will be in 30 yrs. I am not a "rich" man (a lowly geologist), but after much searching found this P-29er on craigslist being sold by a too busy and expecting doctor, it was divine and I picked it up for an astonishing $1,500 (my max range). So far it has been nothing but love.

In any case, I have question. I am running a Niner carbon fork with SRAM XX1 disc brake set and I notice that I get a good amount of "chatter" on the front brake when I apply moderate to heavy force. Is this something related to the carbon front fork being too flexible, brakes or rotors? I do love the feel and give of the Niner carbon, I would hate to get rid of it and even more so pay for an alternative. Any suggestions or thoughts??

Many thanks and best to you allRitchey Rep here to answer all you questions-img_0027.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi All
    I Have been looking at 29er Frames & have found a P29-er in my size but see differences on the frame's finishing on the 'P29' Decal & the slider dropouts.

1/ The P29 Decal on the Top Tube seems further back on the frame than early models.
    2/ The Slider dropouts have a white finish to the frame, rather than the raw steel. Is this a minor update to the rusting that people spoke about in this thread?

Would like to check just to ensure I'm not buying a copy.
    Thanks!

Big wheels keep on rollin
    Dave ( and anyone who knows). Just got a new Ritchey Commando. I'm using a SRAM X5 2 x 10 crankset and need a front derailleur. The Commando page online says to use a low clamp top pull derailleur. Will a standard front derailleur like an X9 top pull low clamp work with the the 100 mm X5 crankset?

mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi Claret,

Not sure if you got a response, but my slider drop-outs have a white finish as well (only on the exterior), not sure about your decal question, but check other P-29er pics on here. I know my P-29er is the real thing.

Good luck and I'm very satisfied with mine so far...

mtbr member
    For the Commando, how long is the fork, and what is the disc spacing (front disc spaced or rear disc spaced)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ritchey Dave - No longer Ritchey perhaps????

Seat Post torque would be good for my P-29er please.....

Big wheels keep on rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    For the Commando, how long is the fork, and what is the disc spacing (front disc spaced or rear disc spaced)?
    the fork is 445 a to c. The bike uses 135 front and 170 rear, both QR.

mike

mtbr member
    Ritchey Commando fork

Anybody know if I can buy just the fork and not the frame?
    Is that a 135mm rear hub it takes?

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Ritchey Commando fork

Anybody know if I can buy just the fork and not the frame?
    Is that a 135mm rear hub it takes?
    We do not sell the fork on its own. Just frame and fork together. The frame has a rear spacing of 170mm.
    Dave Law

Vuk
    Katastrophentourist
    Feb 2016
    Hi Dave:

A few questions if you allow concerning a fresh build of Break-Away Ascent Frameset size M/17.5":

- What is the right type of derailleur for this frame, down-swing or top-swing for a Shimano XT FC-M782 Hollowtech II 22-30-40 crankset?
    - Maximum disc size front and rear only 160mm or is bigger possible i.e. what is the maximum each?
    - Wheel front spacing 100mm and rear spacing is 135mm? [edit: 135 not 130, sorry typo]
    - What is contained in the kit except frame, fork, inset and bottom hinge clamp?

Thanks so much!!
    Last edited by Vuk; 02-14-2016 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Hi Dave:

A few questions if you allow concerning a fresh build of Break-Away Ascent Frameset size M/17.5":

- What is the right type of derailleur for this frame, down-swing or top-swing for a Shimano XT FC-M782 Hollowtech II 22-30-40 crankset?
    - Maximum disc size front and rear only 160mm or is bigger possible i.e. what is the maximum each?
    - Wheel front spacing 100mm and rear spacing is 135mm? [edit: 135 not 130, sorry typo]
    - What is contained in the kit except frame, fork, inset and bottom hinge clamp?

Thanks so much!!

I used a top swing on mine, although I can't see there being any issues with the a down-swing.

160mm

Yep.

cable disconnects, padding, travel case, and headset.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Dave:

I am looking for a Ti Cross Breakaway; I did not realize it was being discontinued. I may have located a NOS 2014. Were there changes made to this frame since the 2014 model? Was the lower coupler redesigned?

Thanks,

Dan

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by djm323 View Post
    Dave:

I am looking for a Ti Cross Breakaway; I did not realize it was being discontinued. I may have located a NOS 2014. Were there changes made to this frame since the 2014 model? Was the lower coupler redesigned?

Thanks,

Dan

Glad to hear you're considering a Ritchey. There hasn't been any changes in that frame from 2014 onward. That should be the most current version.
    Dave Law

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Glad to hear you're considering a Ritchey. There hasn't been any changes in that frame from 2014 onward. That should be the most current version.
    Thanks for the quick response, Dave. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Ead
    Last edited by guvna; 04-13-2016 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

199 Ritchey NiTi build

Hello there gang,

OK, I know she's not truly vintage (though it's up for debate), but I got a good deal on a bare/NOS 1999 Ritchey NiTi (nitanium) frame and have been building her up with some, but not all period parts. I'm getting close, but still have a lot of the fine details to finish (front/back derailleur adjustment etc.) I also ordered the nice panel Ritchey NiTi decals from Gil (he did great work on my 91' Bontrager decals). In either case, I've heard mixed reviews on the handling of the NiTi, any one out there care to comment, give their thoughts?

