mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ritchey hubs-how do you get the freewheel off?

I have a Ritchey rear wheel that's maybe 5 yrs old, and the freehub is loose. I have a replacement Shimano hub I got from Ritchey on warranty a while back, but just now I'm trying to swap it out, and can't figure out how to get the freehub off! Help!

I downloaded a service bulleting from the Ritchey site that shows how to get the axle out by un-doing the axle nuts on the non-drive side, but it doesn't say anything about removing the hub itself. Once I get the spacer off the drive side, there's no obvious retention circlip or anything that holds the freehub to the axle.

Former Bike Wrench
    First, if your talking about the Free Hub Body...you cannot swap out the Ritchey one with a Shimano one. They are not the same and will not fit. You need a Formula Free Hub Body. Once the cassette, axle, and bearings are removed you will need a 11mm Hex wrench to remove the FH Body.

http://www.formulahubs.com/popwindow/pop5.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My mistake-

I assumed what I had was a Shimao freehub body, but based on the diagram in the link you posted, mine is a Formula.

In that diagram, in the top exploded view of the hub assy, the dust seal on the far right looks to be non-removeable without destroying it. But if that's what I need to do, so be it.

Have you yourself ever taken one apart?

Former Bike Wrench
    I have taken FH Bodies off of several Formula made hubs (Ritchey, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, lower end Bontrager). Whatever machine in Taiwan that puts on the FH Body is set way too high...they can be a real ***** to get off. I've had the best success putting the 11mm Hex wrench on a vise and turning the wheel to get them off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sooo...

This seal I mentioned, can you confirm it's existence, and the fact that I have to destroy it to get to the axle nuts over the FH outer bearing?

Or is there a method of getting to the axle nuts that I'm not seeing?

My hub is a Ritchey. With the cassette removed, there is a spacer on the axle which is retained (or not) with a 2mm hex wrench, THEN you see this irremoveable seal down in the FH covering any cone nuts. Have you seen this?

Former Bike Wrench
    I apologize...the Ritchey FH Body removal is a little different from other Formula hubs

Here are the instructions from Ritchey:

To remove the freehub, you are going to have to remove the cassette,then loosen the set screw spacer nut on the drive side, pop out the axel with a light tap of the mallet, (to the non drive side) then with a 12mm allen, go in from the non drive side and loosen the free hub. Ritchey offers a special 12mm Allen wrench to make re-installation easier. Please consult your dealer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks!!