swag ho Administrator

Ritchey Breakaway video

Sneak peak on this review.

I don't want to type reviews anymore. I'll just shoot nerdy videos.

Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

just another bleepin SSer
    I just sold my BreakAway road bike. Definitely was a good bike, though I never traveled with it (which is why I sold it). Seemed my 200lb plus body weight was on the border for what the lower joint could hold, as I did sometimes get some creaking noises down there.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed.org
    I just sold my BreakAway road bike. Definitely was a good bike, though I never traveled with it (which is why I sold it). Seemed my 200lb plus body weight was on the border for what the lower joint could hold, as I did sometimes get some creaking noises down there.
    I enjoy having a travel bike (S&S-coupled Waltworks 29er). I was thinking about a BreakAway CX frame though, as I just as often want a road bike on a trip, and the cost of the off-the-shelf travel bikes are pretty reasonable (Surly's Travelers Check being the other option).

The other option, and one I've been PM'ing with a guy this morning about, is fitting a normal full suspension bike into a travel case. With a little more effort than the Waltworks, I can get my Turner Flux into the S&S hardcase. While the rear-end needs to come off, the incremental effort above the rest of the disassembly isn't too bad.

mtbr member
    I'd like to see a shoot out between this bike and the Ibis Tranny.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi
    I'd like to see a shoot out between this bike and the Ibis Tranny.
    The Ibis Tranny doesn't exist yet. There are prototypes for employees but there is no delivery date yet.

This Ritchey is a little more old school in spec (fork, bars) and geometry. I'll have to pedal it around later.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    The Ibis Tranny doesn't exist yet. There are prototypes for employees but there is no delivery date yet.fc
    Looks like they are getting close:

"We hope to then turn the production line on in August."

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/tranny/

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    The other option, and one I've been PM'ing with a guy this morning about, is fitting a normal full suspension bike into a travel case. With a little more effort than the Waltworks, I can get my Turner Flux into the S&S hardcase. While the rear-end needs to come off, the incremental effort above the rest of the disassembly isn't too bad.
    I removed the derailleurs, brakes, fork, seatpost, pedals, big ring and rear shock on my Med NRS1 and folded the rear triangle over the top tube to fit into the S&S softcase. $25 second checked bag fee on United.
    Last edited by rj2; 07-14-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    I removed the derailleurs, brakes, fork, seatpost, pedals, big ring and rear shock on my Med NRS1 and folded the rear triangle over the top tube to fit into the S&S softcase. $25 second checked bag fee on United.
    The hard case is unforgiving on trying to squeeze more than 26x26" in.

Here is my size large Flux. Rear wheel goes on next, then the "compression members" caps, and the box is ready to close. Not pictured are the very cool S&S frame protector pads that wrap all the components.

mtbr member
    Hows does the seatpost stay in position? Doesn't look like there's a clamp there....

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi
    Looks like they are getting close:

"We hope to then turn the production line on in August."

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/tranny/
    The operative word is 'hope'. They would sell a ton of that bike I think. Even if it wasn't folding, folks would be into it.

Here's a pic from Interbike. The case is from Ritchey.

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    WOW!!!

That's like putting a new bike together. That is a lot of work. How do y'all deal with the cables when the frame is split? On these folding bikes, all the cables have connectors so they come apart.

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cantonkiddo
    Hows does the seatpost stay in position? Doesn't look like there's a clamp there....
    Each bolt is a clamp! So it is actually clamped twice.

Here's other pics.

I did a test ride yesterday and there was no way for me to tell that this was a folding/coupled bike. It was solid. The titanium was smoooth. The steep seating position was scary.

Then my Crank Brothers pedals detonated. Bummer.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    WOW!!!

That's like putting a new bike together. That is a lot of work. How do y'all deal with the cables when the frame is split? On these folding bikes, all the cables have connectors so they come apart.

fc
    Plenty of ways to get the cables loose without "breaking" them, though I do like the Ritchey style connectors.

On my bikes I have full length housing with mechanical discs, so all I need to do is snip a few zip ties and remove the cable at the lever. Derailleur cables are much of the same (though can't remove the cable at the shifter, so need to keep the bars close.

Does the Ritchey require the cranks to be removed? Or pedals? Neither of my bikes has room for the chainrings when the cranks are mounted, so they need to be removed (pedals can stay on). In the early days of S&S bikes though, I saw some roadbikes could fit in the case with the cranks, and they'd use folding pedals (prob not the lightest or highest quality, but convenient) to fit without removal.

swag ho Administrator

Does the Ritchey require the cranks to be removed? Or pedals? Neither of my bikes has room for the chainrings when the cranks are mounted, so they need to be removed (pedals can stay on). In the early days of S&S bikes though, I saw some roadbikes could fit in the case with the cranks, and they'd use folding pedals (prob not the lightest or highest quality, but convenient) to fit without removal.
    The crank stays on. I just checked the video above and you'll see it about halfway through.

Pedals might be able to stay on. Pedals is easy though compared to the rest of the assembly. The key to pedals is: must have an allen socket and don't overtighten.

fc
    IPA will save America

just another bleepin SSer
    The connection on the downtube is upgraded from the steel road bike version I had. That was the one connection I had some concerns with. I wonder if that is a change they made for all their bikes, or just ti or just MTB?
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Each bolt is a clamp! So it is actually clamped twice.
    Is it my imagination or is the upper join just held together by the 2 seat tube clamps and the seat post? That's kind of cool

mtbr member

i miss my breakaway...

I had one of the first Break Away road steeds (steel). I used it quite a bit, took it to Europe once. Not only was is super slick to travel with, what many people might not realize is that the bike actually rode really well. When I first got the bike, I didn't even build it. I just left it in the case and jumped a flight to Europe. I remember un-packing it in my hotel room. Could have been a big problem had something been missing or whatnot but on the other hand, the bike is so well packed from the factory I didn't want to mess with that before the long journey to Europe.

I ended up selling it when my job situation changed and I was suddenly not in a position to take long bike vacations any more. I regret that and I regret selling the bike!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Is it my imagination or is the upper join just held together by the 2 seat tube clamps and the seat post? That's kind of cool
    umm yeah.

sup oger?

fc
    IPA will save America

VRC Illuminati
    Patrick is a nice guy. I picked up my Otis Guy from him a few years ago.

Cool Break-Away.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The operative word is 'hope'. They would sell a ton of that bike I think. Even if it wasn't folding, folks would be into it.

Here's a pic from Interbike. The case is from Ritchey.

fc
    [edit: Just noticed that the pic above of the Ibis travel bike is full susp (a Mojo?), and what is on their website as the Tranny is a HT ... so they are completely different ... aside from the green color.]

Call me a skeptic, but that Ibis isn't any more of a travel bike than my Flux. Cranks are removed, all pivot points are disconnected, rear derailleur appears to be removed, etc.

It takes about an hour to reassemble my Flux, and that is working without a workstand in a hotel room. The most difficult part is getting the pivots back together and the need for multiple Torx tools.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Don't tell the airlines its a bike when you check it if you don't have to. Some have automatic fees (can be much higher) specifically for bikes, regardless of weight and size. Looks like sports equipment to me.

rj2
    mtbr member
    WOW!!!
    fc
    I detached the cables when I removed the derailleurs. It takes less than an hour to reassemble.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

flow where ever you go
    [edit: Just noticed that the pic above of the Ibis travel bike is full susp (a Mojo?), and what is on their website as the Tranny is a HT ... so they are completely different ... aside from the green color.]..

It takes about an hour to reassemble my Flux, and that is working without a workstand in a hotel room. The most difficult part is getting the pivots back together and the need for multiple Torx tools.
    Yes that's the Mojo. It disassembles and assembles very fast. I travel with mine that way. No bike stand and about 25 minutes tear down and 25 to build up. Just one side of the crank arm needs to come off. The stem and fork are pulled apart from the head tube but cables, brakes, and handlebar stay in place. The pivots are very fast to unbolt and bolt and not all need be removed to fold the rear triangle over the front.

I am looking forward to the Tranny though.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Nice Ritchey

That's nice work on the frame. What a beauty. Don't you have more bikes than you have time to ride now Francis?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Portola Vince
    That's nice work on the frame. What a beauty. Don't you have more bikes than you have time to ride now Francis?
    Yessir. On my todo list is ride twice a day now.

This Ritchey is pretty nice and all the Ritchey components are very cool.

Here's a Jet 9

Here's the fugeees.

fc
    IPA will save America