Build (1999 M NiTi frame)\
    Full 1999 XT with XTR canti brakes and rear derailleur
    Wheels XT hubs, Mavic 517 SUP rims (great deal on em!)
    Ritchey WCS riser bars (had to since I'm 6 ft and the bikes a touch small)
    Thompson post
    chris King HS
    Odd Surly Big Dummy fork (tough to find a canti, 80 mm corrected fork for my budget, we'll see about this one.

So, that's her, I'm having surgery in a couple weeks and built her as inspiration to heal quickly and get on it for the spring/summer.

Any one that has experience riding one of these? BTW, even with the 3x9 she still comes in around 22.5 lbs, handling is my concern.

Cheers to all and ride on, it'll be a wet one here in the Bay Area...Ritchey Rep here to answer all you questions-img_0126.jpg

Ritchey Rep here to answer all you questions-img_0131_try.jpgRitchey Rep here to answer all you questions-img_0130.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hiyas

Already own a Swiss Cross Disc and have been looking at the P-650b and Timberwolf as a MTB hard tail / bike packing machine.

Love certain elements about both.

Just wanted to ask:
    Can you run the 650b with a 120mm fork?
    Can you run the Timberwolf with a 120 or 130 fork?

Thanks

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo1095 View Post
    Hiyas

Already own a Swiss Cross Disc and have been looking at the P-650b and Timberwolf as a MTB hard tail / bike packing machine.

Love certain elements about both.

Just wanted to ask:
    Can you run the 650b with a 120mm fork?
    Can you run the Timberwolf with a 120 or 130 fork?

Thanks
    The 650b no, 100mm travel max.
    The Timberwolf is designed to work with a 140mm travel fork, so yeah, it would work with a 120 or 130.
    Cheers.
    Nyk

Formerly of Kent
    @Ritchey_Guy/Nyk,

Do you guys have any plans to offer a stem similar to the Syntace FlatForce?
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchey_Guy View Post
    The 650b no, 100mm travel max.
    The Timberwolf is designed to work with a 140mm travel fork, so yeah, it would work with a 120 or 130.
    Cheers.
    Thanks for the information Nyk appreciated, makes my decision making process a bit easier.
    With regards to the Timberwolf, do you know how much it would change the reach and head angle by if you went with a 120mm fork?

Thanks in advance

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo1095 View Post
    Thanks for the information Nyk appreciated, makes my decision making process a bit easier.
    With regards to the Timberwolf, do you know how much it would change the reach and head angle by if you went with a 120mm fork?

Thanks in advance
    The bike is designed for a 140mm fork. You can almost count on a loss or gain of .5 degrees for every 10mm of travel you remove or add. So, the head tube angle with a 140mm is 67 degrees so going down 20mm brings you to roughly 66, so you just have to accommodate for that in different ways.
    Nyk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hi from.spain. Some can tell me any adapter to put tapered fork in my ritchey p29(blue -red-white)with original diameter 1/8?Thanks

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by ostas View Post
    Hi from.spain. Some can tell me any adapter to put tapered fork in my ritchey p29(blue -red-white)with original diameter 1/8?Thanks
    There is currently no adapter for a tapered fork and an integrated cup straight steerer. X-Fusion still makes a straight steerer XC fork : Trace RL2
    Nyk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

mtbr member

carbon seat post on a breakaway bike?

Is it a good idea to use a carbon seat post on a breakaway bike?
    It is a Dahon Ritchey Flo. I do a little back woods touring on it. I have not yet ordered a carbon post. I would consider ordering a titanium post instead. Or a ???, something. My case weighs 17 pounds. That allows 33 pounds for bike, tools, gear, lock, (yes lock). I am thinking of lightening my bike a little. Some carbon parts might help. Seat post, stem, bars, maybe some xtr brakes.

I just got a Fox float fork. So I need a new 15mm front wheel. I am not sure how a carbon rim would fare in the case. I may order the new Stan´s flow 29mm internal width. I might get a light bicycle carbon rim.

My question is about trusting carbon with the airline monkey, or in the back woods, or stacked in the 26 x 26 case. I have not yet ordered the upgrade parts.

If that is to many ??? marks. How about just this.
    Does the breakaway system add additional stress that would shorten the life of a carbon post?

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Is it a good idea to use a carbon seat post on a breakaway bike?
    It is a Dahon Ritchey Flo. I do a little back woods touring on it. I have not yet ordered a carbon post. I would consider ordering a titanium post instead. Or a ???, something. My case weighs 17 pounds. That allows 33 pounds for bike, tools, gear, lock, (yes lock). I am thinking of lightening my bike a little. Some carbon parts might help. Seat post, stem, bars, maybe some xtr brakes.

