Thread: Ritchey Comp

the new Gilbert Grape

Ritchey Comp

I picked up a late 90's Ritchey Comp frame a while back, and just now getting it built up. The components were mostly taken from another bike - a new front derailer and seat post were required, but otherwise it's a "budget build" from stuff that I've owned for years.

There's been a lot of discussion of what's VRC lately. This isn't that old, but maybe it's a future "classic."

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    That is one big Ritchey. Nice bike! Looks like Shimano is printed down the side of that seatpost... is that a Dura-Ace post?

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff
    That is one big Ritchey. Nice bike! Looks like Shimano is printed down the side of that seatpost... is that a Dura-Ace post?
    Yep, the seat post is a Dura Ace.

The frame is 21" with a 23" top tube, so it's big but not huge. The frame was available in 22" and 23" sizes too. Those were big bikes!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    the build is the most iconoclast. a slap in the face of VRC purists.
    teh fork and stem on that bike...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    the build is the most iconoclast. a slap in the face of VRC purists.
    teh fork and stem on that bike...
    Don't forget the carbon handle bar. I am impure.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    If it says Ritchey on the downtube it's pretty classy.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Cool.

Is that frame set up (stock) for the rear V-brake?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Holy Pachysandra tsunami, those are some healthy plants!

NIce bike too

Not yet VRC, but of sooo close. I think the peanut gallery'll let you slide
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    If it says Ritchey on the downtube it's pretty classy.
    Agreed! Also, I think the later ones make for great riders, as there's less temptation to keep the build 'pure'.

Side note: It seems like Ritchey went back and forth a lot on the name of the 'entry level' (relative concept, of course) hand-made bike: P-23, Comp-23 became Crazy Pete and Comp all are more-or-less the same and made with the same tubing. I imagine the later Comp is suspension corrected, however, which means it's likely almost identical to the previous Comp Shocker model.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    Is that frame set up (stock) for the rear V-brake?
    Yep, it was intended for a v-brake. The frame is from '97 or '98.

On frames intended for cantis, Ritchey ran a small noodle by the seat tube that required no cable housing from the front of the bike to the rear brake. It was a neat setup; although on a CX bike there was no barrel adjuster for the rear brake. However, on this frame there's a slotted cable stop on the top tube just before the seat tube, making it pretty difficult to use anything but a v-brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Agreed! Also, I think the later ones make for great riders, as there's less temptation to keep the build 'pure'.

Side note: It seems like Ritchey went back and forth a lot on the name of the 'entry level' (relative concept, of course) hand-made bike: P-23, Comp-23 became Crazy Pete and Comp all are more-or-less the same and made with the same tubing. I imagine the later Comp is suspension corrected, however, which means it's likely almost identical to the previous Comp Shocker model.

if i recall correctly, the tubing does change slightly over the years. Or at least the name of the tubing changes.

as for the modern mods on this bike, it doesn't really bother me on a bike this late, in fact if the frame is a 97 or 98 most would be correct or close anyway. BUT... if this was say an '81 and it had M952 V brakes on it I would be calling the local authorities.

mtbr member
    That's sweet Eric I want a ride report
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    if i recall correctly, the tubing does change slightly over the years. Or at least the name of the tubing changes.

as for the modern mods on this bike, it doesn't really bother me on a bike this late, in fact if the frame is a 97 or 98 most would be correct or close anyway. BUT... if this was say an '81 and it had M952 V brakes on it I would be calling the local authorities.
    I think the tubing on all of those was called Logic Prestige all along, but the earlier ones were fully TIG'd (exclude P-23 Team) and the later ones had a combination of TIG welding and fillet brazing.

On the mods to an early bike, I agree, although I'd have a lot of respect for the rider if he or she had been riding it for 28 or 29 years, with functional updates, and didn't realize it had collector value. Regardless, if it ended up in my garage, it'd be restored!

Edit: By the way, sweet bike!!!
    Last edited by cegrover; 06-06-2009 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    I think the tubing on all of those was called Logic Prestige all along, but the earlier ones were fully TIG'd (exclude P-23 Team) and the later ones had a combination of TIG welding and fillet brazing.

On the mods to an early bike, I agree, although I'd have a lot of respect for the rider if he or she had been riding it for 28 or 29 years, with functional updates, and didn't realize it had collector value. Regardless, if it ended up in my garage, it'd be restored!

Edit: By the way, sweet bike!!!

ok, you made me look it up. It was called Logic Comp Prestige in later years. Don't know if that was a difference in butting or a difference in the actual metal...

The early ones were TIG'd and brazed too (at the rear triangle).

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    ok, you made me look it up. It was called Logic Comp Prestige in later years. Don't know if that was a difference in butting or a difference in the actual metal...

The early ones were TIG'd and brazed too (at the rear triangle).
    Good catch - I'd forgotten about the added 'comp'. A quick look at the available catalogs (many, many thanks to those who set up www.oldmountainbikes.com) shows that the 1990 P-23 tubing was "Ritchey Logic Prestige", which was the top tube set that year. "Ritchey Logic Comp Prestige" first appeared in the 1992 catalog and was used on Comp 23 and Everest, with "WCS Logic Prestige" positioned above it (used on P-21 and P-22). The 1991 catalog is missing, but MOMBAT (thanks there, too, as always) indicates the same as 1990; so the change was likely 1992.

I'd like to know the tubing differences, even if only out of pure curiosity.