• 11-06-2014
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guvna View Post
    Hey Dave, Will the p-29 accept xx1 crank with 156Q ?
    thanks

Yes!
  • 11-06-2014
    Hdpearson13
    Dave thank you allot. Great customer service I'll have many more ritchey products. I got it off with and old set of valve lash gauges I have from work. thousands at a time. I asked many people but you had the answers I appreciate your help.
  • 11-13-2014
    koudja
    Dave,

On the p29 (2014) geo chart it says the head tube can accept a tapered steer tube. However, everything I've read says these frames are only 1 1/8 straight and under the tech section it refers to a 1 1/8 headset. Could you clear this up for me? Thanks!
  • 12-02-2014
    senor_mikey
    Hi Dave, really anxious to get a new Commando. Do you have an estimate when they will be out on the market to buy?

And does it really have a 68mm BB shell?

mike
  • 12-02-2014
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koudja View Post
    Dave,

On the p29 (2014) geo chart it says the head tube can accept a tapered steer tube. However, everything I've read says these frames are only 1 1/8 straight and under the tech section it refers to a 1 1/8 headset. Could you clear this up for me? Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. The new 2015 P-29er has a tapered head tube, the model before it has a straight 1 1/8" head tube. We're currently still selling the none tapered version. The 2015 model should arrive mid-February. Easy way to tell which one your buying: Red/white/blue color scheme = straight 1 1/8", black/yellow color scheme = tapered.
  • 12-02-2014
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    Hi Dave, really anxious to get a new Commando. Do you have an estimate when they will be out on the market to buy?

And does it really have a 68mm BB shell?

mike

Hi Mike!
    Glad to hear you're considering our Commando frame for your next build. We're expecting them mid-February. The BB is actually 100mm. 68mm was a typo. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
  • 12-27-2014
    ejr13
    Hey ritchey_dave,

Thanks for the ability to ask you questions. If I change the slider on a 2014 p-29 can I run a 142x12 wheel?
    Thanks,
    Eric
  • 12-28-2014
    sguiom
    Dear Dave,

I am interested in the P-29 frame for XC marathon racing.

On ritchey website, the geometry seems to be given for a 475 mm axle to crown fork, which does not correspond to a 100 mm fork (or if it is, with a 30% SAG, which is unusual).

So my question is, does the geometry given on the website is really for a 475 mm for or not ? If it is, the head and seat angles for an unsag 100 mm fork are more 68.6 and 71.6 rather than 70/73, which changes everything ...

Thank you and sorry if my english is poor ...
  • 01-05-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ejr13 View Post
    Hey ritchey_dave,

Thanks for the ability to ask you questions. If I change the slider on a 2014 p-29 can I run a 142x12 wheel?
    Thanks,
    Eric

I've never tried it, but supposedly Paragon makes a slider that will work. If they do, it should work.
  • 01-05-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sguiom View Post
    Dear Dave,

I am interested in the P-29 frame for XC marathon racing.

On ritchey website, the geometry seems to be given for a 475 mm axle to crown fork, which does not correspond to a 100 mm fork (or if it is, with a 30% SAG, which is unusual).

So my question is, does the geometry given on the website is really for a 475 mm for or not ? If it is, the head and seat angles for an unsag 100 mm fork are more 68.6 and 71.6 rather than 70/73, which changes everything ...

Thank you and sorry if my english is poor ...

Not totally following your question, but the frame is designed for 100mm travel forks with a 25-30% sag. I'm not sure where you're getting the 475mm measurement.
  • 01-05-2015
    sguiom
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ritchey_dave View Post
    Not totally following your question, but the frame is designed for 100mm travel forks with a 25-30% sag. I'm not sure where you're getting the 475mm measurement.

I found the axle to crown measurement on the geometry picture on ritchey website :
    Ritchey P-29er Mountain Bike Frame - Black/Hi-Vis Yellow

So my question is : Are the measurements of the geometry given in your website corresponding to a 100 mm fork corrected with 30% sag (i.e. 475 mm fork length), or corresponding to a fully extended 100 mm fork (i.e. 505 mm) ?

Hope its clearer.
  • 01-05-2015
    ritchey_dave
    It's designed around a 100mm fork with sag.
  • 01-05-2015
    senor_mikey
    Quote:

Hi Mike!
    Glad to hear you're considering our Commando frame for your next build. We're expecting them mid-February. The BB is actually 100mm. 68mm was a typo. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

thanks for the info Dave. Just curious.... will there be any extra water bottle mounts on the new Commando, like under the downtube or on the fork?

thanks
    mike
  • 01-07-2015
    sguiom
    Quote:

It's designed around a 100mm fork with sag.

Thank you very much four your answer Dave.

Any idea of the frame weight in XL ?
  • 01-07-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

thanks for the info Dave. Just curious.... will there be any extra water bottle mounts on the new Commando, like under the downtube or on the fork?

thanks
    mike

Hi Mike,
    Just on the top of the downtube and the seatube. I'll see if it's something we can consider for the next generation.
  • 01-07-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sguiom View Post
    Thank you very much four your answer Dave.

Any idea of the frame weight in XL ?

Just the weight of a large, which is 2,150g.
  • 01-11-2015
    Erhar
    Hello ritchey-dave,
    i'd like a little help because I am confused.
    I own a cannondale bad boy 700 2010 model. The headtube is 1 1/8 and headset is a cane creek zs (semi integrated). The fork i'm using is the ritchey wcs carbon disk mtb fork with axle to crown distance 410mm and crown diameter 50mm which is flash with the headtube (same diameter).
    What i'd like to know is if the headtube-headset of my bike is compatible with the new ritchey wcs carbon disk cross fork. O.k both the fork and the headtube-headset are 1 1/8 straight steerer but I read that the new ritchey wcs carbon disk cross fork is compatible with standard and integrated headsets. This means that it's not compatible with semi integrated headsets?
    The crown diameter is 45 mm which means that it is smaller than my headtube's diameter which is 50mm.
    But what seems to be the real problem is that the fork has an integrated 45 degree crown race which means that in any case I have to replace my headset with one which has bearings 45X45.
    From what I've seen the Richey Superlogic press fit 1 1/8 headset must fit all the above specs, right?
    In other words using this headset is the fork compatible with my frame-head tube or it can only be used with integrated and standard headsets?
    Thanks in advance for your answer.
  • 01-21-2015
    buffalo dave
    Hi ritchey_dave, I've always admired the breakaway frames. I'm curious to know if 2015 is bringing any changes -specifically with the ti cross version (tapered headtube, disc brakes, new fork, etc.). Also, I want to confirm that all breakaways come with the travel case & padding.

Thanks!

Buffalo Dave
  • 01-22-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalo dave View Post
    Hi ritchey_dave, I've always admired the breakaway frames. I'm curious to know if 2015 is bringing any changes -specifically with the ti cross version (tapered headtube, disc brakes, new fork, etc.). Also, I want to confirm that all breakaways come with the travel case & padding.

Thanks!

Buffalo Dave

There currently isn't any plans to change that frame kit. All our Breakaway frames come with a travel case, padding, Torque Key, cable disconnects, fork, and headset.
  • 01-25-2015
    Erhar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Erhar View Post
    Hello ritchey-dave,
    i'd like a little help because I am confused.
    I own a cannondale bad boy 700 2010 model. The headtube is 1 1/8 and headset is a cane creek zs (semi integrated). The fork i'm using is the ritchey wcs carbon disk mtb fork with axle to crown distance 410mm and crown diameter 50mm which is flash with the headtube (same diameter).
    What i'd like to know is if the headtube-headset of my bike is compatible with the new ritchey wcs carbon disk cross fork. O.k both the fork and the headtube-headset are 1 1/8 straight steerer but I read that the new ritchey wcs carbon disk cross fork is compatible with standard and integrated headsets. This means that it's not compatible with semi integrated headsets?
    The crown diameter is 45 mm which means that it is smaller than my headtube's diameter which is 50mm.
    But what seems to be the real problem is that the fork has an integrated 45 degree crown race which means that in any case I have to replace my headset with one which has bearings 45X45.
    From what I've seen the Richey Superlogic press fit 1 1/8 headset must fit all the above specs, right?
    In other words using this headset is the fork compatible with my frame-head tube or it can only be used with integrated and standard headsets?

Any news for me?
  • 01-26-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Erhar View Post
    Any news for me?

It'll work, however the geometry on the two forks are different, so make sure you're taking into consideration, and understand, it'll obviously handle differently. As far as, how it'll look, you'll see a couple millimeter difference on either side, but it won't affect the functionality of the bike.
  • 01-26-2015
    Erhar
    Thank you very much Dave for your answer.
    When you say that the geometry is different you mean the axle to crown distance which is 1.4 cm lower in the cx fork, is that right? This will make the bicycle more direct and precise when cornering I assume, or do you think that it affects it in another way too?
    As far as how it will look, you mean a couple of mm difference due to the fact that the head tube has a 50mm diameter while the crown of the fork has 45 mm diameter, correct? I suppose that this difference will be hardly visible.
    If there is something that I haven't thought and you believe that I should take into consideration please inform me.
  • 01-27-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Yes, the axel to crown (-14mm) and the rake (-3mm) differ. As to how it'll change the ride characteristics, I can't say. Someone who understands your bike geometry and setup would be better suited to answer that question. And yeah, the difference between 50mm headtube diameter and the 45mm crown diameter of the fork will result in about 2.5mm over hang.
  • 01-27-2015
    Erhar
    Quote:

Yes, the axel to crown (-14mm) and the rake (-3mm) differ. As to how it'll change the ride characteristics, I can't say. Someone who understands your bike geometry and setup would be better suited to answer that question. And yeah, the difference between 50mm headtube diameter and the 45mm crown diameter of the fork will result in about 2.5mm over hang.

Thank you vey much for your accurate and immediate answer. To tell you the truth you got me a little worried about the change of handling of my bike with the axle to crown length difference (395mm instead of 409mm). I thought that it's not significant so as to cause a huge change of my bike's behavior.
    Actually this 14mm difference is practically less because 45mm rake gives the fork a more standing position compared to the 48mm rake of my current ritchey fork don't you think?
    By the way isn't the Ritchey Superlogic press fit 1 1/8 headset the right one for my semi integrated headtube if I decide to install the new cx disk fork?
    Again thank you very much for your immediate answer.
  • 01-29-2015
    blilrat
    Has a release date been made for the Timberwolf? I'm building up a hardtail this year and the Timberwolf is a sharp looking frame.
  • 02-01-2015
    Ian037
    Hi Dave

Is it possible to get the 2015 p29er with the tapered head tube in the red, white and blue colours?

Thanks
  • 02-03-2015
    trek4fun
    Hi Dave,
    Been a fan of Ritchey bikes since 82. My first Ritchey was an 84ish Ascent and cost me my entire summer savings.

Ordered my first 29er the P-29er 2014 model. I am a cross-country rider who spends a lot of miles in the saddle, 60-100 miles per ride mostly on forest service roads or fire roads. I love steel, but am wondering is this going to be too race oriented, causing me to flatten out? That's sort of annoying on long rides. I am 5'10" with a 32 inseam and purchased a 19-inch large.

Was planning on a 100mm Reba shock but thinking a 120mm might be better for posture on long rides. What do you think? Is the 19 the right choice and which fork size best?

Thank you for you time and commitment to this thread.
  • 02-04-2015
    wareagleguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trek4fun View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Been a fan of Ritchey bikes since 82. My first Ritchey was an 84ish Ascent and cost me my entire summer savings.

Ordered my first 29er the P-29er 2014 model. I am a cross-country rider who spends a lot of miles in the saddle, 60-100 miles per ride mostly on forest service roads or fire roads. I love steel, but am wondering is this going to be too race oriented, causing me to flatten out? That's sort of annoying on long rides. I am 5'10" with a 32 inseam and purchased a 19-inch large.

Was planning on a 100mm Reba shock but thinking a 120mm might be better for posture on long rides. What do you think? Is the 19 the right choice and which fork size best?

I'm about the same size/same height and sounds like your riding is like how I'd like my riding to be if I'd more ride time. :) I just got a P-29er frame and am going with a 100mm fork...but will probably go with a rizer bar instead of a flat.
  • 02-17-2015
    sbsbiker
    HI Dave, I'm interested in the new carbon bullmoose handlebar, and wondering about availability. Are these in the USA yet, and can I start bugging my LBS to get one? My new Moots frame is done, and we are just waiting on Shimano to ship my XTR, it's all supposed to be in processing, Where, or when can I get the carbon bullmoose?
  • 02-23-2015
    crides
    Hello!
    I have a 1993 Bridgestone MB-1 that had the original stem replaced at some point with a longer one. I would like to restore the bike with an original size stem. Is it possible to purchase an original stem? Thanks!
  • 02-23-2015
    sbsbiker
    NO answers from Dave in 3 weeks, I wonder if he is all right?
  • 04-27-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian037 View Post
    Hi Dave

Is it possible to get the 2015 p29er with the tapered head tube in the red, white and blue colours?

Thanks

Sort of, you can get of our new tapered versions and have Rick over at D&D ((510)278-2976) repaint and decal it. Rick has been our go-to for paint for a long time. He has all our decals and does beautiful work.

Sorry for the late reply.
  • 04-27-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trek4fun View Post
    Hi Dave,

Sorry for the late reply. As far as long rides, the P-29er is a fine choice. We're all about epic rides here, especially Tom and if it can't handle that then it's not fit to have the Ritchey name on the downtube. If you're talking fit, that's hard to say. I look for a good bike shop in your area and talk to them about it. With your dimensions, ride preference, and a list of the parts you're planning on using, they can give you a better idea of how it'll feel.

As far as fork, the frame is designed for a 100mm travel fork. It'll change the ride characteristic with anything more.
  • 04-27-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    HI Dave, I'm interested in the new carbon bullmoose handlebar, and wondering about availability. Are these in the USA yet, and can I start bugging my LBS to get one? My new Moots frame is done, and we are just waiting on Shimano to ship my XTR, it's all supposed to be in processing, Where, or when can I get the carbon bullmoose?

Sorry again for the late reply. They're in stock, and ready for your local bike shop to pimp your ride!

• 04-27-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crides View Post
    Hello!
    I have a 1993 Bridgestone MB-1 that had the original stem replaced at some point with a longer one. I would like to restore the bike with an original size stem. Is it possible to purchase an original stem? Thanks!

Sorry, we don't make those anymore. You best bet is to look on eBay. I occasionally see NOS Ritchey stems on there.
  • 04-29-2015
    sbsbiker
    Quote:

Sorry again for the late reply. They're in stock, and ready for your local bike shop to pimp your ride!

Thanks for getting back to me.
  • 04-30-2015
    kand
    Hi All,

Whats the widest tire that 2012 Swiss Cross will accept?

thanks
  • 04-30-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kand View Post
    Hi All,

Whats the widest tire that 2012 Swiss Cross will accept?

thanks

35 for sure. Tires up to 40, possibly but I can't guarantee it. Tire size variance between manufactures can be widely different (pun not intended).
  • 05-05-2015
    chrisx
    I am looking at a Ritchey breakaway dahon flo. Frame only
    Is the breakaway system strong enough to use on a mountain bike? the bike came with a 100mm rockshox sid. What non suspension fork would be a good replacement? I mean do you know the geometry of a good replacement fork? I want to use the bike for flying and touring in 3rd world countries. How robust, reliable, is the breakaway system
  • 05-05-2015
    chrisx
    +maybe my question is this,
    I have seen breakaway road bikes, and guys with skinny tires saying they are happy.
    Was the Ritchey breakaway system made to withstand bumps and gravel with a 200 pound rider and 30 pounds of gear?
  • 05-05-2015
    senor_mikey
    any updates on the availability of the new Commando Fat bike? I assume they got caught up in the LA dock strike. but I've read that the backlog is being worked down.

Thanks
    Mike
  • 05-07-2015
    takuzinis
    Wouldn't be nice to have WCS Alloy/Comp Bullmoose option for us budget bike lovers as well? I know, Dave, you have policy not to speculate about any upcoming products here ;)
  • 05-14-2015
    senor_mikey
    Ritchey has a breakaway touring bike that is supposed to be available this fall that will fit 650B x 2.1 tires or 700C x 40. see Ritchey's New Breakaway Tourer - The Radavist

mike
  • 05-18-2015
    95bonty
    Message for Dave.
    I've just got my hands on one of the new blue 2015 P650b frames - can you confirm what the colour/paint codes are for that blue and the red of the decals? I'm looking to get a fork colour matched...Cheers!
  • 06-03-2015
    dddjr
    Cross posting here as I wasn't sure where to ask. Sorry for doubling up!

Question for the forum members or Ritchey Dave: Although I sure it can't be recommended, am I doing any lasting harm to a road logic frame if I slide 135 XT hubs into the 130 dropouts? Thanks.
  • 06-30-2015
    chickenlegs
    Hello Dave (and all). What is the max rear tire size for the 2015 P-650B? Thanks much!
  • 06-30-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    +maybe my question is this,
    I have seen breakaway road bikes, and guys with skinny tires saying they are happy.
    Was the Ritchey breakaway system made to withstand bumps and gravel with a 200 pound rider and 30 pounds of gear?

Yes, we used to make a mountain frame that had no problems. Also I took the Cross frame with some burley tires on a week long bike packing trip with over 30lbs of gear and miles and miles of rough single track. It performed seamlessly.
  • 06-30-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

any updates on the availability of the new Commando Fat bike? I assume they got caught up in the LA dock strike. but I've read that the backlog is being worked down.

Thanks
    Mike

Hey Mike,
    They're finally here. Contact your local bike shop to special order one.
  • 06-30-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 95bonty View Post
    Message for Dave.
    I've just got my hands on one of the new blue 2015 P650b frames - can you confirm what the colour/paint codes are for that blue and the red of the decals? I'm looking to get a fork colour matched...Cheers!

Unfortunately our paint codes are specific to our vendor and don't translate well. You're best off having whoever is painting your fork take a look at the frame and try and match it that way.
  • 06-30-2015
    ritchey_dave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dddjr View Post
    Cross posting here as I wasn't sure where to ask. Sorry for doubling up!

Question for the forum members or Ritchey Dave: Although I sure it can't be recommended, am I doing any lasting harm to a road logic frame if I slide 135 XT hubs into the 130 dropouts? Thanks.

That's more a question for your fellow MTBRers, as a Ritchey representative I can't condone modifying our frames. You might want to look up "cold setting" if you're going to do that though.