I just got a Fox float fork. So I need a new 15mm front wheel. I am not sure how a carbon rim would fare in the case. I may order the new Stan´s flow 29mm internal width. I might get a light bicycle carbon rim.

My question is about trusting carbon with the airline monkey, or in the back woods, or stacked in the 26 x 26 case. I have not yet ordered the upgrade parts.

If that is to many ??? marks. How about just this.
    Does the breakaway system add additional stress that would shorten the life of a carbon post?
    Well the short answer is no, a BAB bike does not shorten the life expectancy of a carbon seat post. That being said, wheel would be the best place to shave weight, the difference between a carbon post and an aluminum post are going to be pretty nominal (probably around a .10% of a lb difference). I can't speak for airline employees either, but the force it would take to damage carbon inside the case, would damage any material.
    Hope this helps!
    Nyk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I recently got a good deal on a Ritchey P-29er. Really a great bike. I've noticed though that the bolts (all 4 of them) securing the rear dropouts have started to rust. Also, there were no slider adjuster bolts in the bike. What are the sizes of the bolts for the dropouts and slider adjustable bolts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm pretty disappointed in the Ritchey website/cs team. I emailed in using the form over a week ago asking for further information on the heritage paint program; namely timelines involved, and I never heard back.

Stephen
    Hi, I emailed the webpage but this might be a better way to ask the question. So... I'm about to order a P29 as a bikepacking/Brevet bike. The plan is to put XTR Di 2 on with Jones H bar etc. will the di2 work or is there something I overlooking as far as you can tell. The plan is tig weld some extra water bottle brackets, light wheels dyno hub... Thanks, Stephen.
    !!!!!!!!! Replied to my email..awesome service..thanks!!!
    Last edited by Himself; 06-25-2016 at 09:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Timberwolf question. I know it says a 2.4 is the max 27.5 tire, but I'm curious if anyone has tried a larger 27.5+ tire, like a 2.8? Or maybe a better question is what rear tires have people tried on their Timberwolf's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Long time fan of Tom Ritchey since the 80's!!! Where is Ritchey Design Inc. to answer questions? I just purchased two different mountain frames online at ritcheydesign.com and posted a technical question the proper way at the same website weeks ago. Never heard a thing..... Whats up? Where's the support?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Ritchey Rep here to answer all you questions-image2.jpgRitchey Rep here to answer all you questions-image3.jpg
    Hi Ritchey Rep,
    I own this p29er frame (1st release 2012 model), purchased 2 years ago from an authorized dealer in Italy; keep on wondering about the noticeable asymmetry of the rear upper stays - see pictures. You can spot the difference in clearance from one side to another, whereas it seems the wheel is much better aligned with the lower stays. I have discussed this with LBS several times, they have checked both sliding dropouts alignment and rear wheel trueing, and all seemed to be fine;eventually LBS explained that a local Ritchey agent told them that this asymmetry is the normal frame design. Can you confirm this? Back in 2012, I have owned another identical frame (exact same model and size- 19'')- which if i well recall showed the same asymmetry.Many thanks. Francesco

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Dave,

What is the current warehouse availability of a 15" 650b frameset?
    Thanks,
    -Pete

mtbr member
    Hi Dave, wondering if you're able to provide an expected release date for the new Alpine JB gravel tyres?

In desperate need for new tyres and these look perfect!!

Thanks in advance

Ritchey Design Rep
    I think we are looking at early 2017.
    Nyk

Ritchey Design Rep
    We have pretty solid stock.
    Cheers
    Nyk

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco79 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	1082037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1082038
    Hi Ritchey Rep,
    I own this p29er frame (1st release 2012 model), purchased 2 years ago from an authorized dealer in Italy; keep on wondering about the noticeable asymmetry of the rear upper stays - see pictures. You can spot the difference in clearance from one side to another, whereas it seems the wheel is much better aligned with the lower stays. I have discussed this with LBS several times, they have checked both sliding dropouts alignment and rear wheel trueing, and all seemed to be fine;eventually LBS explained that a local Ritchey agent told them that this asymmetry is the normal frame design. Can you confirm this? Back in 2012, I have owned another identical frame (exact same model and size- 19'')- which if i well recall showed the same asymmetry.Many thanks. Francesco
    I'm not sure I am going to be able to get you a clear answer, but I'll do some digging.
    Thanks.
    Nyk

mtbr member
    Hi Ritchey_Guy,
    Any idea whether the Road Logic frameset will ever be available in the same red color as the SwissCross?
    I love that red, but want a road frame!

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Hi Ritchey_Guy,
    Any idea whether the Road Logic frameset will ever be available in the same red color as the SwissCross?
    I love that red, but want a road frame!
    I don't see us ever offering the road logic in that read, but never say never!
    Nyk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast